Waterrock Knob Trail

Waterrock Knob Trail is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waynesville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Steep trail, but worth the view. Beautiful flowers and butterflies along the way.

Took two older dogs on this trail. Had to fireman carry them back down. Great views otherwise.

This is a great hike and it’s a half mile to the top. It is steep and you ascend 480 ft in that half mile. The first half is paved and the second half is a dirt/rock stair trail. About half way up at the end of the paved trail is a viewing platform(if you don’t want to make the trek to the top).

So fabulous that we come back every year!

Good trail.

Short easy hike great for a sunset view.

Favorite easy summit in the area, especially at sunset.

Very steep but short hike up to some great views. Starts at a visitors center parking lot so a little more crowded than other trails but worth it. The Mountain to Sea Trail also joins up here so you can add some distance by following their white blazed trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Worth the view! Smells like Christmas going up

This hike is a nice short hike but it is straight up

My husband, dog, and I did this 1.5 times yesterday (we came back a second time after the second hike we attempted had no parking near it). It has ample parking and restrooms due to the visitor center/ranger station at trailhead. We really enjoyed this hike - but will warn you, it is a workout, as most of the hike is an uphill climb.

Nice little hike. Pretty steep to start, but worth it at the top. Beautiful views. My 8 & 11 year old completed this with us easily.

Did not seem very hard to us, a little steep but easily manageable. Perfect hike to a great view, total time there was 45 minutes.

Beautiful view...well worth the hike

Great morning hike. My 5 and 3 year olds could do it fine and loved it!

Great trail! Went to the top then to the plane crash. Trail to the plane crash was a little rough but totally worth it!

Definitely recommend this hike. Beautiful drive to the trailhead and not too difficult to Waterrock Knob. There is a unofficial trail from Waterrock Knob to Browning Knob called the Balsam Traverse. Very Beautiful ridgeline hike but dont attempt unless your an experienced hiker. Also easy to get lost so look for the blazes on the trees if you do this hike.

Loved it. Went 3 times.

Wonderful views! A great short, little hike. The uphill is definitely a little challenging, but once you get to the top, it's worth it! Towards the top it becomes a little rocky with some really big steps, so take your time and wear good hiking shoes. My little dog enjoyed the walk too, but he was more excited for the downhill part. We went on a rainy day and got to see fog and rain on the other mountain tops, it was mesmerizing!

Was a fun hike. Plane is easy to find. Follow the trail to the left of the big steps leading to waterrock knob. Follow the yellow dots on the trees to the top of the mountain top. You will know it when you reach it. It’s the highest point. Take a trail from the top to the left down about 100 yards. There lies the plane !!

Very steep trail, but so beautiful. Our dog loved it as well... would definitely hike this again.

So it’s extremely beautiful and yes the hike uphill is challenging but well worth it. I also ventured out a couple of miles looking for that plane that’s crashed but I had no luck finding it but I caught the best views along the way. I wouldn’t call the trail up to mount Lowry I think it’s called easy but it’s doable. Lol. I am now resting for the rest of the day after trying to find that plane idk if I’d even recommend going to look for it.

Great short hike! Very strenuous for the first of the season. Got the blood pumping!

Simply can not describe in words adequately. Must see in person to understand.

Beautiful! The way to the trail was gorgeous and the views at the top were great. Short but steep.

Great hike. Family friendly.

Wonderful, short and steep. Great views all seasons. Note, visitor center and bathrooms were closed

Awesome hike with great views. once you get to the top, there is a trail that veers left (follow the orange tags in the trees). It leads to a twin engine Cessna (plane crash) that happened in 1983. Its a good 20 minutes down that trail at a steady pace. If you follow the top of the ridge, you will come to big grey stones (3-4 feet high). One of the stones had a memorial plaque on it. Make a 90 degree turn and take the little trail directly next to the plaque. Follow the trail down the hill and to the left (less than 5 minutes). The plane is there.

This tops my list of hikes done so far - spectacular views, a nice parking area, visitor center, and connections to the Mountains to Sea Trail if you want to add on to your day. Even if you didn’t want to hike, the views from the parking lot are worth the drive. We heard about an offshoot trail near the top that leads to a spot overlooking a plane that went down a long time ago but I think we turned around too soon. Next time we’ll push on a little further.

Definitely worth the steep climb!