Wolf Rock Trail

Wolf Rock Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Traphill, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is accessed from the Stone Mountain Loop Trail and provides views of the Blue Ridge Mountain escarpment. The ridges dividing three watersheds - Garden Creek, Widow's Creek and Bullhead Creek - can also be seen from atop Wolf Rock. Signs of old field succession are evident along the trail as it leads through areas which are predominantly pine, then mixed pine-hardwood and finally mature hardwood.

12 minutes ago

Good starting trail a bit of an uphill walk to begin with then flattens out till you get to wolf rock with beautiful views

Very enjoyable hike.

I drove three hours to explore this state park and this was hands down my favorite trail. I got there around 11am and I was literally the only person at the top. The view was stunning and a great place to eat my lunch and relax. Coming down I did run into about 30 people making their way up so the earlier you can get there the better.

Nice trail. Not very long or hard. I believe there was one good steep hill to climb. Once I got to Wolf Rock the views were beautiful. You can walk out on the rock and hang out for a while. Made a loop out of the trail by hiking down Cedar Rock.

We discovered this part of Stone Mountain when we arrived at our usual parking lot only to find it completely full! There was some sort of event going on. But we had driven an hour from Winston-Salem and were not about to go back, so we kept driving until we found another parking lot (also nearly full), then went up the trail and chose what appeared to be the lesser trafficked path that split off about a quarter-mile from the trail head. Wolf Rock did not disappoint! Fewer people, amazing views. We did a full loop and made it to Cedar Rock as well, explored the old abandoned buildings in the valley, and of course checked out the old homestead on the way back. We've gone back multiple times and we always take the Wolf Rock Trail, then loop back via Cedar Rock. Highly recommended.

We took the Stone Mountian Loop Trail & Blackjack Ridge Trail to Wolf Rock. We came down Wolf Rock Trail to finish a 4.2 mile loop. Great Trail in the winter with several nice views.

This trail is the much easier version of the Stone Mountain Loop Trail which starts from the same parking lot (much steeper portion of the loop). I almost prefer this hike to the Stone Mountain Loop Trail because it was much quieter and provided a very similar view. If I could rate this trail a 6 I would!

This trail has a moderately steep consistent incline to the end of the hike. The 180 degree view from atop the exposed limestone is worth the trip up.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this hike - it was our second of the day (Indian Creek in Hanging Rock State Park 7.5 miles) and so I was glad it was not too long. The pay off at the top of the steady climb was an amazing huge ROCK mountain top - complete with views of other amazing rock outcrops and mountains. We made it a loop by following the Cedar Rock Trail down the mountain. I think this was probably easier on the knees than retracing our path back down Wolf Rock which had been pretty steep.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

beautiful view at the end. My 9yo and my husky both enjoyed it

Sunday, April 23, 2017

This hike is great for people who'd are worried about the strenuous trek to the top of stone mountain. You get an amazing view on the iconic rock cliff face and it is much more doable. You can double back on Widow's Creek Trail to make it a loop.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Best trail in the park. Definitely moderate as you reach the summit. It also has some weird switchbacks towards the summit. A very unique topography and view, like a moonscape. Great views!

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Beautiful Scenery! Not a difficult hike at all!

Monday, October 24, 2016

We hiked the Stone Mt Loop today beginning at the upper parking lot, starting counter clockwise. After reaching the summit and continuing down to the other side of the trail we decided to add the Wolf Rock trail just before reaching the lower parking lot, connect to the Cedar Rock and back to the Loop before heading back to our car. The Wolf Rock was a continuous but gradual incline, steeper closer to the top. The top of the hill leveled out for a pleasant, shady walk to the rock face. Afterwards, we jcontinued on down this trail about a half mile until we reached the trail marker that pointed left for the Cedar Rock or straight for the Black Jack trail. We turned left for a short distance to Cedar Rock, another large rock face that faces Stone Mt. We continued on that trail about a half mile until we turned left at the Black Jack trail which led back to the Loop trail. All of this added about 2.5 miles and 1.5 hours to our hike, but it was a beautiful day, and we had the time.
Never having been on any of these trails, we enjoyed them but found the 300+ stair steps at the end of the loop trail brutal.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

in the 90s i went

Monday, May 09, 2016

Much less traffic than the Stone Mountain Loop Trail, this trail is a steady climb to a huge exposed rock face with views to the west; I suspect would have great sunset views. Was windy yet refreshing after the short climb through the hardwood forest; from the top you can take the short connector to the Cedar Rock trail - seems to be a couple of options to get to the same spot. Recommend these two short side trails when visiting Stone Mountain for different views of the mountain to the northeast and valley westward.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

I much preferred this trail to Hanging Rock Trail. It has similar views, but many less people.