Lone Tree Spring Trail

Lone Tree Spring Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Medora, North Dakota that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

It was a nice long peaceful hike! The small river crossing in the beginning was a little surprising! The water went up to my knees and the rocks were rough, I would have brought water shoes if I had known! Saw tons of prairie dogs! Ran into a few bison! On the way back there was a whole herd of them right on the trail path! It was very intimidating, I had to walk off the path and around a little! Scary and cool at the same time! Actually every time I came to a water crossing I was a tad bit scared, maybe because I was alone! Part of the hike was “Lone Tree Trail”, but I couldn’t figure out why “lone tree” I looked everywhere for a lonely tree lol! Follow the markings, they are where they are for a reason! Bison roam everywhere, making their own trails, so it can be easy to stray! I did enjoy the hike!

recorded Lone Tree Spring Trail

So much wildlife. Saw buffalo, bald eagle, pronghorn bucks, deer and horses. Little watery and muddy at certain points but could be from recent rains. Beautiful absolutely gorgeous.

Wed Aug 23 2017

Definitely an adventure with some areas through high grass and jumping small rivers but worth it to see every type of topography the park has to offer. Saw bison bones on the hike but limited animal life in August

Sat Oct 20 2018