Alum Creek State Park Mountain Bike Trail - Phase 1

Alum Creek State Park Mountain Bike Trail - Phase 1 is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Galena, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Located just 30 minutes north of Columbus, Ohio, Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail is great cross-country singletrack.

Very nice hike. Super scenic and well cared for. I’m sure the mountain bikers have a blast given the fun ramps that are placed throughout the trail. We only had four bikers pass us during the hike- so it was pretty quiet. Only negative is having to walk along the highway a bit. That was a little nerve wracking because cars are zooming past. The other thing to watch for is the narrow muddy paths. I wouldn’t recommend hiking the path if it’s rained recently. You’ll want it to dry out a bit. Another thing to note: this trail is 6 miles. Not the 5 it claims to be. But I definitely recommend it!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I didn't do this exactly but I found alum creek flat repetitive and kind of boring. I went just over 7 miles over the dam in the woods. Highbanks and Blendon Woods are better

Friday, June 16, 2017

Good cover and scenic views. It would benefit from better trail markings/markers and some trail maintenance

Monday, February 06, 2017

Actually 6 miles. Pros: limited elevation changes, lots of scenic areas, minimal traffic, sufficient markers every 1/2 mile.
Cons: highway noise, very muddy, brief walk right next to busy road

Saturday, November 12, 2016

NOT SAFE TO HIKE! I went to hike this trail in the middle of October this year. It was a Sunday afternoon and there were SOOO many bikers - the trail was filled with people riding WAY too fast!! Maybe this is ok for biking, but my husband and i turned around less than a minute into this trail! I read the reviews and some say it's good for hiking but you wouldnt be able to carry on a conversation because you have to listen for bikers so as to not get ran over!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Trail was challenging but very nice on this fall day! Marked well for the most part. Got confusing at times when red emergency signs came up. Follow orange signs & you are good... Recommended to intermediate to advanced trail runners, not for beginners.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Nice trail.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Great trails, only saw 1 biker the whole time. Nice views of water and good ups and downs. Sound of traffic is always in the background though.

paddle sports
Sunday, June 07, 2015

Excellent trails

Monday, October 27, 2014

Look up Alum Creek Mountain bike trail Phase 1, or Phase 2, or Beginner loop. The trail linked here has invalid information.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

This trail hike was amazing. We literally didn't run into any one. More of a terrain and definitely beautiful. Not a place to go with strollers or wheel chairs. More of a mountain biking trail but worth the fun to hike.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

While this is a Mountain Bike trail, it is also a great hiking trail. It has been well prepared for bikes for the ground is hard in most places and bridges for every gully. It has built to follow the water line of Alum Creek Lake and does so by often backtracking itself. The Nature is beautiful and on the whole six mile trip, I only had to move off trail to let 4 bikes pass. All in all a great hiking trail. Go counter clockwise to have the bikes coming at you or Clockwise to have them coming from behind. Hiking Time BTW is about 1.75 hours.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

I have only ridden Phase 1 a few times. I don't think its a good trail, mainly because some of the roots can stop you and your bike dead. I had to abandon one run because of a fall and large cut on my knee. Phase 2 seems easier to me. It is called a technical run, but I think of it as more of a fun free-style. Prob one of the better runs in Ohio I've been on.

Monday, September 02, 2013

Awesome trail, has everything you could want. Hills, wood bridges, lots of them, roots, log jumps. First time on this trail, I'll be here for 3 days, gonna ride it everyday I'm here.

Monday, July 22, 2013

It's a challenging and fun trail. Lots of roots that make for a bit of a technical ride. I have enjoyed my self every time I have rode it.

Monday, June 24, 2013

I didn't quite hike this trail; I actually left the trail because it was very boring in my opinion. I spent my hike walking along the shores of the lake. I really liked doing so; the lake was pretty and fairly clean and the shoreline wasn't dirty either.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Same as what Ron said, there are 2 trails. Phase 1 and Phase 2. I hit phase 2 the most " about 2 times a week" phase 1 is kinda boring after riding phase 2 hard. Phase 1 is still nice to hit when my girlfriend wants to come and ride with us. Challenging for her , but nothing to really get her into trouble... Like some of the bridges in phase 2

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Have been riding this trail for many years....the trail started out as a complicated maze with no defined routes and multi directional trails and elevation changes hard to conquer...has evolved over the years into a 1 way single track trail with moderate elevation changes and several man made obstacles in addition to the rocks, roots, turns, hills, valleys, trees, holes, streams and everything else a ride in the woods has to offer. You can also maintain a fast pace without wearing yourself out. I am pretty sure Central Ohio Mt. Bike Organization had a lot to do with all the improvements over the years. Riding is limited to the dry months of the year to protect the trail.....great time.....can't wait until the trail drys out....you probably won't have time to watch the wildlife, but it will be watching you.....

Sunday, February 13, 2011

There are actually 2 trails.
Phase 1 is a 6 mile intermediate trail. Ride across a water filled creek, hammer over one of the bumpiest root covered courses in Ohio. This 6 mile trail will provide you a fun ride while staying technical enough to keep your bike's suspension in motion the whole time.
Phase 2 is a 6 mile advanced trail. Twenty-eight bridges, many are narrow and have challenging approaches so good balance is needed to stay upright. Log-overs are a highlight feature for this technical course. Many interesting stunts to try

Sunday, July 09, 2017