Buckeye Trail: Blue Hen to Jaite

Buckeye Trail: Blue Hen to Jaite is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boston, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My son is in Boy Scouts and is working on his Hikkng Merit Badge. Great trial, while we were hiking there were Trail Angels of the Buckeye Trail fixing up part of the trail. They were courteous and kind people. Lots of elevation and saw many signs of wildlife. Would definitely recommend.

great but a little muddy.

I think the only way to enjoy this hike is after either a several week drought in the summer or weeks of below freezing in the dead of winter. The mid was really awful and it took us forever to finish due to all of the slipping and slopping. The best parts were that it is well marked, good ups and downs and of course Blue Hen Falls in the beginning.

Great section. Lots of ups and downs. Clearly marked blazes. Lots of great views.

Well balanced trail with a lot of easier parts but some challenging climbs/descents. There were a lot of downed trees when I went down making it a bit more challenging in some spots

How is the muddy hill now? When I went down it in June it was pretty treacherous and I slid. I also had a problem getting up it. It's the hill with a couple of wood stairs at the bottom and a creek. We'd like to do this one again, but, I want to make sure that hill is passable now.

Nice moderate trail with a few decent accents. Nothing too strenuous. Nice views, quiet and once away from the falls area--few to no others on the trail. Nice day hike.

Really nice trail! I usually start at Boston Store and turn around at Jaite.

I agree with the review below that says that the trail averages moderate. There is a nice ridge walk here that is easy breezy, but there are some serious climbs as well.

If you continue past Jaite, the trail can get pretty sloppy and rough with mud.

Challenging and fun! We did this as part of a loop starting at the Boston Mills Visitor Center. We continued from here to Jaite, at which point we walked down Vaughn Rd to the Towpath. Took the Towpath back to the Visitor Center.
We will definitely hike this part again!

Moderate to difficult trail. Not for beginners. Nothing exceptional outside of wooded trails. Definitely challenging. Would like to revisit in the fall to see the foliage.

I like this trail listed as moderate, however I would say it averages moderate. The reason I'd take moderate as the average is because this trail goes from really kicking your butt with elevation change to fairly flat and easy. This trail should be listed as hot and cold! I loved it!

I actually did 2 miles more by exploring the blue blaze off the other side of the extension parking lot. It offered more elevation change and I was looking to achieve a personal record. The extra mile out took me to Brandywine parking lot and I turned around and hiked the mile back for an even 10 miles. Great work-out and everything is marked very well.

Great trail! 5 or 6 nice inclines.. Well maintained.. Not a lot of scenic views but there is a neat creek near the beginning to check out. Will definitely do it again!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Great . Come with water and food ! Up , up , up you go . Be prepared for that !

Saturday, June 17, 2017

fun day hike. good amount of inclines. don't underestimate the mud

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

I'm going with Colin on this one. This is the hardest trail I've done in CVNP and we've done most of them. This trail should be rated Difficult and not Moderate. There are several hills and at one point it seems there is one after the other. One hill was very muddy and difficult to get down (and up coming back). I slid on that one even with hiking boots on. Fortunately, there was a stream at the bottom and I got most of the mud off. Looking forward to doing this one again mid-summer.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

In my opinion this is the hardest section of the BT in the CVNP. I have done this section a few times because I like the challenge and it a good workout if you make it one. Some of the climbs are pretty steep and relatively frequent. I would say that this be rated hard because this should not be in the same category as other moderate rated trails in the area that is for sure. Love the challenge of it though. I have done harder trails elsewhere but this one is one of the harder in north east Ohio.

Monday, December 26, 2016

This was a great trail, but with the stream very high and flowing fast today, we weren't able to cross and only made it a mile and a half before having to turn around. Will definitely come back again.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Parked a car at both trail heads and hiked from Jaite to Blue Hen in about 2 hours. Come close to the freeway at one point and must cross one road, otherwise felt removed. A decent variety of views and terrain; well worn path is easy to follow. Recommend waterproof boots for the rainier months and for crossing a small stream.