Jones Creek Trail

Jones Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile out and back trail located near Fairfield, North Dakota that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 429 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Theodore Roosevelt National Park By Mail Box 7 Medora, ND 58645-0007 By Phone South Unit Information 701 623-4466 North Unit Information 701 842-2333 By Fax 701-623-4840 Street Address 315 2nd Ave Medora, ND 58645

Great trail ! Beautiful scenery and saw a ton of prairie dogs ! It had just rained so it was super muddy , but well worth it.

What a nice hike. Should be classified as “Easy”. Other than 3 crossing of Jones Creek, the trail is relatively level. Saw several antelope. Wild flowers were fantastic.

We started on the Lower Trailhead.. The trail is easy to hike, we had an encounter with a wild stallion who was coming down the hill when he saw a couple on horses. The 1 creek crossing is sketchy but we made it carefully. The creek was dry. O our return we found an easier way to cross ( if my pictures post look at the black circle area, this is where you want to cross. The only animals we saw were prairie dogs. My husband has been hoping to see snakes ( he loves them) but nothing.. others told us they saw them today, especially near the trailhead probably because of the rabbits in the sage.

Nice introduction to the park, conditions are very muddy!

Hiked on March 30th. Amazing trail in the valley and around the creeks. We lost the trail at the first creek crossing but found it again shortly. Linked with lower talkington then turned around after encountering 10-15 bison on trail

Sat Oct 06 2018

Fantastic hike that not many other people enjoy. My first creek crossing would have been harrowing but I followed an animal trail and dipped into the creek at this point. Since it was late in the season the creek was very shallow and dry in areas and I was able to walk the creek bed and come out easily. Glad I didn't do this in the mud!

Mon Aug 13 2018

I hiked this trail in August and luckily it was dry. Encountered a Bison rolling in the dust and wild horses. Great scenery but more of a trail for wild horses and Bison.

Sat Jul 14 2018

This trail is fairly easy, but I would keep the moderate rating because of the creek crossings. The bank of the first crossing of coming from the west, was completely washed out when I went out. I wouldn't hike this trail for 12 hours after any rain fall. Becomes very muddy and therefore slippery. But the wild flowers and rolling hills scenery were amazing.

Thu Jan 04 2018

I hiked this trail in July to loop back from the Lower Paddock Creek Trail, and despite tiring from the 11-mile hike on a 100-degree day, I enjoyed this section and thought it was a little more enjoyable than Lower Paddock Creek. It's a great way to experience the park on foot. I saw several bison grazing at a distance, and I enjoyed following the muddy creek.

Wed Jul 26 2017

Sunny and hot. Wild horses, bison.

Fri Jul 25 2014

Though I've been there more than once, the last time I was here I did this (morning start 68, noon end 90+) trail as part of the Upper Paddock/Jones Creek Loop . Had to deal with a lot of bison scat and give way to them on the trail, but the last made it worth while. Would recommend this trail to those who want the solitude of an empty trail in a seemingly vast grassland.

Thu Feb 20 2014

44 F, Windy, Extremely Muddy. Average hike with decent views. Didn't see any wildlife on this trail, but plenty of Bison turds. In combination with the mud the turds made for a very disagreeable experience.

recorded Jones Creek Trail