Boch Hollow Nature Preserve

Boch Hollow Nature Preserve is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Marion, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

We went on a guided hike on the Buckeye Trail. The terrain was good and trails were well marked. There are 4 hills that take some effort, but not too difficult.

So I was flipping through my August 2017 copy of "Backpacker" magazine and on page 22 it showed a beautiful waterfall. Then the location in the Hocking Hills of Ohio piqued my interest. It's in a nature preserve and a permit is required so I got one. (You can email it in and they send you the permits and maps as pdf files. I got mine the next day.) The trail through the Preserve is a 4.2-mile trail that passes through woods, around ponds, and near numerous recess caves. It is accessed from the East, North, or West trailheads but, if it has been raining, don't use the West because the creek is too deep and there are no evident ways to cross. Use the North or East trailheads. The trail itself is an easy hike with switchbacks where necessary. I was impressed by the number of unblemished beech trees that lined the trail and that not one had any initials carved into it. I guess that folks respect Nature Preserves. The trail is rated as Hard, but it's really Moderate. There were no Hard areas. And the trail itself is particularly well-blazed and signed.

Permit required.

West Trailhead 39*37.648’ 082*25.906’
North Trailhead 39* 38.002’ 082* 25.110’
East Trailhead 39* 36.905’ 082* 23.910’
Park Office 39* 37.473’ 082* 24.164’