Buzzardroost Rock Trail

Buzzardroost Rock Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Union, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

The most popular of all trails in the Edge of Appalachia Preserve system is the one that leads to Buzzardroost Rock, which stands like a giant limestone monument far above the waters of Ohio Brush Creek. The panoramic scene from this hilltop has been called Ohios most spectacular view. Buzzardroost Rock trail is not a loop, and the round trip hike of three miles is considered moderately difficult, with steep grades and steps. Preserve naturalists suggest that hikers plan to spend a minimum of two to three hours for the round trip, allowing time to observe the natural features along the way and enjoy the scenic view from the top of the rock.

We hike this every year, typically in the beginning of summer and the early fall. My kids love this hike. The view at the end of the trail is amazing! Bring your water bottle and a lunch and enjoy the view!

Our family loves this trail!! Interesting sights to see on the way to the breathtaking view at the top of Buzzard’s Roost!

This is a great hiking trail in Adams County! The valley is so beautiful in the summer! and the fall is gorgeous at the top look out! I took 3 kids and was 5m pregnant when we hiked it. It's not impossible but a great work out. We took snacks and just relaxed while we rested at the top! Coming down is much faster! Took us about 4 hours. But we took out time. Lot's of wildlife. And just a great time to be with nature and away from society.

Loved hiking here as a little girl with my dad!

Wonderful in spring and fall. Hiking it in 90 degree weather is a bit much for me. The fall trees are beautiful.

Great hike and wonderful view

One of my favorite trails in this area. Spectacular views all the way through with an unbelievable ending.

This trail has a few steep places, but can be managed by children and seniors who are in moderate physical shape. The view from Buzzard's Roost Rock is amazing and after a leisurely hike, it is a great spot to relax, enjoy the view and picnic. Be sure to take your trash with you! I highly recommend this trail.

Now living in the west, I have fond memories of the magnificent Buzzard Roost overlook. Hiking to it with Cub Scouts, kids, and now grandkids, it is always a thrill. Highly recommended!

A great scenic hike with an incredible view!

One of my favorite hikes in Ohio. The view at the end of the hike is breathtaking!

Enjoy the beautiful view, it is worth the effort! Adams County's version of a hike in the Smoky Mountains!

Such a beautiful hike--especially when the fall colors are out! It was a perfect distance for our young kids--long enough to get them outside and get a workout but not too long that we were dragging/carrying them at the end. I think we will make this an annual trip!

Used to hike this before it became so popular. There's limited parking and with so many people hiking this trail now you can't get a spot.

Hiked it 3 times great local trail.

Great trail! Definitely coming back

Hiked this on a frigid snowy day in January and it was still very enjoyable. Beautiful view, waterfalls, peaceful meadows and some abandoned buildings to explore, very nice! My only complaint is that I wandered around the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find the actual start of the trail, so be warned, if there's snow on the ground the trail is very hard to see.

great day hike with a well deserved wide open panoramic view as a reward.

Took the old trail off the high way, could tell that it hadn't been used overt often in the past few years. Beautiful view at the top.