Wayah Gap to Murphy Road is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Topton, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 954 feet Route Type: Point to Point

High clear bald with breathtaking views Easy to follow. Can camp near SR at Wayah Gap. Picnic tables there.

I drove the 4.4 miles on the well-maintained gravel road. I had already hiked 8 miles that day! It was not a totally clear day. But the clouds added to the beautiful pictures I got. There are still remnants of the fire from a couple years ago. It is an amazingly beautiful place.

Mon Apr 03 2017

view from Siler Bald is amazing!!! Did this hike with four kids age 3-10, they all loved it!

Fri Jul 01 2016

The hike was amazing well worth the trip 58 degree weather to start the day and 360 views at the top.

Wed Mar 23 2016

The hike up to the bald is worth it, but a little confusing for a novice. When you hit the beginning of the bald after a sign for "snowbird gap" on the AT, go up all the way to the top (not well marked, but obvious) for great 360 degree views! I did this one with the nearby Rufus Morgan to make a decent day of it. My dog did it without issue as well.

Mon May 04 2015

If you go out on Wayah Rd about 9 miles you will see a brown sign on your right that says Wayah Tower, immediately on your left is a gravel road that takes you to the parking area. From the parking area to the top of the Bald is 2 miles, mostly uphill but not too difficult. Coming back to the parking area is downhilll and only takes about an hour and a half. Great views on top of the bald and the hike up is very nice, marked by white blazes and not more than easy to moderate. Great 4 - 5 hour hike for almost anyone.

Thu Oct 16 2014

Wayah Gap has a parking area on the left (westbound) but no signage (June 2014). The FS road to Wayah Bald is on the right, look left 50 feet later and there is a gravel road to a small parking lot for 6-7 cars. Just above parking lot there are a few stone picnic tables - then the junction with the AT trail. We combine this with a northbound hike to Wayah Bald. Great summer hike all above 4200 feet.

Wed Oct 15 2014

Really great hike with lots of payoff at the end. The shelter is littered, but otherwise a nice way to spend a night. Plenty of water sources along the way, even in fall, and there is a killer campsite near the top of the bald.

Sat May 17 2014

Seems to be a bad year for ticks. Lovely hike, check for ticks when you are done!

Tue Jul 30 2013

This is my second time on the trail. My 61-year-old mother-in-law joined us for the hike and we went to Siler Bald and back to Wayah Gap (3.7 miles roundtrip), which took us about 3 hours. We had gotten a lot of rain recently and it looked like the trail fairies had been hard at work clearing the trail and placing some logs as steps in places that had been washed out. Great maintenance work on a great trail. We only came across two other hikers on the trail, otherwise we had it all to ourselves. It was great because more of the wild flowers were out, we also saw two little snakes on the trail but they did not bother us, we kind of just rolled a rock in their direction so they would go along their way. Once you get to the clearing to head up to Siler Bald, the grass was much higher and there were much more bugs than when I did the trail a month before. The hill was dotted with pretty colour, though. Still a great trail, but bring bug spray!

Sat Jun 11 2016