Wesser Bald Fire Tower via Appalachian Trail

Wesser Bald Fire Tower via Appalachian Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnett Fields, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We weren't prepared for the snow/sleet, so we only made it halfway up. The fog boxed us in anyway, so we wouldn't have been able to see the amazing views. The portion we hiked was uphill the whole way, so be prepared for that. It's well maintained, so we will definitely try again next time we are in the area!

(hiked 10/29/17)

Awesome hike! Definitely on the harder side of easy because of the elevation change going up, but coming down is a breeze. View at the top is spectacular!! If you are afraid of heights, like myself, get the courage to go up the fire tower at the top. Absolutely worth it!

It's an uphill hike that can get cha winded if you're bookin it, but it was amazing. The views from the tower were incredible and the trail itself was just really lovely. Feels like a mile uphill though.

Excellent! Be sure you are in good shape to walk 45 minutes uphill to the top. It's longer than you think! Bring water. Wear hiking boots. I would rate this "moderate" for people over 50. I saw people without water going up the trail. You will need water. The driving approach is better from Otter Creek road vs. Tellico. Parts of Tellico are 'almost' dangerous for a large vehicle. Go slow! Enjoy it, it's awesome!

This trail is AMAZING and worth every second. The views from the fire station are completely jaw dropping. The trail is very well marked and moderately maintained making for a really nice balance. I would not recommend this trail for young children, or extremely inexperienced hikers. The trail feels like more than 2 miles but is so enjoyable and is a fun afternoon trip. I would 100% recommend and will definitely return!

easy hike for spectacular 360 views!

Great trail! Manageable with a 30 lb toddler on my back although my feet hurt now!

This was a great adventure to remember

Beautiful walk...nice to see rhododendrons putting out at their base after fire damage of last year.

Great hike one of my favorite!

Probably one of the best places on the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. Certainly the best since leaving Springer. The hike from Tellico is steep but very short. The whole trail is chard from the forest fires, but the tower is in perfect condition. The view is spectacular, and an incredible place for camping. Hidden jewel of North Carolina.

Easy hike on the AT. Mountains in every direction as far as the eye can see. My favorite mountaintop hike for sure.