Burr Oak Reservoir Lakeview Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(46)
Burr Oak State Park

Burr Oak Reservoir Lakeview Trail is a 22 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glouster, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 22.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,201 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful trail! So many beautiful views, gorgeous drive through Wayne National Forest. It was muddy the first day then the second it dried up! Definitely coming back!

I did the northern part of the trail for a half marathon in the fall of 2019. Fantastic views all around the lake with challenging terrain but track usually wide enough for an ATV. I can’t wait to come back to explore more of the nearby trails.

flooded

I have done this trail before and had a great hike. Unfortunately the water levels are unusually high right now and several parts of the trail are flooded out. I recommend waiting until the water level recedes to try this one. The docks are currently closed for flooding, so once they reopen it should be better.

Amazing views, I did 12.5 miles and got over 4,000 ft of elevation. It was pretty enduring.

I did the Lakeview trail last Saturday. Weather was beautiful, trail was in great shape. My watch said over 23 miles and a lot more elevation than alltrails, but that's what I was looking for. The trail was in good shape, and particularly in the evening there were some beautiful views across the lake. It's marked pretty well, and the alltrails map is right on. All in all, a wonderful way to spend a day.

Went off path on a rarely used trail that led to a parking lot. Out and back. A few creek crossings and spots with rough terrain. Lots of fallen trees

Backpacked this trail in the beginning of March. Did not encounter any other hikers during my 3 day venture. Well blazed but rather muddy in the northern section where it shares with the horse trail. Hiking clockwise from the nature center the Burr Oak Cove Campground is a nice spot to camp night 1 with pit toilets, fire rings, picnic tables and level tent pads. The campground is found by a short (half mile) sparsely white triangle marked connector trail. After the Tom Jenkins dam, the first small stream crossing near pine forests will lead you to the connector trail. Breaking the 22 miles into 2 nights brought me to Dock 3 for my second overnight. Many nice lake views with some history and other sights like the dam and rock outcroppings make this hike one to put on the bucket list for Ohio.

flooded
icy

Awesome hike. Stayed overnight in June the north side of the lake. Entered from the park off of 107 and hiked to the lake. There was a little bit of climbing through creek beds but not too difficult (maybe 1.5 miles to the lake shore). Lots of Fish to catch. Will be going back to hike other parts of the trail.

My g/f and I completed this trail in about two days. We arrived late on a Saturday and started at 1 P.M. The course is tough but manageable. The views are awesome. Make sure you bring a trekking poles or a hiking staff for spider webs.

I hiked this with a buddy it was a pretty good trail we did it in two days. My only issue the trail heads were not marked well and we ended up hiking about 27 miles due to a few miss turns that cost us.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Ran around the lake along the trail last weekend. Was a nice trail. Markings are clear except for north section. I went off trail a few times. Tricky when you come out at Sunday Creek Rd. You have to walk 20-30 meters to your right to see the creek crossing to get you back on the trail. The north section is quite muddy from horses but that is part of trail running. Will go back to run this again.

Tue Oct 09 2018

we started at the nature center and headed north around to the main camp ground. we then finished up the remainder of the hike the next morning. Our first day was rough due to the route we took had the most elevation changes and having to contend with the mud on the bridle trail. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. I only had to pull out the app maybe 3 times in the whole 22 miles to get us back on track. We seen 5 other hikers near the start of our trek, and 4 near the end the next day. Otherwise didn't see a single soul on the path the whole rest of the way. There were some very interesting rock formations that definitely were worth stopping and exploring. Some of the views from the trail make very nice photo spots. I also liked the fact that there was access to water at several locations along the trail, so no need to filter water from the reservoir. There were also restrooms available at a couple of stops along the way. I really enjoyed this track and will definitely be back again next year to repeat the adventure.

Thu Sep 06 2018

This was a great trail to backpack. My husband and I split it into three days. We parked at the north trailhead and hiked to the main campground, then to Dock 2, and last back to the car. We are beginners so it was perfect. Loved the trails on the east side, as they are a little more challenging.

Thu Aug 23 2018

I did this trail over two days. I started at Wildcat Hollow, hiked down to the State Campgrounds which were fantastic. Then hiked the rest of the trail back to the car on Saturday. Most of the free campgrounds were completely packed with day trippers. The horse trails on the North West part of the trail were the worst part of the trip. The dam, rock formations and occasional pine groves were beautiful. The spiders were absolutely a force of nature on their own. I was covered in webs, half digested cocooned bugs, and bites. While I permethrin treated my clothing, I had no issues with ticks. I am glad I did this trek but it was not my favorite. I think I might make it a Fall destination spot though as the views around the lower part of the lake were outstanding. I think it's more difficult than an easy. Some of the inclines were pretty challenging and they made me take a few breaks to catch my breath. Which is saying something as I am also a runner and my VO2 max is pretty decent. It might have been more difficult due to the fact that I had to use my trekking poles as spider clearing devices. Haha! I am rating it a 4 only because the horse trail section was pretty bad. Other than that, it was pretty amazing and worth the trip.

