Burr Oak Reservoir Lakeview Trail

Burr Oak Reservoir Lakeview Trail is a 22 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glouster, Ohio that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is a grumpy old man, one minute it is great and the next it is an angry grumpy man that crapped himself. I took my son for his first backpacking trip and the section of trail from Dock 1 (southern most point, or mile 18 on the pdf map) to the northern end of the trail was beautiful, well marked, and well maintained. We saw a couple turkey, two bald eagles, and a deer! We camped at the open campground (free) and the only other visitors we saw were the raccoons in the middle of the night trying to get to our food bag in the tree. Luckily, the noxious gas coming from my rear end as a result of some "not-so-tasty three cheese chicken and zucchini pasta" and a strobe flashlight kept them from eating all our food.

The second part of our hike was crap. The northern and northwestern portion of the trail is also a horseback riding trail. That fact, combined with the low elevation and swamp-like environment made for some of the muddiest trail conditions I have ever seen. The weight of the horses create a field of holes the size of 2 liters that fill with water and then make the entire trail nearly impassable. My son almost lost his boots three times. There were frogs living in the footprints of the horses. I have never seen sitting water on uphills and downhills until I hiked Burr Oak! Also, keep in mind that horses crap and through some miracle of defecation the horse crap is scattered between all the water filled holes so you are forced to navigate muddy/crap scattered/frog infested mine fields only to be excited that you are coming up to a steep incline... just to have your mind blown that somehow, gravity and water don't follow the laws of physics at Burr Oak.

The last element of the trail that left a lasting impression was the spider web situation. I used my trekking poles to limit the number of spider webs that I ate. Walking into spider webs is expected on hikes, but this was like I was on a TV show where they try to see how much crap I can deal with before losing my s#!t! I would also have to give some props to the kamikaze gnats that repeated flew directly into my eyes.

The open camp site, south eastern portion of the trail offer cool views and neat caves, and the beach was a pleasant escape at the end of our 2nd day! @Thefunnyreview1
#thefunnyreviewguy

Trees down every and it wasn’t marked very good for the trails

EGGS Hike - mud , overflowing streams , more mud and fallen trees. What’s not to love

not a big fan of the expense to go out here

A beautiful trail, well marked and well cleared. There was even a team of volunteers clearing trails while we hiked. We hiked the perimeter of the lake, simply called the backpack trail. Plenty of places to camp, very scenic lake views that always insisted on a nice break. A great place for anyone just starting out or veterans. Very relaxing. Can be pretty dry during the fall and looks like it would flood semi-easily during a rainy season. Water at every camp site and dock (except for dock #3, the fountains didn't work there). There weren't too many streams flowing, but granted it is fall (There was an extreme abundance of streams, they were just dry). Overall a beautiful place. Couldn't recommend enough.

I hiked from the dam to dock 4 and back and wow, this trail is charming. Beautiful views, quiet, lots of birds and the forest smelled so sweet and piney. Nice little rock formations, decent changes in elevation and a few steep places. I suggest trekking poles as the trail is already covered in dead leaves. It took me three hours exactly and that included several stops for photos and water. This trail is so much better than Wildcat Hollow which is right next door. There are several places to take a dip in the lake or filter water. A few trees blocking the trail but they’re easy to get over and the blow downs looked recent so I’m sure they’ll get cleaned up soon. I’m not sure I’d rate this section as easy, it’s more moderate. Loved it!

I started at Jenkins Dam and went to dock 1 and turned around. 6.8 miles. A few fallen trees and some places vegetation was taking over, but considering tail end of summer it was really nice.

Great trail. Started at dock 1 to Burr Oak Cove campground which was 3.8 miles due to a late start. Great views of the lake and wooded setting. Most of the trail is on the edge of the lake therefore the bugs and spider webs were everywhere. The trail to the campground is well traveled but only semi marked, but was worth the uphill journey to get to it. Was a perfect spot for a first solo backpacking trip.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Excellent challenge trails in all weather. Suggest the BTA EGGS annual challenge at this location! Bring water.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Nice trail with a lot of scenic views of the lake. Stopping points along the way are the Tom Jenkins Dam and a boat dock. Length varies by where you start the hike.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

note: the trail is part of a 39 mile backpacking loop network in Burr Oak SP and the Wayne NF.

Sunday, June 25, 2017