Maah Daah Hey Trail

Maah Daah Hey Trail is a 142.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Amidon, North Dakota that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 142.3 miles Elevation Gain: 15,141 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

99 mile single track through the badlands of North Dakota.

Unfortunately I had the worst hiking experience on this trail. I tried hiking it on memorial weekend this year with my husband. We started our hike in Medora and didn’t get very far. I really wanted to like it- the landscape was beautiful. The trail conditions however were terrible. The trail was overgrown and barely visible and with every step we got stuck in the clay-like mud. We had so much mud on our shoes that we had to stop every 10 ft (this is not exaggerated- as much as I wish it was) to shake the mud off. After about 5 miles in those conditions we decided to set up our tent to wait until the morning and see if the trail had dried . Due to the 6ft high grass the sun never got the chance to dry the trail. After hours of debating we decided to head back to medora. This was the first trail I ever quit. I’ve hiked in all kinds of conditions before, but nothing quite as terrible. I wish everyone who decides to hike it in the future good luck- make sure to hike in the mids of summer when the trail is dry. And take precautions for the insane amount of mosquitoes and ticks on the trail.

Just getting back into mountain biking, so I only did the first four miles, starting at the north trailhead. All-Trails really should give directions to whichever trailhead is nearer. I'm about 30 minutes from the north trailhead, but when I saw it initially I kept scrolling cause I wasn't about to drive over 2 hours after work to find a place to ride. A local forest service employee recommended it and gave me directions, or I'd have never tried this amazing trail

Late May I hiked seven miles (total) across the Little Missouri from cottonwood campground in TRNP. Marker posts are great to find as the trail is fairly overgrown in this area. Great views. As a birder I hiked slow and found Lazuli Bunting, Spotted Towhee and more. Hoping to come back (fr/Wis) and hike or backpack longer sections this fall.

Just finished 144 mile through hike. Water, Water, plan ahead. Use the cache. Livestock has all streams & ponds unusable. Most beautiful & picturesque trail I ever hiked. In T.R. park north trail was hard to find due to short posts & high weeds. All - trails really helped.

Excellent trail system! 142 miles though * Be sure to take bug spray! Enjoy the wildlife and scenery! Things to be watchful of are slide offs, sinkholes/ankle snappers, and the ever changing clay of the Badlands. The nonprofit, Save the Maah Daah Hey, maintains this trail and does a superb job! Be sure to look em up and donate! This is truly one of the most amazing hidden gems in ND!

This trail map isn’t exactly accurate. The trail is 144 miles long. I started hiking at sully creek state park and went south 8 miles. The trail was absolutely beautiful but the ticks.....oh the ticks. Bring spray. I turned around and headed back when finding over ten ticks crawling on me and 6 on my dog. Took her straight to the vets to solve the issue. Removed over 20 from me. 8 while driving back to Dickinson. Beware.....but honestly the hike was insanely awesome up until I noticed the blood sucking arachnids.

badass trail for biking

Maah Daah Hey trail head CCC, this was the 2 mile loop

Sun Nov 04 2018

Hiked for 4 days and never saw another person on the trail!

Sat Oct 06 2018

Did about 10 mile stretch between MM 60-70. Very well marked. Gorgeous scenery. Absolute serenity- I never saw another person. I was lucky to be there while it was dry. In wet weather, the mud would have made it a very different hike for me!

Mon Jul 10 2017

Someone should update the map, it starts down in Amidon, 144 miles long total for the whole.

Fri Nov 18 2016

Great trail that is marked very well with lots of scenery. Didn't hike much of it but what I did I really enjoyed. I'll be going back for more that's for sure.

Mon May 30 2016

great views, easy stroll, many places to camp along the way.

Wed Nov 25 2015

Mountain biked part of this trail in 2005, then hiked other sections in 2007 or so. When raining the clayey, gumbo soil can be difficult to ride in. During dry weather, (or when the ground is frozen), it is easy riding and walking. Very hot and dry in the summer, so be prepared. It is the best marked trail I have ever been on, with two green wooden posts visible at most locations on the trail.

Tue Jun 09 2015

I have not quite completed this trail in its entirety quite yet, but I will. I have sweated many hours hiking this trail, camping along this trail and experiencing blisters and being coated in thick mud. I love this trail. I hope to finish it soon, as I cannot find people many people to do a more than 1 day hike. But be careful when it rains, the ground becomes very slick and could be very hazardous to your well being.

Thu May 21 2015

I tried to hike this trail in the late Spring and was surprised at how poorly it was kept up. Several sections had been taken out by landslides or completely overgrown. On the whole, the countryside and rustic appeal of the canyons and rock formations was enough to offset the sometimes very rough hiking. Caution to those who attempt this trail when it rains: The mud on these rocks is like glue mixed with cement.

Wed Oct 02 2013

Really unique place to Mt. Bike. Probably the top of my list. Only did about 10 miles, but need to go back someday and do the whole thing.

recorded Maah Daah Hey Trail