Wesser Bald Fire Tower via Appalachian Trail

Wesser Bald Fire Tower via Appalachian Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnett Fields, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This one is a must do. The views from the tower are comparable to Brasstown Bald without the crowds. From the parking at Tellico Gap it ended up being a moderate 1.4 mile hike to the sweet spot.

This hike is very rewarding without being too difficult. We accessed the AT by turning onto Otter Creek Rd from Wayah Rd. The trailhead is about two miles down Otter Creek Rd with several parking spots. About a mile of Otter Creek will be gravel but it's well maintained and we had no trouble in a sedan. If accessing from the Wayah Rd side, take the section of the AT on the left hand side of the parking lot as there weren't any clear markings for the Wesser Tower. The hike itself is all uphill as you climb to the peak. It winds through the forest on the mountainside and is very well maintained. No water crossings and very suitable for all skill levels (and dogs!). As you approach the peak, the trail narrows significantly and the plants/grass on either side will brush against your legs so wear pants or high socks if that bothers you. Right before reaching the tower, there's a beautiful natural lookout to the left. Once at the tower, the views are as good as it gets. It's 360 degrees of unobstructed and beautiful mountain views. It's a relatively short hike to amazing views without the crowds. I would highly recommend it.

We enjoyed this hike! I will say that it wasn't 2.2 miles in and out but rather 2.9. The All Trails App said the elevation change would be about 750 but the App recorded it as 1167. Just an FYI

Great hike with the dogs and 15 year old. Great 360 view from water tower.

Been up this trail countless times. You can see forever from the fire tower on a clear day. Plenty of tree cover under the tower if it’s a little windy.

An easy hike. But once we arrived at the tower the clouds had rolled in and blocked the view. It was still a great hike and we will return.

Beautiful view at the top! A new experience for me. Being new, I wouldn't rate it easy. Some parts of it were rock and tree roots and there were several spots where it seemed narrow. All of which may be totally normal, but as a newby, I didn't expect it. We took breaks frequently on the way up. Water is a necessity on this one.
All in all, a great place. Will definitely be going back. (hike date 4/11/18)

My grandpa took me on a hike up here with him and the view was literally breathtaking. I was a bit scared going up the tower cause it seemed like it was gonna break when I walked up on it and also when I got up there there were these two teens making out so i just left.

Nice hike. Well marked and maintained trail. Would probably rate closer to moderate for non-hikers, easy for experienced hikers. Hiked with dog, and two kids (12, 8)

We weren't prepared for the snow/sleet, so we only made it halfway up. The fog boxed us in anyway, so we wouldn't have been able to see the amazing views. The portion we hiked was uphill the whole way, so be prepared for that. It's well maintained, so we will definitely try again next time we are in the area!

(hiked 10/29/17)

Awesome hike! Definitely on the harder side of easy because of the elevation change going up, but coming down is a breeze. View at the top is spectacular!! If you are afraid of heights, like myself, get the courage to go up the fire tower at the top. Absolutely worth it!

It's an uphill hike that can get cha winded if you're bookin it, but it was amazing. The views from the tower were incredible and the trail itself was just really lovely. Feels like a mile uphill though.

Excellent! Be sure you are in good shape to walk 45 minutes uphill to the top. It's longer than you think! Bring water. Wear hiking boots. I would rate this "moderate" for people over 50. I saw people without water going up the trail. You will need water. The driving approach is better from Otter Creek road vs. Tellico. Parts of Tellico are 'almost' dangerous for a large vehicle. Go slow! Enjoy it, it's awesome!

This trail is AMAZING and worth every second. The views from the fire station are completely jaw dropping. The trail is very well marked and moderately maintained making for a really nice balance. I would not recommend this trail for young children, or extremely inexperienced hikers. The trail feels like more than 2 miles but is so enjoyable and is a fun afternoon trip. I would 100% recommend and will definitely return!

easy hike for spectacular 360 views!

Great trail! Manageable with a 30 lb toddler on my back although my feet hurt now!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

This was a great adventure to remember

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful walk...nice to see rhododendrons putting out at their base after fire damage of last year.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Great hike one of my favorite!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Probably one of the best places on the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. Certainly the best since leaving Springer. The hike from Tellico is steep but very short. The whole trail is chard from the forest fires, but the tower is in perfect condition. The view is spectacular, and an incredible place for camping. Hidden jewel of North Carolina.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Easy hike on the AT. Mountains in every direction as far as the eye can see. My favorite mountaintop hike for sure.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

This trail is NOT easy even for hikers who are not out shape. I would rate this as moderate even though I hiked in about 4 inches of snow up hill to the tower. I hiked up the old road instead of taking the segment of the Appalachian trail. It was uphill all the way there. Worth the climb though, you get a 360 view of the mountains at the top of the tower. Even though it was snowing when I got there it was still breathtaking. Coming back down is a breeze.