Uwharrie National Recreation Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(151)
Uwharrie National Forest

Uwharrie National Recreation Trail is a 18.9 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mount Gilead, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,805 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

Uwharrie National Trail is a moderate trail spanning the distance between Hwy 24/27 (Troy, NC) to Flint Hill Rd (Ophir, NC). It crosses several roads, the largest of which is Hwy 109.

Fun trail with interesting flora & fauna, several creek crossings, somewhat strenuous. Lots of campsites along trail

Not a super exciting trail, but pleasant enough. Only met one other party. Noticed two dispersed campsites off the first stretch. Only a little muddy in the lowest areas. Many small streams.

18 miles was a little much, but took a 3 mile out-and-back from Yates campground to the 109 trailhead. Great mix of elevation, foliage and stream crossings. Would venture out again for a longer jaunt; so quiet and peaceful here!

This trai is well marked and a good workout for me since I've been unable to hike for a while. It is muddy in some spots close to the beginning of the uwharrie trail. There isn't really any good views at this end of the uwharrie trail (hwy 24/27 trailhead) but I like hiking to the rock formations. I want to plan a 2 or 3 day hike so I can explore more of the trail. I would like to find someone to hike with for that trip. Overall I say it's a good trail.

Day 1: started at south trial head with pup Waylon and hiked north towards yate’s place.

Just hiked this with 20 Boy Scouts - we went North-South. Great weekend trek that accomodates both tents and hammocks alike. Hiked in 6 Friday night, 12 on Saturday and an easy 2 out Sunday morning (point to point - it takes about 25 minutes each way to ferry cars between the trailheads). Definitely achievable by most skill levels. Plenty of established campsites along the trail. Only note of caution, take advantage of your available water sources if it's been a dry season.

Hiked the Uwharrie NRT from NC-24/27 trailhead to Jumping-Off Rock trailhead and back on September 22-26 (Sunday evening to Thursday). Trail mostly deserted of mammals (saw only one squirrel, another camper, and two day hikers. With the recent dry weather stretch, water sources proved challenging. Other folks more experienced on the NRT or luckier may find more sources, but here's what I saw for reliable water during that time: from NC-22/27 north to NC-109, Wood Run Creek (a few spots) and Big Island Creek (solid at trail crossing); and past NC-109, Cattail Creek, Spencer Creek, and Barnes Creek near the Jumping-Off Rock Trailhead.

I went on a Thursday mostly deserted . The trail was well marked . I enjoyed it . Going back soon to walk the entire trail.

Have just walked 3.5 miles in and back from southern end. Nice challenging moderate trail for my wife and I on a hot late Aug. afternoon. Will go back hopefully for point to point on longer outing when a bit cooler.

Sun May 26 2019

I started this hike at the 24/24 trail head, then took the Woodrun trail to the camp at the top of the road. From there I used the Keyauwee Bike Trail to jump across to the Uwharrie Trail which took me back to the 24/27 trailhead. probably 4.5 miles total. Great moderate hike.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Very much enjoyed backpacking the trail and would do it again. I felt there were a couple stretches after Yates Place (went South to North) where there are not that many campsites. Easy to stay on trail thanks to all the blazes.

Great hike. Longer than it is listed tho. It is actually 22 miles exactly

Thu Feb 07 2019

Mon Jan 21 2019

Very muddy and with several short and a couple long creek/river crossings. Lovely gentle up and down forest.

Thu Jan 10 2019

I built a 13.5-mile loop that started on Dutchman Creek Trail and ended with the Uwharrie Trail. It was an excellent hike, and my dogs loved it. The hills were moderately challenging, and there were plenty of streams for water. I recommend water treatment tablets if you choose to drink from the streams. As far as views, the trees prevent anything spectacular, but the terrain itself is pretty.

Wed Dec 19 2018

I love this trail. But!—has anyone else noticed a vast difference in mileage? I have walked this 3 times using various Garmin devices, and all 3 devices have given me a total distance walked well above the 18.9 miles that is advertised. My Garmins have all been in the 20 mile range. I have stayed on the trail and even calculating some GPS ‘drift’ I can’t see how there is such a huge difference. Thoughts?! None the less, a GREAT HIKE!!!

