Woody Ridge Trail

hard 37 reviews

Woody Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that offers scenic views. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,913 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Late December hike. The hike is very steep and a lot of wet leaves due to thawing. About a mile up is where we saw our first snow. Its intense but the views up there are magic. High reward!

Steep. But a slow steady pace anyone can do it.

Like every other review mentions this is a steep hike but nothing too bad as long as you take it slow and steady. My brother forgot his hiking shoes and after some consideration, he bucked up and did it in his flip flops. With that being said It's still no joke, two days later and my legs are still sore, The trail itself offers beautiful wooded scenery and there are a couple of openings with nice views before reaching the top. 10/10 would hike again.

WOW! What a stunning and beautiful wilderness hike and holy strenuous and technical in places. I brought my 13yo old dog and she did the whole trail plus we added on a couple miles on the Black Mountain Crest Traill. Definitely bring lots of water for you and your pets (or kids).

This trail is quite strenuous, and will return to say hello in the form of lactic acid in your legs the next day. Bring more water than you think you need. We brought our three kids, and they ran out of water by the time we turned around at the top. So we gave them ours, and neglected to bring filters for the creeks. Views are stunning, and this trail connects with the trail system that leads to Celo knob. Nice, hard trail. A 7-year old did it the same time as a 70-something year old hiking near us, so you can too. Just take it easy. It’s worth it.

Didn’t have the best weather, but the trail itself was in good condition. I like a challenge, and this one was definitely it. Getting up the second half seemed to take forever! We didn’t have much of a view at the top because of the cloud cover. Going down was actually more difficult than going up. Very slippery and super steep! Maybe not as bad when it’s not raining.

I cannot stress how difficult this trail is. This app says it is 4.5 miles, my Garmin said it was 6. Very steep the entire time, it will destroy your legs. In all fairness, it is very well maintained and marked, easy to follow in most spots and has some dope views. Probably wouldn’t ever do it again but I’m glad I did it once.

Freaking fantastic!! First 1.25 is a piece of cake. The remaining, until you peak out at Black Mountain Crest trail is every bit as difficult as you can imagine. Zero switchbacks make for a brutal ascent, but the couple of views are beyond worth it. Hardest trail I have hiked, and hope to do it again. I used this trail as the starting point for a 19 mile day hike that took me over to the west side of BMC trail, then looped back up via North Loop to Winstar trail via Deep Gap, then a few more miles along BMC before descending back down Woody. Total hike took me 9 hours.

5 miles of absolute torture. To the other people who have reviewed and said they’d do it again....are you insane?!? Forget personal accomplishments and such, this is nothing less than painful. The first mile, that’s hard enough. But it only gets worse from there. There are almost no switchbacks, there are no flat spots and there are essentially no views. What’s the point exactly? The person who created this must be found and punished for what they’ve then done to people. Do yourself a favor and find another route up.

Don’t get cocky too early - the steep part comes later but the payoff is worth it. Pair this with many other descent options (the easiest car drop one is Deep Gap/Colbert’s Creek), or spend the night (again, Deep Gap is a great location to make a decision). Luscious ridge walk.

My brother said it best when we got to the top, “hell of a hike”. We hiked up this trail to stay a night on the Black Mtn crest trail and finished at Mt Mitchell the next day. With packs this trail will truly test you. It is constantly going up with several very steep inclines, roped anchors are setup in these sections. Views are quite spectacular at the top and it will definitely give you a feeling of accomplishment getting up this goat trail. Highly recommend it but be prepared to struggle and bring plenty of water and food. This trail is no joke

This is a true “mountain goat” type trail. It starts with a significant incline but has a few switchbacks that help you get started. After that comes an extreme uphill that is as steep as a hike can get without it being a full on climb. This second section(most of the hike) is not to be taken lightly, it will test you. Going down is easier than going up but not by much, so be prepared for some wobbly and sore legs. We also saw a black bear around a 1/2 mile from the trail head. This hike is the most challenging I’ve ever done but very rewarding in many ways. It took my girlfriend and I around 5 hours with limited stops along the way and around 45 minutes spent at the top. Enjoy the journey!

Incredible trail. Amazing views near the top. Very difficult going up, heavy elevation gain. Be prepared for a workout! Views near the top make it worth the trek.

The trail is very steep, but not incredibly difficult terrain. It was well marked. The forest near the top is very beautiful, and has great views. We saw zero other humans.

The first mile was tough. The second mile made the first look like a warm up. It was difficult but worth it for the views. Be prepared for the drop in temperatures and high winds towards the top. This is a fantastic hike.

I highly recommend this steep, tough trail as a gauge for one's fitness level and for the sense of accomplishment in achieving a personal goal. The spectacular views were more than an additional incentive. The round trip to the Black Crest Trail intersection took 3:38. For me, descending was far easier than ascending. The weather was perfect and there was no ice on the trail. I do recommend using trekking poles (at least for oldies like me) as they really add security on the steep descent. Very, very happy to check this epic trail off my bucket list, yahoo!

This is an amazing trail but it is definitely hard, mainly because of the snow at some points being up to my knees on the inclines...which are no joke! The scrambling and climbing over rocks are my favorite on hikes and I would definitely do this again in spring or fall! My dog (100lb German Shepard) can normally climb and scramble like a champ but there was one spot I had to coax him through but he seemed to have a blast too!