Blue Hen to Buttermilk Falls

Blue Hen to Buttermilk Falls is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Brecksville, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Note: It does required crossing over the creek several times and as of May 2017 there were a few larger logs that required navigating over. Some of the banks of the creek can be quite steep and the depending on rain the creek could be higher / lower. Just wanted to caution anyone before they headed out on this hike. I'd recommend water resistant boots and trekking poles.

The fun really starts at the "End of Trail" sign as you make your way through the woods to Buttermilk Falls. Overall a really fun hike that my family went on as I carried our 14 month on my back in our hiking pack.

Follow the trail just past where it says it ends. Took the kids, and walked along the creek bed, and climbed up to and behind the waterfall. We all really enjoyed it.

I have hiked to blue hen falls many times doing day hike along the buckeye trail. My person favorite time to go was a really cold day this winter and Blue Hen and the other waterfall were all frozen. The stream was frozen too and made for some great pictures. Would recommend going during a weekday. Weekend nights the lots are packed for it.

Great, easy hike. Lovely falls -- especially in winter.

Like many others, I had only been to the first fall since the sign said "End of Trail". I decided to go past the sign this time and it was great! I went around 9:30 on a Saturday morning in early October and there weren't a whole lot of people hiking the trail (the Buckeyes were playing later that day, maybe that was part of it...). The hike along the creek is a lot of fun! When you get to the second fall it's very peaceful and relaxing. I do recommend this trail.

hiked down to the falls and back, took the wrong trail up the hill after the turn around, but added to the fun. could've sworn we heard a growl!? had our small dog, so possibly coyote. will do again, next time come across the longer trail from the north