Tue Aug 07 2018

The trail is a grumpy old man, one minute it is great and the next it is an angry grumpy man that crapped himself. I took my son for his first backpacking trip and the section of trail from Dock 1 (southern most point, or mile 18 on the pdf map) to the northern end of the trail was beautiful, well marked, and well maintained. We saw a couple turkey, two bald eagles, and a deer! We camped at the open campground (free) and the only other visitors we saw were the raccoons in the middle of the night trying to get to our food bag in the tree. Luckily, the noxious gas coming from my rear end as a result of some "not-so-tasty three cheese chicken and zucchini pasta" and a strobe flashlight kept them from eating all our food. The second part of our hike was crap. The northern and northwestern portion of the trail is also a horseback riding trail. That fact, combined with the low elevation and swamp-like environment made for some of the muddiest trail conditions I have ever seen. The weight of the horses create a field of holes the size of 2 liters that fill with water and then make the entire trail nearly impassable. My son almost lost his boots three times. There were frogs living in the footprints of the horses. I have never seen sitting water on uphills and downhills until I hiked Burr Oak! Also, keep in mind that horses crap and through some miracle of defecation the horse crap is scattered between all the water filled holes so you are forced to navigate muddy/crap scattered/frog infested mine fields only to be excited that you are coming up to a steep incline... just to have your mind blown that somehow, gravity and water don't follow the laws of physics at Burr Oak. The last element of the trail that left a lasting impression was the spider web situation. I used my trekking poles to limit the number of spider webs that I ate. Walking into spider webs is expected on hikes, but this was like I was on a TV show where they try to see how much crap I can deal with before losing my s#!t! I would also have to give some props to the kamikaze gnats that repeated flew directly into my eyes. The open camp site, south eastern portion of the trail offer cool views and neat caves, and the beach was a pleasant escape at the end of our 2nd day! @Thefunnyreview1 #thefunnyreviewguy

Sat Jul 28 2018

Trees down every and it wasn’t marked very good for the trails

Wed Jun 27 2018

EGGS Hike - mud , overflowing streams , more mud and fallen trees. What’s not to love

Sat Feb 10 2018

not a big fan of the expense to go out here

Wed Sep 27 2017

A beautiful trail, well marked and well cleared. There was even a team of volunteers clearing trails while we hiked. We hiked the perimeter of the lake, simply called the backpack trail. Plenty of places to camp, very scenic lake views that always insisted on a nice break. A great place for anyone just starting out or veterans. Very relaxing. Can be pretty dry during the fall and looks like it would flood semi-easily during a rainy season. Water at every camp site and dock (except for dock #3, the fountains didn't work there). There weren't too many streams flowing, but granted it is fall (There was an extreme abundance of streams, they were just dry). Overall a beautiful place. Couldn't recommend enough.

Wed Sep 27 2017

I hiked from the dam to dock 4 and back and wow, this trail is charming. Beautiful views, quiet, lots of birds and the forest smelled so sweet and piney. Nice little rock formations, decent changes in elevation and a few steep places. I suggest trekking poles as the trail is already covered in dead leaves. It took me three hours exactly and that included several stops for photos and water. This trail is so much better than Wildcat Hollow which is right next door. There are several places to take a dip in the lake or filter water. A few trees blocking the trail but they’re easy to get over and the blow downs looked recent so I’m sure they’ll get cleaned up soon. I’m not sure I’d rate this section as easy, it’s more moderate. Loved it!

Sat Sep 09 2017

I started at Jenkins Dam and went to dock 1 and turned around. 6.8 miles. A few fallen trees and some places vegetation was taking over, but considering tail end of summer it was really nice.

Tue Sep 05 2017

Great trail. Started at dock 1 to Burr Oak Cove campground which was 3.8 miles due to a late start. Great views of the lake and wooded setting. Most of the trail is on the edge of the lake therefore the bugs and spider webs were everywhere. The trail to the campground is well traveled but only semi marked, but was worth the uphill journey to get to it. Was a perfect spot for a first solo backpacking trip.