Jones Creek Trail

Jones Creek Trail is a 8.8 mile out and back trail located near Fairfield, North Dakota that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park By Mail Box 7 Medora, ND 58645-0007 By Phone South Unit Information 701 623-4466 North Unit Information 701 842-2333 By Fax 701-623-4840 Street Address 315 2nd Ave Medora, ND 58645

I hiked this trail in August and luckily it was dry. Encountered a Bison rolling in the dust and wild horses. Great scenery but more of a trail for wild horses and Bison.

This trail is fairly easy, but I would keep the moderate rating because of the creek crossings. The bank of the first crossing of coming from the west, was completely washed out when I went out. I wouldn't hike this trail for 12 hours after any rain fall. Becomes very muddy and therefore slippery. But the wild flowers and rolling hills scenery were amazing.

I hiked this trail in July to loop back from the Lower Paddock Creek Trail, and despite tiring from the 11-mile hike on a 100-degree day, I enjoyed this section and thought it was a little more enjoyable than Lower Paddock Creek. It's a great way to experience the park on foot. I saw several bison grazing at a distance, and I enjoyed following the muddy creek.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Sunny and hot. Wild horses, bison.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Though I've been there more than once, the last time I was here I did this (morning start 68, noon end 90+) trail as part of the Upper Paddock/Jones Creek Loop . Had to deal with a lot of bison scat and give way to them on the trail, but the last made it worth while. Would recommend this trail to those who want the solitude of an empty trail in a seemingly vast grassland.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

44 F, Windy, Extremely Muddy. Average hike with decent views. Didn't see any wildlife on this trail, but plenty of Bison turds. In combination with the mud the turds made for a very disagreeable experience.

Sunday, July 23, 2017