Waterfalls on Scotsman Creek

Waterfalls on Scotsman Creek is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cashiers, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

Short but strenuous to Waterfall on Scotsman Creek and Upper Waterfall on Scotsman Creek.

If the trail is marked and a parking area exists, we could not find them. We parked in a nearby camping site right by the hairpin curve that was empty. We then walked down the gravel road a few hundred yards and luckily found a rarely traveled foot path leading straight down to the falls. We found it based on the roar of the falls as we started the decent pretty much right above the falls. At the end it was pretty hairy to navigate the brush, but my family of 4 made it. I would not recommend the trail we used for kids younger than 8 or 10, and even then only if they are fit and adventurous. We all have plenty of scrapes. That said, the falls are really great and I’ll definitely go back (although my wife won’t). There may be an actual trail to find, but even the small goat path we used works. Be sure to watch where you exit at the falls and so you can find the path when you want to ascend back up. Tons of brush and we got off in the wrong direction and had to backtrack just a bit to get on the right path. Stunning scenery though.

Thursday, January 29, 2015