Learn more

White Oak River is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Maysville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and canoeing and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.8 mi Elevation gain 6 ft Route type Point to Point

Photos (6)
Recordings (13)
Completed (23)
Joseph Glass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020

Definitely not the easiest trail to follow at points and lots of snakes out there this time of year. I'd suggest waiting until the fall and bringing a map if you still insist on hiking it.

Mike Petra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 15, 2019
Hiking

Trail is still in development according to posted sign. I couldn't find an entrance to a trail. A good place if you want to trek through the woods or for a boat ramp, but definitely not a great walking trail. On the good side it is a very quiet place if you like to get off the beaten path and connect with nature

Sydney Ashman
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 15, 2018

Well marked up until the end. It took us to a dirt road after sun down where we had to walk another 4 1/2 miles to our car. Also, the markers lead us through several thorn bushes.. ouch. DON'T GO. Would try kayaking here though.

Chad Higgins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2017

This is not a hiking trail this is for kayaking or canoeing. After see it we wishes we had brought our kayaks. we didn't get do try this one today but we definitely wood. The trail here is the Weetock.

Kaipolani Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 22, 2016
Hiking

My family parked at the Hayward landing, we took what we thought was the weetock trail until we realized we were just wandering in the woods. It was fun the entire time and we easily came back the way we entered. When we got back to the landing we saw several men in hunting attire and pickup trucks with dog cages on the back, parked on the side by weetock trail side, we assumed they were running dogs or catching dogs and didn't want to be in their way so we left early. But would definitely go back again.

Juan Ospina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2016
Hiking

This was day two of our conditioning hiking weekend. We did 4miles on Camp Lejeune camped out in our back yard then did 5.5 miles on the Weetock trail, We parked at the Hayward Landing parking area and took thr trail heading west. the trail was mostly dry surprisingly after a good amout of rain the night prior. The trail is well marked had to take some detours due to creeks over following. We cant wait to do it again.

Beth Beth Hull
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 15, 2016
Hiking

the trails are a blast. watch out for the fallen trees.

Elena Tate
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2016
Paddle sports

I am new to this so I did not get as much out of it as I should.

Alan Bourne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2016
Paddle sports

Like Kristen said it is a lot more work in the wide areas, but still and easy trip.

Kristen H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2012
Paddle sports

I rented a kayak from the white oak outfitters/campground in Maysville, and headed downstream to the Haywood Landing - about 12 miles. It took a little over 3 hours, including one pit stop and some lazy floating. The river is lovely black water, and you're pretty isolated throughout your time on the water. At the first widening I saw a few guys out on fishing boats, but I never saw any other kayakers or canoers, which surprised me, especially on a gorgeous sunday morning. If you're not into kayking, the narrow parts are fast flowing enough to carry you. If you're more of an active paddler like myself, you get to pick up some speed and work on maneuvering around tight bends. The water is pretty still in the wider areas so anticipate much more work. I saw quite a few turtles, some jumping mullet, and an eagle, and I didn't hear the rumble of traffic for the vast majority of the river. I look forward to travelling the river again, in my own kayak, in the fall when the leaves turn. Also -- Michael, the guy who owns the Maysville campground, will pick you up downstream even if you have your own kayak.

Bonita Maria Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2011
First to Review

Easy and leisurely.

Ian Ian Wiest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
Ian Ian Wiest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
Ian Ian Wiest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 9, 2020
Ian Ian Wiest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Ian Ian Wiest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
Heather Assal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2020
Tracey Stones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2019
View Tracey's Recording
Sydney Ashman
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 13, 2018
View Sydney's Recording
Jennifer C.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 24, 2016
K Wehrung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2016
View K's Recording
Wesley Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 27, 2012
View Wesley's Recording