Caesar Creek State Park Perimeter Loop Trail

Caesar Creek State Park Perimeter Loop Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waynesville, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

bridge out

old growth

Just did this trail today was a little muddy due to the high water in flooding. But a great trail. A beautiful trail would recommend it to anyone

Decent overall, but trail could use some maintenance. Also, I went today (March 12, 2018) and two significant portions of the trail were completely underwater.
Two stretches are along roads, one of which is quite busy.
Some nice secluded stretches and a pleasant stroll through Pioneer Village.

Really nice trail. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do all of it due to all the flooding. I would recommend waiting if it’s been raining a lot during the week or checking the water level before you go. Because, a lot of the trail is right next to the lake.

Great trail, kinda reminded me of the Burr Oak Backpack Trail but half the distance, lots of views of the lake, a little sketchy hiking along route 73 and on the bridge, the whole trail was challenging yet fun due to the week of on and off rain prior and a layer of leaves which then turned it into a "slip n slide", all in all I enjoyed it and will return

Best hike I've done in Ohio! Challenging in areas, I loved that it got hilly and narrow. However, didn't like that parts of it were on the main road. Make sure to pay attention to signs because it's easy to get off track to other trails at some parts (I recommend taking a phone picture of the trail markers to refer to). Also, according to the maps the trail is actually 13 miles not 11 and takes roughly 5 hours.

Great hike! Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the slightly sketchy highway walk.

It's a good trail maintained pretty well if you do the whole loop bring lunch

this trail has what all different ohio trails have combined into one trail. it was exhilarating running a quarter mile over the interstate bridge, while it was down pouring. yes it was a torrential down pour for 80% of the hike. I recommend this trail for anyone who really enjoys what secluded hiking is.

Really nice trail. Best in Ohio I've seen, perhaps second behind Hocking Hills. worth a trip

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

great trail, perfect for a 5hr day hikes. very muddy, though

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Nice fun trail. Really good views
But to many side trails That don't line up with the map..

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Lovely views of both the lake and the dam made this a nice longer trail. Well marked trails made it easy to traverse. Only downside was the amount of trail that was on the surrounding roads. Would recommend if you are looking for a 10+ mile trail to knock off the winter rust from your hiking boots.

Monday, February 20, 2017

well marked trail. hiked from visitor center to day lodge and back...about 6 miles. except for a few small sections, most of the trail is easy. most of the trail follows the lake...very scenic

Sunday, December 18, 2016

This is a fun hike that takes about 4 hours at a decent pace. Little under 12 miles for full loop. I would recommend starting at Fifty Spring Campground and going counter clockwise. This will put you near the visitor center just over half way, good place for a break. The 73 bridge crossing is not much fun, lots of traffic and not much room to walk.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I was so happy to get back to hiking after several days of biking. But they say be careful what you wish for because it may come true. This was a very long day. But beautiful views along the way.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

The lake is gorgeous. The hike is a very long day but very worth every step of it.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I hiked the perimeter trail about a year ago. My plan was to spend the night along the way, but I ended up hiking the whole trail in one day. It was raining, so I decided just to head home. There are some nice views of the lake, a waterfall and a swinging bridge along the way. There was some road walking at both ends of the lake, which I'm not a fan of. It was a nice hike overall, though.

A video of my trip can by found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Loved it! This is the Fork Trail and goes on forever but is by far not boring. Starts at a playground, into the woods, out to the open by the water, back into the woods to a small waterfall, and to a swinging bridge. Will go again!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

I thought this was a great trail for those complaining it was to narrow or there was to many spider webs stop being a wine bag. It's called hiking and it's the woods. It took me 4 hours and 1 min to complete this trail I just didn't like that some of the off trials were closed, but I'll definitely be coming back.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

We started at the boot ramp off of the SR 73 just after 9. We then went East (clockwise) around the lake. It took us around 5 hours and 30 minutes with breaks/lunch to complete. (We stopped for lunch at the visitors center which was a great break a little over half way.) Overall, the trail was okay. It was muddy and overgrown in several areas but the trees provided shade which was great. The most disappointing part was the lack of trail markings in some areas, especially on roads. Often, we guessed which way to go, hoping it was right. There were some beautiful parts like the falls and rivers but the poor markings killed our enthusiasm. Again, it was overall okay. My advice would be to avoid going when it has rained, find a stick to use to clear spider webs from the path, and note that the west side of the lake is more hilly so plan your route accordingly. Happy trails!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

NOT GOOD FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING SERIOUSLY ALMOST DIED LIKE A THOUSAND TIMES!!

Carrying a bike up stairs LIKE FIVE TIMES sucked so badly..

Why'd this trail come up good for mountain biking? Straight lies.

The trail was so pretty though and by foot I would have enjoyed myself.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

This is a great trail. Pretty well marked. It can get a bit overgrown in spots during the summer.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The new hanging bridge was cool! Definetly bring lots of water and snacks if you plan on hiking the entire loop.

Friday, April 24, 2015

hiked the loop a couple different times.not a difficult hike but a fun hike.beware of ticks in the summer. The only bad thing was having to go on the highway on the north side of the loop. other than the boats being noisy it is a nice hike.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

After hiking the Smokey's, I was worried that hiking in Ohio would be a let down. Even though it's not the Smokey, it was a great hike that I am planning to do several more times.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

I've frequently enjoyed Caesar Creek and exploring all the trails connected along the edge of the "lake" (flooded river) at one time or another! I highly recommend taking the trails south of route 73 on either side of the lake that end at either the nature center to the west or the spillway to the east (and pass through Pioneer Village). Looped them together using the dam bridge and (unfortunately) 73 itself a few times for about a 4-4.5 hour hike. Gorge loop south of that is short by comparison but a pretty area!
Not sure why the map of the perimeter loop trail on the northwest side of the lake looks so short on this page, but haven't fully explored that area yet as it seems overgrown and covered in horse poop...

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

We broke this loop up over a weekend, (we were hiking with a 3 year old) She did about 5 miles over the course of the hike. The rest my husband carried her. It wad a nice hike, I highly recommend paying the two dollars at the army corps office for the better trail map. Otherwise we were a bit lost at first. Once we got on the trails they were well marked and nothing terribly difficult. A lot of pretty views of the lake. There are two falls, one was very small and we would have walked right over it if we were not looking the other is really of by flat fork.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

I took this trail to try out some new gear and planned on spending the night. Ended up completing the entire thing in around 5 hours without an issue., total mileage is closer to 13mi including the road walks. Very scenic walking along the lake majority of the time. Also in mid spring the flower blooms are fantastic!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ran a half marathon on this trail. It was brutal and wonderful. If I lived closer, I'd be here pretty frequently.