White Butte North Dakota's Highpoint Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

White Butte North Dakota's Highpoint Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bowman, North Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

For those state peak baggers out there... here's a short fun one! An extremely easy highpoint to nab, although getting there can be somewhat of a challenge. Don't forget to leave a donation in the mailbox! (see below)

Fun short hike with a beautiful vista, particularly at sunrise.

Follow the AllTrails directions and it will take you right to the donation mailbox. Follow the barbed wire fence/road to the base of the trail unless you want to add a short walk to the trail.

The directions google gives leads to the wrong location.

A local came up on his quad and had me follow him to the trailhead. He stated he has been trying to get google to change the location but hasn’t had any luck so far. Great guy!

If you go to the spot where google takes you, with that place on your left, drive another 1.5 miles and turn left. The trailhead is down this road. You will come across the mailbox with the padlock on your right. The local told me I could drive down the fence line until the end and park there instead of parking by the mailbox.

Nice little hike to stretch my legs and knock out another high point!

You’re fine as long as you stay to right of the fence. It’s a fun interesting and easy high point (my 7th) that’s offers some fairly unique views. Well worth it.

I think recent changes in the area have led to some confusion. Looking from the mailbox towards the butte, you'll see a dirt driveway with a No Trespassing sign on the left, a wire fence, and a faint tractor road immediately to the right of the fence. You'll want to park at the mailbox and walk down the tractor road, staying to the right of the fence at all times. If you're on the same side as the old farmhouse, you're good. The owner of the driveway does not want you on his side of the fence (driving or walking) and seems to be stepping up enforcement, so I would not be surprised by further changes at this intersection.

Going from the mailbox, the whole up-and-down is probably about 3.5 miles. Depending on weather, the hike can be muddy in spots, including at least one steep location where it can be difficult to gain purchase. Don't wear any shoes or pants that you mind getting muddy.

Overall, it's a solid highpoint (my 35th) with good views of the surrounding prairie land.

The peak is still open to the public. The neighbor has been putting up no trespassing sign. The mailbox where you leave donations should still be across the gravel road from the trail head, but may not be marked. You do not need to call for permission, just respect the private property. Park on the gravel road and walk 1 mile down the two track, past the picturesque old farmstead, to the gate on your right. Walk through the gate and find the trail to the left. The owner is OK with this. I talked with him last week.

Ended up finding the route after following Googles terrible directions (it leads you to a property with a no trespassing sign). I didn't verify AllTrails directions...

Owner didn't pick up the phone when I called but I left money and a note in a mailbox with a padlock on it. This mailbox is across the street from a tractor road that is currently fenced off with barbed wire, but if you follow the fence (it will be on your right) you will see a faint set of tractor tracks. This adds maybe another mile to the trip.

Eventually, I walked by a copse of trees and an abandoned farm house to a gate where I was greeted by a herd of cows. After going through the gate, I continued to follow a well worn pathway to the summit.

Great views (especially to the southeast). Ran into another highpointer on the trail - what are the odds?

The access road where the no trespassing sign is posted has very fresh fence posts and barbed wire across it. You are unable to access the approach road and it is very clear the owners of the property no longer wish to allow hikers up the trail. A real shame.

Once we figured out how to get there it was great. The google directions are correct. The only sign is the one on Hwy 85 to turn south. From there go 4.8 miles and turn right (west). This road ends at an intersection. There is an unmarked, padlocked mailbox with a slot in the front. I hope this is the donation mailbox I've read about. At this intersection, turn left onto the sketchy road. There is a no trespassing sign next to the road. After much hesitation we determined that this meant, please stay on the trail and off the rest of my property. We took the road until it was no longer driveable, it was too washed out to continue. We walked to the end of the road where there was a fence with a gate secured shut with only a rope. From there we followed the foot trail to the summit.
The trail was mostly easy to follow. There are a few small cairns along the way. It is not difficult, but quite steep in several spots. Wear hiking shoes. It was dry when we were there and the ground was loose and crumbly in places. I fell/slipped on a steep downhill. I wouldn't attempt this trail if it was wet. And no, we did not see any rattlesnakes.

Land owner has posted no trespassing signs and removed previously mentioned contributions box. Seems like access is no longer open to the public. Bummer ☹️

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

This was my 14th high point that I scored. The hike was very easy to start off with. when you get to the actual climb you need to kinda look for the trail, there are a few of them that makes you think you are and then aren't. I came up one trail and came down another. but left the same way i came to the base of the butte. The view from the top was amazing, and seeing the different color of sediments was pretty awesome. Wildflowers were just coming out, so I got to see some awesome wildflowers that usually aren't seen. I almost lost my shoes twice in the white soil (i forget the actual name besides the fact that there is calcium in there) If it looks wet, don't step on it, you will sink. Literally slick as snot. I did my hike early in the morning to avoid snakes (because i had read many accounts of people seeing rattlesnakes while doing this summit). Also there is a mail box, the land own does want a some money as a contribution of opening up his land for hikers to enjoy. So do show your thanks and appreciation for what he didn't have to do for us to enjoy. Everything I read is $5 dollars is what was written as a donation.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Good easy hike! Nice views and it was fun to see the high pointers book at the top!! Our first of the 50!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Easy hike and it was beautiful! Saw a coyote!

Friday, August 15, 2014