Learn more

Wiseman's View Recreation Area Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(95)
Linville Gorge Wilderness

Wiseman's View Recreation Area Trail is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marion, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.4 miles Elevation Gain: 45 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Note: An off road vehicle is recommended to drive to this trailhead. There are a lot of pot holes and wash outs before you get to the trail head.

Bathroom currently closed. Incredible view!

Drove up early and watched the sunrise. Awesome views! If in the area this is a must see.

Well, getting to the trail is the issue. Washboard roads and huge gully’s. If your vehicle is up for it, it’s definitely worth the time (and struts! ) to the view. Once there, quiet paved access.

beautiful panoramic views from the top! its a long bumpy drive up a dirt road & a short, easy (but uphill) walk from the parking lot. my awd rav4 did fine. a sedan would *probably* make it but be cautious! there are lots of muddy areas, pot holes, & dips in the road. there is paved handicap access from the parking lot

Awesome views of Linville Gorge, Table Rock, Hawksbill, and more. Whole family loved it! Recommended highly

closed

folks the trail is closed even though it isn't showing on the face page. Drove up yesterday only to be turned around. The closure signs are on the dirt rd , other than that there aren't any notifications. P.S. linville falls also closed.

Going stir crazy due to Coronavirus quarantine, so got outside and did this today. You really do need a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The drive up is bumpy, narrow, and full of potholes. An auto with a low undercarriage will not make it. The drive up and the short hike are well worth the payoff of the gorgeous views.

Paved, handicap assemble. Nice view!

After reading reviews on the horrible road conditions, I was discouraged and almost didn't attempt this trail in my little Honda but I am glad I did because the view is amazing!! As long as you drive slow (10-15mph) and pay attention to what is coming from the other direction you will make it.

The road in is unpaved, narrow and has some large holes, so be very be careful and take it slow. Follow signs to parking area. There is a paved path toward viewing point. The views from here are incredible.

I read all of the earlier reviews about the terrible road and guess what when we arrived today the road had been graded. you can drive a car on it now with no difficulty. Oh yeah the views were amazing

FANTASTIC VIEW Easy access once in the Parking lot However the road there is beyond belief for the Average Driver and Vehicle. Rutted out Terribly Recommend high clearance vehicle Take it slow

Sun Jul 07 2019

Quick and easy. Even handicap accessible. Probably the best view of the Gorge and helps you get a perspective of what is included within the Gorge. The drive up the Wisemans is fun too

Sun Jun 30 2019

It’s a great view, not much of a hike, more like an easy walk. The path is paved and if you have bad knees or don’t like going down a steep hill, take the path off to the right and you can go around. Would love to stay there and get a great picture of the sunset/sunrise. Make sure to have a car with clearance. Didn’t want to try going up the hill in my Kia, bring a truck.

Fri Jun 07 2019

This was one of the main things I wanted to see today. I drive a Honda Odyssey grocery getter. The beginning of the road was fine. I’m from MS so not stranger on maneuvering around bad gravel roads. The further I went the worse it got. Waze said I was about a mile from it. I was going up a pretty big hill that had so many huge holes and wash outs in it that I couldn’t make it up. My van started spinning tires. Then I started rolling down the hill and every bump I hit jolted my car in a different direction. I haven’t panicked in a long time, but that scared me to death. I had to back down the hill through the bumps and turn around in a campsite that also had a huge wash out at where a culvert would be. I swear half of my front end is still there. I’m so disappointed I didn’t get to see it. I was stoked bc of the rain. It made a fog come over Linville Falls when we were there and it was so cool. I was hoping I’d get a similar view there.

Wed May 29 2019

Beautiful view probably the best in the park without really breaking a sweat. I drive a Toyota Corolla which is by all means necessary not an off-road vehicle but with a little bit of skill, choosing your path you can easily go up the gravel road that leads to this breath taking view. We met and old couple up there and they called it the Grand Canyon of North Carolina! They were right! Must see!

Sun May 05 2019

Paved path, definitely not hiking but everyone should go see this view! Breath taking!

Mon Apr 29 2019

Easy paved trail to beautiful views of the gorge.

Wed Jan 30 2019

Not a hike whatsoever but it’s a great place to bring those who have a hard time getting around to view the gorge. The road in can be a little rough from time to time for cars but absolutely not impossible.

Fri Nov 23 2018

My husband found this place on TripAdvisor, and we decided to make the trek. The road is very bumpy but we made it fine in our mid sized front wheel drive SUV. Beautiful views! We arrived at about 9:30am and had the whole place to ourselves. It was great!

Sun Oct 21 2018

Never made it to Wisemans View Rd. If you don't have four wheel drive I wouldn't try it. Got about halfway and hit a uphill spot with loose sand and gravel. My vehicle decided it was not going to make it up that hill. Had to back into a camping spot to turn around. Saw quite a few suvs and a jeep that had also turned around.

Mon Sep 24 2018

This place is awesome! Best view!!! You can hike all along the gorge and catch overlooks every 1/4 mile or so. No cost to get in and lightly trafficked. Road to get there is a little rough so don’t bring a little compact car like we did the first time.

Fri Sep 07 2018

The road is pretty gnarly right now, go slow. Really low cars might not make it through the holes and rocks. Still lots of great places to stop and camp along the way and then a beautiful scenic payoff. Very easy hike that takes less than 5 minutes.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Beautiful views!

Mon Jul 23 2018

never made it, my 2004 toyota sienna sounds like it now needs new ball joints. road is bad and just past cabin trail it turns into hell. Yet a guy in a Toyota corolla somehow made it! We settled on doing cabin trail to LGT and cabin was hell coming back up so its proof hell does exit.

Fri Jul 06 2018

One of the most beautiful places I’ve seen in WNC ❤️ Absolutely stunning! BUT...the very bumpy gravel road it takes to get there is a little sketchy!! We drove our Xterra with no problems and we saw minivans, old cars, and Jeeps driving it too...it looks scarier than it is but just wanted to forewarn. The trailhead is marked very well from the gavel road so you can’t miss it! A definite must see—easy walk!

Tue Jun 26 2018

must add this stop if you're in the area. short easy paved walk to 270° views of the gorge

Mon Jun 04 2018

Had a nice picnic with my gf and new born son overlooking the unbelievable view. Amazing!

Fri Apr 20 2018

Most amazing view I’ve seen on the East Coast.

Thu Apr 12 2018

Amazing view. We took Kistlers memorial highway from the Linville Falls entrance and followed the signs. From the parking lot it’s a short walk to spectacular cliff views of Table Rock, Hawksbill and Sitting bear.