Tue Dec 11 2018

I hiked a southern portion of the trail- from 24/27 trail head to Hwy 109. It ended up to be about 12.6 miles. At my stage of the game and being in pretty good shape, it kicked my rear end. The weather was cool 48 to 58 degrees and sunny. It was great hiking weather. It had rained the previous 4 days and the creeks were running. I had to hop scotch over many on the rocks. The ups and downs were moderate for the most part. But there were some that were pretty steep. I enjoyed my trip very much and will plan on going back.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Did a short hike on the southern portion of the trail but going back for an overnight backpacking trip. Trail was marked well. Nice elevation change, not too drastic. Lots of great areas for camping. Went on a Saturday morning and was on the trail for about four hours. Ran in to trail runners every 20-30 min. Not too crowded. Had a great time with my wife, 5-year old and dog.

Tue May 15 2018

Kind of a boring hike, lots of geckos and snakes. smelled very good!

Mon Aug 21 2017

Interesting National Forest in the Piedmont of NC. Some nice trails and a lake.

Tue Jul 18 2017

My wife and I set out with another couple to hike the trail over the weekend in early June. Unfortunately we had a bit of a late start and didn't get onto the trail until the late afternoon. We started at the southern trailhead and made it about 5 miles before setting up camp for the night. There are plenty well established campsites along the southern portion of the trail, to include spots at higher elevation all the way down to small spots in the valley located next to fast flowing creeks. Plenty of thick overhead coverage to keep you cool, and for the most part the trail was pretty dry. I've noticed there isn't a whole lot of information online about the trail so a few things to note: -Unlike a few trails in NC there are not pumps or shelters with potable water to access. -Yates Camp doesn't have any access to potable water despite being a large camp ground. -The southern portion of the trail is less demanding, and heavily populated with day trip groups such as Boy Scouts, Class trips, and families... it was incredibly noisy in the area even at sun down. Overall its a great trail with a few sections that are physically demanding and enjoyable. Hope to hike it again in the fall.

Tue Jul 18 2017

A great place to take the family. It offers many things to do.

Wed Jul 05 2017

Hiked and ran 50 miles in 1 day, this was one of the trails I'd hit. Tons of bugs, especially cobwebs in the morning. The middle section with the giant trees and fern was the best. Had to use a bug net over my head due to too many cobwebs blinding me and around 20 or so mosquito bites when they bit through my clothes. It's true, this trail is treacherous sometimes. It rained and thunderstormed when I was out there and everything became very slippery. You lose the trail the most when it runs into a campsite. Sometimes it's real hard to find the white blaze again. This place is very hilly, which makes it that much more challenging.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Nice trail with lots of streams to get water. It is well marked but around the streams there are numerous paths made by campers that can lead you down the wrong trail if you are not careful.

Wed Apr 12 2017

2nd time doing a full thru-hike of the completed 19.4 mile section. Parked one car at Jumping Off Rock Trailhead and started at the 24/27 Trailhead. First 6 miles or so we're very wet, lots of stream crossings, but only had one noticable extended uphill. Made it to Hwy 109 trailhead (mile 11) in 5 hours. Continued to the only real bridge near the turnoff for West Morris Mountain Campground. Spent the night next to the river Next day had several of the larger uphill sections, hiked the remaining 6 miles in about 3 hours. Good hike, no real overlooks, but probably do it again the the fall when the leaves are changing

Sat Mar 18 2017

Parked at 109 trailhead and headed south to intersection with Dutchmans Trail and back, about 7 miles RT. No other cars in the parking area Saturday at 1pm. About a mile of the trail exhibits the after effects of a recent Forest fire. Interesting to see that the 2 firebreaks actually worked. Nice mix of up and down, a few stream crossings, but enough rocked to keep toes dry. One is a log crossing; not difficult, but was giving a group of students pause. Fortunately they let me pass. One other car in lot upon my return.