Learn more

Archers Fork Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near New Matamoras, Ohio that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 12.9 mi Elevation gain 1,935 ft Route type Loop

Bugs

Muddy

Description
Waypoints (0)

Archers Fork is an absolutely beautiful hike. This is a great overnight hiking/camping experience. It is very well marked with yellow diamond blazes. The Natural Bridge is a pretty awesome sight and the Cave is pretty amazing. The whole trail has huge rock outcroppings. Absolutely beautiful country!

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (178)
Photos (178)
Recordings (114)
Completed (235)
Mike Sherry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Great weekend backpack loop. We hiked in a mile or two Friday evening. Hiked about 4 hours on Saturday. Then hiked two hours on Sunday. We were out before noon. There is a campsite roughly every mile. That made it very nice. Nearly all the trail is shaded. We went in late July, water was scarce. Overall great hike and place to reset. Phone did loose GPS reception about a mile away from the trailhead. I recommend to print off directions for the last couple of miles

Josh Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020

A tough walk with some technical parts & not very crowded. Out of the way hike, trail, somewhat difficult to find. Not very scenic, a GREAT workout of a hike

Bradley Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for running. May come back to trail run this. This was the perfect distance too. Almost entirely under canopy. The cave and natural bridge were cool.

View Bradley's Recording
Kevin Colbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Great!

Great trail lots to see and very isolated. getting there is a bit of a commute but totally worth it. Note however elevation is not as stated on site. It is approximately 3,300 feet actually. Overall very fun

Kevin Colbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Great!

Rebekah Bass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Wonderful trail! Appreciated the challenge of hiking up and down. Trail was in the shade 99% of the time. The streams were dry except for a few puddles leftover- I'd recommend packing water in or leaving it at a road crossing for yourself.

Ben Lloyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

Nice loop trail! It was well-marked and easy to follow. The even-footing and comfortable grades would make this an excellent loop for trail running. We were almost always under the shade of the trees, which was very welcome during a toasty hot July weekend. Many streams were dry, but we were able to get water from Archer Fork. A scenic highlight was the collection of big rocky outcroppings all along the loop. We saw a group of climbers on one of the biggest sets, and there is a cave and a natural stone arch that are cool. Oh, and we found a patch of chanterelle mushrooms!

samuel kinker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020

Kicked out butts.

View samuel's Recording
Edwin Ocasio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingOver grown

This is very hard and longer than listed. A lot of overgrown trails made this trail feel like I was in the jungle. Campsites are pretty good, plentiful and small. Fantastic rock outcropping. I would recommend this trail. TAKE PLENTY OF WATER!!

View Edwin's Recording
Aaron Pospisil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
Hiking

The forest service maps are woefully wrong—9.5 miles is such an undershot. Our fit bits clocked this in closer to 16 miles. It was a tough trail with the ups and downs. I’ve hiked harder trails, but admittedly never for less reward. Well maintained trail. Good birding (heard quail and owls overnight). Nothing inherently bad about the trail, but it felt like backpacking just For backpacking’s sake, rather than having something super special gained by backpacking the loop.

Joey Crookshanks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, perfect for a two day backpacking trip. Challenging up and downs for Ohio ! Lots of nice already established camp sites.

View Joey's Recording
Corey Beasley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
BackpackingBugsRocky
View Corey's Recording
amanda f
Hiking

Well maintained trail with lots of ups and downs. Easy to follow and definitely lots of shade. I made this my first backpacking trip but ended up finishing it because by the time I got to the campsites I wasn't tired enough to stop. It wasn't easy but it wasn't super difficult either. The parking lot was pretty full and I'd like to do this one again in the fall to see the leaves change and be around less people. Other than that it was worth the drive!

Carrie Forester
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
HikingMuddy

Beautiful trail. Lots of shade.

View Carrie's Recording
Michael Trojan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownBugsMuddyRocky

