Weetock Trail is a 18.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maysville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.7 miles Elevation Gain: 295 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Where do you park to get on the trail?

BEAUTIFUL BUT BEWARE OF TICKS. Checked this trail out for the first time today with my golden retriever. Absolutely gorgeous and really enjoyed our time and its convenient location. However, as soon as we got off the trail I checked my doggo for ticks and he was full of them. Have pulled about 50 off him so far. Loved this trail, but would advise others to leave their dogs at home this time of year.

The first half of the trail is lovely. Pretty easy to follow, few pathway obstructions, long cool foot bridges and lots of flowers along the trail. The further you go, the more solitude you find. No roadway noise and I saw one person my first trip out there, not another soul the second time. At the road which splits the trail about in half, the trail becomes much more difficult. Very narrow paths, lots of trees down, streams you have to jump over, difficult to follow markers. I got about a mile and a half In and just could not see the trail anymore due to trees down and such, and turned around. If you like a challenge, this second half may be for you. Definetly wear pants and waterproof gear on this side.

Great trek! Some of the small bridges are out. The prescribed burn opened up the trail significantly.

Go ride, run or hike the weetock! First 6 miles of trail from the trailhead to long point have been recently cleared and the usfs just burned from haywood to long point. Trail has strava segments too. Anybody who wants to help with trail work, let me know. 86O-8O5-7476

didn't do much of the trail, just came out to check it out. overall good trail but in some spots it's not marked very well. will be back to hike the whole thing.

This trail is NOT safe for dogs because of the overgrowth. The trail is not maintained very well at all. It was so overgrown that it was not enjoyable. I didn't want to continue after a short while. Turned back and just walked on the dirt road instead. That was actually very nice.

My fiancé and I are willing to help clear the over growth.

I’ve been working with the USFS for quite sometime to get the Weetock an officially recognized trail. It’s definitely a work in progress! The Weetock was originally marked and cleared by members of the Carteret county wildlife club nearly 20 years ago, in agreement with the USFS, but it was never officially recognized. Since that time, rules have changed, and red tape has increased. I’ve done a lot of historical research and have discovered numerous interesting things about this area of the Croatan. It’s a beautiful part of the forest with lots of hardwoods and up and down hills that are surprising to find in the Croatan. I’ve developed a new route for the Weetock that will maximize the trail experience and am working with the USFS to finally get a trail we can all be proud of. For more information feel free to text or call me! I’m Daniel by the way. 910 545 1481

Tue May 21 2019

Be advised that the trail is thin--overgrown--and you will brush up against trees, bushes, and leaves. Beware of ticks and poison ivy! May be wise to wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. Good shade cover.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Sun Apr 14 2019

Mon Mar 25 2019

Awesome Trail. Took our Boy Scouts out on it this weekend and they loved it! Plan on doing it a few more time. Highly recommended!!

Sat Mar 23 2019

Beautiful trail. The last portion of the original trail (on the western side of the field near sawdust hill) is not marked very well. It may be a concern for inexperienced hikers.

Fri Feb 08 2019

Mon Jul 16 2018

a bit grown up. not much traveled lately.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Not well marked. Can't figure out where to enter trail. Doesn't appear to be good for dogs if the part that looked like it might be the trail was... Not open enough to safely walk dogs

Tue May 29 2018

Great hike. Simple, well marked, and well kept. Some small wildlife if you don't mind sharing the trail (saw a snake, turtle, and a couple lizards) Definitely pack some bug spray though, and maybe wear some pants because ticks are heavy.

Mon Apr 30 2018

I walk portions of this trail a couple times a week. It is beautiful, and the periodic streams that cross the trail are great for the dogs. I did encounter a very large black bear crossing the Forest Road on the ride into Haywood Landing about a week ago, luckily I was in my truck at the time. Black bears do not tend to be aggressive so I have continued to hike the trail but with bear spray :)

Wed Sep 06 2017

Nice trail. I have been on it several times and have lost the trail at the southern end each time - it just seems to vanish. The ticks are very heavy!

Fri Jun 02 2017

My husband and I went last month and the flies and ticks were horrendous. Bring your bug spray and check yourself after your hike. All in all we very much enjoyed this trail

Fri Apr 21 2017