West Ridge Trail to Little Piney

West Ridge Trail to Little Piney is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Black Mountain, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep climb to the ridge, can see great views in the winter. Connects with west ridge trail and big piney trail.

Definitely underestimated the difficulty of this hike. Four and a half miles does not seem like much, but much of this is uphill and at a pretty significant incline. The last mile (or maybe even less) is downhill, but very, very steep. I had to turn around and climb down on all fours at least twice, and managed to fall once. Part of the trail was obscured and blocked off by a makeshift barricade--it looked like a natural pile of limbs at first and caused us (my wife and I) to make a wrong turn. Once we found where we'd erred we just went around the barricade. In retrospect, I suspect it to have been the work of pranksters, as it was near a part of the trail that is quite easily accessible from surrounding neighborhoods and we found nothing wrong with the trail behind it. As for the views, they are probably better in the winter. Rattlesnake Rock is nice, but you can find better and not have to work near as hard for it. The abandoned moonshine still site on the decline is kind of neat also. I don't recommend this hike unless you're simply looking for a challenge.

Steep and strenuous hike that was difficult to navigate even with miles of hiking experience! Fun but not that many views. More for the thrill of the hike.

Rattlesnake rock was such an incredible view!! Fun hike up, treacherous at times on the way down.

Great hike. Gearing up for a backpacking trip in October. This will get your trail legs going. The descents are tough. Where's the Advil? I wasn't familiar with the area. It's tucked away in rather residential section. You really have to look for the trail heads, and figure out parking. Take a trail map!

Pretty difficult hike, great views and steep dissents!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Great trail for hard hike. Very steep inclines and descents.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Friday, May 06, 2016

This is THE most beautiful hike I've done in North Carolina! The overlook called rattlesnake-rock shows a humungoes view of many ridlelines on mt's directly across a valley. in the valley you can see many buildings. I recommend hiking a little was past rattlesnake-rock and taking the connection to the west ridge trail. taking this connection makes it a 5.5 mile hike but its worth it. The west ridge trail has very good scenery through most of the hike. I hiked this in April and the amount that you can see is amazing for a summer hike!

Monday, April 11, 2016