Learn more

Harmon Lake Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mandan, North Dakota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 416 feet Route Type: Loop

My son and I enjoyed this trail with all the ravines. It was perfect for our first long trail of the season.

Very good biking trail for amateurs and experienced riders.

Great trail with rolling plains and some areas of hills and trees.

Awesome trail. very deceiving. lol

Sun Jun 09 2019

It’s about 10mi. Perfect distance. It’s not flat at all. It has a moderate level of difficulty if you are not into this very often. Be a little careful. Most of the time you have a cliff near by. It won’t kill but you might get scratched if you make a mistake, or end up in the lake. It’s fun.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Incredible gem of ND! Longer than it looks with all the inlets of the lake hugged. Highly recommend!

Thu May 16 2019

Great evening for a great walk. I do agree with the previous post that there's lots of ticks.

Wed May 15 2019

I wasn't ready for the trail I had to turn back it was to hot. I tried to do at noon. I will return early morning and complete it. By the way get ready for the ticks. I never saw that much tick in my life. I removed from my dog 47 of them.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Fri Jul 13 2018

About a 9 mile hike. Went with my sister and it took about 3.5 hours to complete with a few water breaks. The view of the lake is beautiful and the trail itself has some good variety in terms of terrain, scenery, animals and plants.

Thu Jun 14 2018

Nice flowing single track trail winding along the lake and surrounding hills. Good mix of technical area in the trees with free flowing area on surrounding hills. They added and additional 4.2 miles of trail so it's now 13.2 miles around, well worth riding!

Wed May 30 2018

My first time ever off road mountain biking- I had a great time! The harder part is that I was out of shape, so it seems harder. I’ve already done it again 2 more times since then- improved my time!

Sat May 05 2018

Fantastic trail . Easy to follow. I did hiking I saw many biking there , I will go again for sure

Fri Jun 30 2017

The posted mileage is 8.85 miles. It was so beautiful! Definitely a challenge with all the switchbacks but not too strenuous. I love how the trail goes in and out of forest areas surrounded by trees and wide open spaces. It took us 5 hours at a leisurely pace to complete with a few breaks to take pictures and snacks.

Wed May 24 2017

Definitely a long trail for an out of shape beginner but beyond the length it was not difficult. Beautiful views of the lake though.

Sun Sep 18 2016

It was more miles then they posted. It is a deceiving hike because the lake had so many fingers and it is a long way around. It was however beautiful.

Thu Aug 25 2016

Great trail to hike... Nice to get away from biso and be around a lovely lake with awesome scenery.

Sat May 11 2013

I started off my ride at the Northwest Trail Head with a nice hilltop view of Harmon Lake. The first section of the trail on the West side of the lake was mostly beginner with rolling hills and a few cut-backs. The wind was coming out of the North of course and so I had the wind to my back for the first part of my trek. As I reached the South end of the lake it takes you into the bottoms and over the inlet where the lake receives most of it's run-off. There is a nice metal float bridge in place to cross over. From here the trail climbs with moderate technical features through the South and East side of the lake. There are many sharp corners throughout with only a few longer downhill stretches to meet your need for speed. On the final stretch there are a few switchbacks and cliffhangers as you make your way back to the face of the dam. Overall this was definitely a trail for beginner to moderate mountain bikers who want to test their endurance as well as get a good workout in. My dog Rocco made the trek as well with only a few short breaks for water and a swim on this dog friendly trail.

recorded Harmon Lake Trail