Wesser Creek Trail

Wesser Creek Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bryson City, North Carolina that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome hike! It took me about 2 hours of steady uphill to get to the junction with the AT. Then turn left to get to the tower and hike another 30-40 mins. Round trip was about 4.5 hours a including 30 min break at the top. Beautiful views, but like others said there were some downed trees to climb over.

I almost didn't do this hike because another commenter said the distance of 6.6 was not accurate. I disagree. Don't let that comment discourage you.

Nice uphill climb but vegetation obscured the narrow single-track at times making footing iffy. Waterfalls on the way up we're nice and the view from the observation platform was stunning!

Very primitive trail. Be prepared to climb over and under downed trees, walk through streams, walk narrow (slippery at time) trails, and it's all uphill. Definitely a pretty difficult but awesome hike. Great views at the end.

Pretty challenging but rewarding run. Not for new runners or the light hearted. Be ready for really narrow, steep switchbacks and fallen trees over the trails. Cool vistas approaching the top and at the top. The trail is marked clearly with blue blazes. Parking area is just past the "state maintained road end" sign. Took me about 40 minutes to get up and the same to go down. I think I may have stopped just short of the fire tower where white blazes appeared.

absolutely beautiful trail! Very narrow trail and fairly steep switch backs so would not recommend for a young inexperienced hiker. the view at the top (fire tower) was stunning! highly recommend this trail for a day hike. took roughly 2 hours to summit at a slow to moderate pace. lastly the lesser creek trail is marked by blue blazes and end and pick up the white AT blazes. stay to the left to summit.

My husband and I hiked this trail yesterday and it is absolutely beautiful, both in the beginning when it follows the creek up the gorge, and at the end when it starts switch-backing up to the view. There is a minor amount of fire damage, but the trail is still quite passable. The grade is constant, but never extreme, although the trail does earn its difficult rating. I believe that the 5.8 mile round trip is just to where Wesser Creek Trail meets the new A.T... It took us about 1.5 hrs to get to this juncture, and we were moving quickly and steadily. Then it is another mile or maybe 1.5 miles to get to the fire tower. We did the whole hike in just over 3.5 hours, with a stop at the top, and moving pretty quickly otherwise. I would say prepare for more than 6 miles, but the view is sensational and well worth the effort!

The trail was beautiful and difficult. My wife and I were in no rush and it took us 4&1/2 hours to get to the end,then had to hike back which was a lot quicker, so leave early. We got rained out coming back which was supper refreshing. Bring plenty of water and pack a lunch when you get up top. Happy trails!!!

OMG! Beautiful! Soooo hard hiking all the way to the top but so many beautiful views of the water on the way up. Bring lots of water !

A great workout!!!!!

I went to hike this trail 2 days ago (March 21, 2017) and I hate to give it a bad review because the start of it is gorgeous. You are walking alongside a beautiful creek for a good half a mile. The problem is that the trail just cuts off when you've barely started on it due to a recent fire. We were following the blue blazes and everything was going perfectly until we hit some blockage that would not allow us to continue, especially since we could not find another blue blaze anywhere (the tree may have burned down). So normally I bet this trail is incredible, it's just at the moment we could not complete it because of the damage. Like someone previously posted, you have to drive down a long gravel road past a bunch of houses/properties. You'll think you are in the wrong place but if you keep driving you'll find it.

A few thoughts on this trail: when you're driving to the trail, you'll go through what seems like a neighborhood private drive but it will ultimately take you to a gravel lot. The grooves in the road are deep, so low riding cars may scrape at the bottom. The trail itself is rather challenging, with most of it being narrow, with not much space to wander off the trail without sliding down a hill. the observation deck at the top is incredible! it took my friend and I roughly 3.5 hours to complete out and back.

Took us 6 hours round trip but was well worth the 360 views at the top!

Saturday, December 03, 2016

This is a great trail! Definitely not easy but great if you love a challenge and the feeling of being away from everything. We didn't see anyone else which was nice. There were a few fallen trees that we had to climb over and through. The path is very narrow so wear good shoes or boots!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

beautiful views

Friday, April 04, 2014

Our hiking group immensely enjoyed this trail! The Firetower at the top off of the Appalachian trail has magnificent 360° views! Definitely one we will do again