Whiteside Mountain National Recreation Trail

Whiteside Mountain National Recreation Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Highlands, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice loop trail with great view.

Great hike. We did this with our 8 and 13 year old. They both enjoyed it!

this is a cool trail. great views at the top along the rock face. some 700ft drop? people were repelling off of. very crowded though. camping isnt allowed. lots of steps. a hammock might be nice at the top though.. huge birds flying at the top

Great winter hike!

Great, short hike with beautiful views!

my hike was in total fog. but will go again.

One of my favorite short hikes in the area for its vista views. Westside is fairly steep but a short distance. If you prefer an easy hike, take the left trail and hike in and out.

Very easy to medium hike only about an hour and fifteen minutes to do the whole loop. There are a ton of stopping points with GREAT views!

beautiful views on a easy to moderate. Great exercise.

This loop trial is one of my favorites. My wife and I ended here by chance as we were headed to another hiking trail (White Water Falls) when we saw the sign for Whiteside Mountain. It's an easy hike suitable for children. Stunning views with a gradual incline makes getting to the top of the trail relatively easy. You can see the Eastern Continental Divide from the top of this trail. Peregrine Falcons nest here. We only saw one flying above us. Very nice hike will definitely do it again!

Nice little loop with great views! Takes about 2 hours to complete.

PS: Lots of traffic on that day, when I arrived around 10:30am the parking lot was already full.

Amazing.

Amazing.

An awesome little loop with some fun climbing/descending.

This trail is a loop if you want it to be Moderate, or an out-and-back if you want it be Easier. If you decide the latter, be sure to see all the overlooks at the top. There are several. To catch them all, just keep going before you turn around to head back.

Trail has been cleared of downed trees from Irma.

wonderful hike, kid friendly, beautiful views!

Very nice moderate trail. We took the steep route to the right and the return was relaxing ! Beautiful views.

Great trip. Views are amazing.

easy loop for amazing cliffside views

We really enjoyed the views from this trail and there are quite a number of them. We went to the right, rather than the left that many reviewers suggest, and found that the steep climb was fairly short and allowed for a nice gradual descent at the end of the trail. I'm sure it's a nice hike either way. We went mid-morning on a Friday in the summer and expected more people than there were-not crowded at all.