Learn more

Maah Daah Hey Trail is a 142.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Amidon, North Dakota that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 142.3 mi Elevation gain 15,141 ft Route type Point to Point
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Horseback riding Mountain biking Bike touring Running River Views Wild flowers Wildlife Muddy Rocky
Description
Waypoints (0)

99 mile single track through the badlands of North Dakota.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (62)
Photos (57)
Recordings (48)
Completed (60)
jim Chamberlain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 8, 2020
View jim's Recording
eric koffler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
Backpacking

Started at ccc trailhead. Hiked 60 miles over 4 days and had to call it quits. Started with 4 member and was down to 2 of us by the end. The trail has some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine but you will work for those views. Water is almost impossible to come by. We carried about 8 liters per person per day and when the sun is out you need every drop. Every type of wildlife will be encountered on this trail. We came across many rattlesnakes. At least 50 over the course of 4 days. Wear proper shoes and bring all supplies separated by group members. We had specific people to carry specific items. I recommend bring life straws. We had to get water from horse and cattle feeders several times. The occasional beaver dams gave us the cleanest water outside of wells and spigots at campgrounds. We camped 4 nights in the most beautiful places. We got lost due to washouts and lack of trail markers which led to members leaving and a massive lack of morale for portions of 2 days. This is no easy hike and not for beginners. The trail is daunting and makes you earn every step. The switchbacks become sould shattering after a few days and having hurting feet, strained legs, bug bites and lack of proper nutrition and sleep. I am an experienced hiker and I must say this was the most challenging trail I've been on. If you like to challenge yourself physically and mentally this trail is for you. I was really sad to not make it to Medora from the ccc campground but my whole party was wiped out and dropping 1 member per day. And they all had their own adventure to find a way off the trail and hoping an oilfield worker or farmer would pick them up. The temperatures ranged from 100 degrees to 60s at night. We were lost on the trail and had decided to hike about 4 miles in the darkness on the Cliffside. I do not recommend traveling after dark as it is dangerous. some off drops on the Cliffsides were 100s of feet straight down to your death. Cell phone service was mostly non existens. On the third day we came across a water cache that somebody left under the name of "trail angel" it was 4 gallons of fresh water in a metal box that resembled an old milkbox. whoever did that thank you so very much. I could ramble on for days about the beautiful views we enjoyed or the pains of carrying a 70 pound pack for 60 miles but all seasoned hikers know these stories. I recommend the mdh trail to all seasoned adventurers. This is no walk in the park and if you decide to battle the grandfather road then you better have a plus supplies and expect a challenge. Good luck to all who are crazy enough to try walking this bad boy. It gave me a new perspective on life. Enjoy and be safe.

Melissa Kilde
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Melissa's Recording
Alex Shelton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2020
Backpacking
View Alex's Recording
Travis Hollands
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
View Travis's Recording
Keith Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingBugsFloodedMuddyNo shadeOver grownWashed out

The trail, where maintained by the trail conservancy is great. We started at CCC and headed for Medora, with 4 nights of camping planned. 2/4 finished the hike. Any and all of the trails maintained by the state park are the absolute worst trails that I’ve ever experienced. Two of every three trail markers are down and even in the middle of summer, the trails were flooded and muddy. Both Teddy Roosevelt North and Teddy Roosevelt South has this same problem. Don’t discount the rest of the trail because the state parks are terrible. The views were incredible. The lack of water also requires substantial planning so be ready.

Heather Rolin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingMuddyNo shadeRocky

North Entrance: To get to the trail do not go to the Park entrance, instead take the left right before big bridge (can’t miss it). You will be on a dirt road that leads to the trailhead. About 1.5 miles go past the campground and find a little parking lot. You’ll have to go through the wildlife gate to get to the trail. The trial is perfect for a day trip as it is 6.5 miles to the top of the first plateau where you can go through another wildlife gate. You’ll get quite the workout and there isn’t a lot of shade cover in the heat of the day, so recommend getting in early or late. Pack plenty of water. It connects to the south entrance, would be a great trail to camp to see even more. I went mid May and the weather was already hot. Great for Mountain Biking as well!

curtis Haynes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
MuddyNo shadeOff trailOver grownRocky

Best trip ever this trail throw it all at us and it was great. We road our horses 100 miles. Brought everything on the horses we would need for a week. We lost boots, ran out of water, road in a rain storm, torn saddle bags. But also road in the best weather, and got a bit of a sun burn. Highly recommend this trail.