First time at Archers Fork. Did an overnighter on Thursday/Friday June 4th/5th of 2020. Some thoughts: Getting there. Its super remote and super secluded. Drove down from NE Ohio, and once you get off the major highways the fun starts. Super windy roads that twist and turn throughout the rolling countryside. Archers is only about 30 some miles off I-77 but takes about an hour to drive to (once off the exit) due to the twisting curves and blind corners and hills. Make sure you have all your supplies with because there is nothing out there by Archers. The SiruisXM on the car went out a few times! The parking lot is not really a parking lot. Its more of an uneven gravel road. The “road” dead ends next to a cemetery. You just pull off to the side as much as possible to make room for people to get in and out. When we were there, only one other car was there. I couldn’t imagine what parking at Archers would be like with more than 8-10 cars. The trail. Archers Fork loop is not a trail for beginner backpackers. I’ve done loops at Mohican and Allegheny and Archers is much tougher than those. Two days after my hike, and I’m still a bit achey. We took the trail counter clockwise as it appears you do more of the climbs on day 1. Just the elevation changes will test your physical prowess. Archers goes up, Archers goes down. Repeat over and over and over. Tons of vegetation encroaching the trail. If you hike this during peak vegetation, wear pants/tights or at least high socks. Lots of poison ivy along the trail so BE CAREFUL. The woods are dark and can be eerie. I think that makes it super cool and vibey. The trail is muddy at places, and very rocky. There are a few down trees that you’ll need to go under/around. The trail is very well traveled and very well marked. No real sweeping vista views. Gas lines peak through the forest floor, and you’ll encounter gas equipment every so often. Lots of cool rock formations to climb on. Lots of bugs and spiders but it didn’t bother me. If you love backpacking, you deal with the bugs. I noticed some ticks, but not a lot. I hear that ticks can be a problem in July and August. The stream crossings are mostly easy. You might have to take off shoes for the one big one (or just power through it). Overall thoughts. This is one of the better trails I have hiked. Its challenging, its remote, and its long enough to split into an overnighter. Bring a paper map and do not rely on cell service to be available. I was told Verizon has decent service out there. I have AT&T and I was only ever able to get service on the top of ridges. If its really humid, you might want to drive to the intersection of TWP 14 and TWP 427 (at the south end of the loop where the trail forms the shape of a shield), find where the trail crossed the road, and drop some water around there. I went through almost 3 liters of water before arriving at the halfway campsites. There are great campsites near that location so carrying water shouldn’t be an issue. I filtered water using a Sawyer squeeze, but the water still tasted funky. A sign at the trail head said filtering water is ok, but next time I hike this, I’ll probably do a water drop. For the hardcore backpackers out there, Archers is probably a walk in the park, but for the occasional weekend backpack warriors Archers Fork is a total adventure. Being out there you have a sense of just how far out in the boonies you are. If you are in the mood for a remote secluded backpacking loop that may test your physical ability, Archers Fork may be the trail for you. If you struggle at places like Mohican, then you may just want to skip this one or at least work up to it.

J Huntsberger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020

Great trail, great views and plenty of wildlife but way too many people !!! Parking lot is small, so when a lot of people hike here ,it can be tough finding a spot. Love the trail, a little wet, Love the area and I really enjoy camping wherever you want , so you don't need to camp on top of others. Better parking would give this trail 5 stars

Brayden Crider
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownFloodedMuddyOver grownRockyWashed out
View Brayden's Recording
Eric Hubball
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, VERY quiet the day I was out there, I only saw 2 people the whole time and they were on the road portion getting ready to bring gear into camp. I decided to hike the loop counter clockwise so that I could enjoy the cave and the natural bridge on fresh legs. I took a leisurely but motivated pace and finished in a little under 5½ hours. Minimal mud, trail clearly visible and easy to follow throughout. There were just a couple trees down, mosquitoes where there's mud, a lot of green overlapping the trail and one stream crossing around mile 4½ that I had to get wet to pass through (water was just above ankle height).

Erasmo Quijada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingMuddy

Super nice trail! Well marked with yellow diamonds and signs. One big water crossing and plenty of campsites.

View Erasmo's Recording
John Utsinger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
Hiking

Real nice hike. I highly recommend this loop. Review by “the couple and their little dog”

Samantha Gentle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
HikingMuddy

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this trail - moderately difficult hike. Resembled much of a day hike on the Appalachian - tons of running water along the way, a fun change in scenery and good amount of elevation change. Pretty muddy - but nothing unbearable. It’s definitely more than 12.9 my watch clocked me completing 16 - I wandered off the trail a few times to check out some little gems on the way but not three miles worth. Im a pretty experienced hiker and completed this hike in 4.75 hours - without a lunch. An experienced hiker I’d say could knock this out in 3.5 - 5.5 depending on how fast you want to take it and how many pit stops you want to take, moderate hiker I would default on 5-7 hours, less experienced I would break this into two days. I honestly would’ve enjoyed cutting into two days myself - there are some really great campsites along the way! I’d definitely take a filter for water - I ran out at about 13 miles with a 1.5 liter camelback. Would definitely come back to do it again!