Buckhorn Trail

Buckhorn Trail is a 12.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Watford City, North Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Trail is an 11.4 mile loop located in the North Unit of the park. Trail is used predominantly for hiking.

Full disclosure my wife and I only hiked to the prairie dog town and back. Good prairie views and of the concretions, and of course the prairie dogs.

My husband and I did this trail in August, 2018 at the recommendation of park rangers, we wanted some experience with an overnight hike. It was a hot day and we had plenty of water and our filter, however thee was no water source to use to refill or filter, the juniper campground was close to the trail so we hiked there to refill then tried to find a spot to pitch our tent. The trail had some very poorly marked areas, we went off the main trail several times, making this 12 mile hike over 16. Had it not been for the excellent AllTrails app, not sure we would have found the trail. We did see beautiful peaks and a lone bison which we gave wide berth. Prairie dog town was cute, you are very close to them. The final few miles were impossible to find the trail so we hiked on or near the road.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

We had a great hike here over the Labor Day long weekend. The badlands rock formations are wonderful and we had the opportunity to see a lot of wildlife including Bison, Prairie Dogs and even a rattle snake. The first mile or so of this track (starting near the park entrance) is a bit narrower and steeper than we expected. I would suggest long pants because the undergrowth is quite prickly.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Great challenge with amazing views.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Defiantly a hard trail to run due to bison tracks making the trail really uneven but it's a great run if your looking for a challenge!

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

This trail was beyond my equipment and provisions. Physically, I could've walked the trail, however my judgement told me, I did't have the equipment required for such a trek. The outdoors requires a level of respect, and out hear anything can happen.

I enjoyed the photos, don't buy upgrades walk'em !

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Buckhorn trail at Theodore Roosevelt National Park north unit was a great one day hike. It had a great mixture of hills, flats, and scenery. My favorite part was seeing a massive herd of bison on the plateau.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

NOTE*** this trail is located in the North Unit of the park. It is an hour north of Medora. The closest city is Grassy butte or Watford City! This is a great trail for backpacking or an extended day hike. It stays on the north end of the park and there alot of up and down and you cross a creek. There is a spring located along the trail. If you start at the caprock coulee trail head you can see a prairie dog town just a half mile up.

Sunday, June 04, 2017