Emilia Blumberg
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 7, 2019
HikingMuddyOver grown

Unfortunately I had the worst hiking experience on this trail. I tried hiking it on memorial weekend this year with my husband. We started our hike in Medora and didn’t get very far. I really wanted to like it- the landscape was beautiful. The trail conditions however were terrible. The trail was overgrown and barely visible and with every step we got stuck in the clay-like mud. We had so much mud on our shoes that we had to stop every 10 ft (this is not exaggerated- as much as I wish it was) to shake the mud off. After about 5 miles in those conditions we decided to set up our tent to wait until the morning and see if the trail had dried . Due to the 6ft high grass the sun never got the chance to dry the trail. After hours of debating we decided to head back to medora. This was the first trail I ever quit. I’ve hiked in all kinds of conditions before, but nothing quite as terrible. I wish everyone who decides to hike it in the future good luck- make sure to hike in the mids of summer when the trail is dry. And take precautions for the insane amount of mosquitoes and ticks on the trail.

Dan Chamblee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2019
Mountain biking

Just getting back into mountain biking, so I only did the first four miles, starting at the north trailhead. All-Trails really should give directions to whichever trailhead is nearer. I'm about 30 minutes from the north trailhead, but when I saw it initially I kept scrolling cause I wasn't about to drive over 2 hours after work to find a place to ride. A local forest service employee recommended it and gave me directions, or I'd have never tried this amazing trail

Patrick Heyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2019
Hiking

Late May I hiked seven miles (total) across the Little Missouri from cottonwood campground in TRNP. Marker posts are great to find as the trail is fairly overgrown in this area. Great views. As a birder I hiked slow and found Lazuli Bunting, Spotted Towhee and more. Hoping to come back (fr/Wis) and hike or backpack longer sections this fall.

Gary Wolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2019
Hiking

Just finished 144 mile through hike. Water, Water, plan ahead. Use the cache. Livestock has all streams & ponds unusable. Most beautiful & picturesque trail I ever hiked. In T.R. park north trail was hard to find due to short posts & high weeds. All - trails really helped.

Travis Bateman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2019
Hiking

Excellent trail system! 142 miles though * Be sure to take bug spray! Enjoy the wildlife and scenery! Things to be watchful of are slide offs, sinkholes/ankle snappers, and the ever changing clay of the Badlands. The nonprofit, Save the Maah Daah Hey, maintains this trail and does a superb job! Be sure to look em up and donate! This is truly one of the most amazing hidden gems in ND!

Joshua Hopper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2019
Hiking

This trail map isn’t exactly accurate. The trail is 144 miles long. I started hiking at sully creek state park and went south 8 miles. The trail was absolutely beautiful but the ticks.....oh the ticks. Bring spray. I turned around and headed back when finding over ten ticks crawling on me and 6 on my dog. Took her straight to the vets to solve the issue. Removed over 20 from me. 8 while driving back to Dickinson. Beware.....but honestly the hike was insanely awesome up until I noticed the blood sucking arachnids.

zeck Boyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 13, 2019

badass trail for biking

Paula Linn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2019

Maah Daah Hey trail head CCC, this was the 2 mile loop

View Paula's Recording
Nicolas Arcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2018

Hiked for 4 days and never saw another person on the trail!

Cy Tottleben
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2018
Hiking

Did about 10 mile stretch between MM 60-70. Very well marked. Gorgeous scenery. Absolute serenity- I never saw another person. I was lucky to be there while it was dry. In wet weather, the mud would have made it a very different hike for me!