Buzzardroost Rock Trail

Buzzardroost Rock Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Union, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

The most popular of all trails in the Edge of Appalachia Preserve system is the one that leads to Buzzardroost Rock, which stands like a giant limestone monument far above the waters of Ohio Brush Creek. The panoramic scene from this hilltop has been called Ohios most spectacular view. Buzzardroost Rock trail is not a loop, and the round trip hike of three miles is considered moderately difficult, with steep grades and steps. Preserve naturalists suggest that hikers plan to spend a minimum of two to three hours for the round trip, allowing time to observe the natural features along the way and enjoy the scenic view from the top of the rock.

Loved this trail beautiful view from the top a little work but well worth it. Cannot wait to go back.

One of my favorites. Can be extremely muddy. I wish it connected to other trails.

Nice, clean trail, but no where to sit and rest until the end.

Fantastic trail. The view at the top is unbeatable for Ohio. Trail is clearly marked the whole way up. I had my kids (as young as 4) with me and they did great. Not a really hard hike at all. Steeper parts are spread out.

Had an Hour long driver to get to the trail, and it was worth it. It was slightly muddy but manageable. The hike was not very hard, and the views were great. We look forward to going back in the fall when the leaves are changing color.

A beautiful and occasionally challenging trail. Some sections are quite easy, while others are a bit tricky to navigate but nonetheless enjoyable. If you take time to look around as you walk you’ll see some beautiful, very deep gorges framed by some impressive cliffs/rock formations. It can be muddy so I’d plan accordingly especially if it has recently rained.
The trail is fairly remote, but once you find it, it’s pretty well marked. The path is well defined, but also someone took the time to put orange marks on the trees along the trail which is quite helpful. The view at the trail end is spectacular. I would also advise that if you do bring young children, keep them close as there are several areas where there are very significant drop offs, especially at the trail end overlook. This trail would be especially beautiful in the fall.

I'd say this is more properly categorized as easy. Would be great for families with kids. Nothing much to look at until you reach the top, which is a beautiful view. We drove quite a ways to get to this place, so I was a little underwhelmed with it.

Very pretty trail, can get muddy. Lots of pretty streams and the lookout is relaxing. Pretty easy hike.

lots of up and down hills! wonderful hike with a beautiful view ! Even found a buzzard roosting at the look out point!

It has some very pretty views.

We hike this every year, typically in the beginning of summer and the early fall. My kids love this hike. The view at the end of the trail is amazing! Bring your water bottle and a lunch and enjoy the view!

Our family loves this trail!! Interesting sights to see on the way to the breathtaking view at the top of Buzzard’s Roost!

This is a great hiking trail in Adams County! The valley is so beautiful in the summer! and the fall is gorgeous at the top look out! I took 3 kids and was 5m pregnant when we hiked it. It's not impossible but a great work out. We took snacks and just relaxed while we rested at the top! Coming down is much faster! Took us about 4 hours. But we took out time. Lot's of wildlife. And just a great time to be with nature and away from society.

Loved hiking here as a little girl with my dad!

Wonderful in spring and fall. Hiking it in 90 degree weather is a bit much for me. The fall trees are beautiful.

Great hike and wonderful view

One of my favorite trails in this area. Spectacular views all the way through with an unbelievable ending.

This trail has a few steep places, but can be managed by children and seniors who are in moderate physical shape. The view from Buzzard's Roost Rock is amazing and after a leisurely hike, it is a great spot to relax, enjoy the view and picnic. Be sure to take your trash with you! I highly recommend this trail.

Now living in the west, I have fond memories of the magnificent Buzzard Roost overlook. Hiking to it with Cub Scouts, kids, and now grandkids, it is always a thrill. Highly recommended!

A great scenic hike with an incredible view!

One of my favorite hikes in Ohio. The view at the end of the hike is breathtaking!

Enjoy the beautiful view, it is worth the effort! Adams County's version of a hike in the Smoky Mountains!

Such a beautiful hike--especially when the fall colors are out! It was a perfect distance for our young kids--long enough to get them outside and get a workout but not too long that we were dragging/carrying them at the end. I think we will make this an annual trip!

Used to hike this before it became so popular. There's limited parking and with so many people hiking this trail now you can't get a spot.

Hiked it 3 times great local trail.

Great trail! Definitely coming back

Friday, June 16, 2017

Hiked this on a frigid snowy day in January and it was still very enjoyable. Beautiful view, waterfalls, peaceful meadows and some abandoned buildings to explore, very nice! My only complaint is that I wandered around the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find the actual start of the trail, so be warned, if there's snow on the ground the trail is very hard to see.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

great day hike with a well deserved wide open panoramic view as a reward.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Took the old trail off the high way, could tell that it hadn't been used overt often in the past few years. Beautiful view at the top.