Blue Hen to Buttermilk Falls

Blue Hen to Buttermilk Falls is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Brecksville, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Took my kids on this hike 10,9, and 5). We had a great time!

This is our favorite little waterfall hike! Short hike to Blue Hen Falls (perfect for our 5 and 2.5 year old), and so much to explore and do!

This is a quick, easy hike and it is nice to be able to get up close to the waterfall. I arrived a little after 1100 on a weekday and was able to have the view to myself for the most part.

short hike, nice falls with little water flow although it's been raining all day?.

Fun! Took my two huskies and we ventured off path a bit! Easy trail!

This trail was very EASY , extremely minimal elevation gain. Wear shoes that you wouldn't mind getting wet or muddy. You can climb down to the falls if you have decent shoes and balance. If you keep going past the falls on the trail, you will follow along a nice trail along the creek. There are a few areas where you climb over a fallen tree, or hop over a few stones in a creek. There was hardly anyone there when we went on a Tuesday. We parked across the street and that didn't add much time to the hike. Very beautiful and almost anyone could see the falls, although it is not a handicapped accessible trail due to roots, rocks, and some downhill/uphill.

We absolutely love this one! No signs are posted about it so make sure you go past the final bench at Blue Hen falls to start this hike. You will have to cross the water (simple bc there are rocks to walk across) a couple of times to get to Buttermilk Falls.

Only put 3 stars because I didn't think the actual hike part was interesting until you get to the end where you can climb down and see the creek and waterfall from the bottom. Easy though!

Worth the walk. May get wet from waterfalls so go on a warm day.

Amazing short hike with views

One of the better hikes in CVNP. We've done this trail a number of times. In the winter, near the falls area, the rock walls can turn into ice walls.

It's a nice little hike, which is connected to a additional trails.

Note: It does required crossing over the creek several times and as of May 2017 there were a few larger logs that required navigating over. Some of the banks of the creek can be quite steep and the depending on rain the creek could be higher / lower. Just wanted to caution anyone before they headed out on this hike. I'd recommend water resistant boots and trekking poles.

The fun really starts at the "End of Trail" sign as you make your way through the woods to Buttermilk Falls. Overall a really fun hike that my family went on as I carried our 14 month on my back in our hiking pack.

Follow the trail just past where it says it ends. Took the kids, and walked along the creek bed, and climbed up to and behind the waterfall. We all really enjoyed it.

I have hiked to blue hen falls many times doing day hike along the buckeye trail. My person favorite time to go was a really cold day this winter and Blue Hen and the other waterfall were all frozen. The stream was frozen too and made for some great pictures. Would recommend going during a weekday. Weekend nights the lots are packed for it.

Great, easy hike. Lovely falls -- especially in winter.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Like many others, I had only been to the first fall since the sign said "End of Trail". I decided to go past the sign this time and it was great! I went around 9:30 on a Saturday morning in early October and there weren't a whole lot of people hiking the trail (the Buckeyes were playing later that day, maybe that was part of it...). The hike along the creek is a lot of fun! When you get to the second fall it's very peaceful and relaxing. I do recommend this trail.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

hiked down to the falls and back, took the wrong trail up the hill after the turn around, but added to the fun. could've sworn we heard a growl!? had our small dog, so possibly coyote. will do again, next time come across the longer trail from the north