Uwharrie National Recreation Trail

Uwharrie National Recreation Trail is a 19.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mt Gilead, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

19.3 miles 3231 feet Point to Point

Uwharrie National Trail is a moderate trail spanning the distance between Hwy 24/27 (Troy, NC) to Flint Hill Rd (Ophir, NC). It crosses several roads, the largest of which is Hwy 109. THIS IS THE HIKING TRAIL! Not very much in the way of hills. Still, for a piedmont trail, it is a pleasant change of elevation. Quiet, remote and relaxing, UNT is well worth your time.

Parked at 109 trailhead and headed south to intersection with Dutchmans Trail and back, about 7 miles RT.
No other cars in the parking area Saturday at 1pm. About a mile of the trail exhibits the after effects of a recent Forest fire. Interesting to see that the 2 firebreaks actually worked.
Nice mix of up and down, a few stream crossings, but enough rocked to keep toes dry. One is a log crossing; not difficult, but was giving a group of students pause. Fortunately they let me pass.
One other car in lot upon my return.

great trail!

great trail to hike. I am a brand new hiker and me and my family loved it!!! We hiked it and switched to Keyauwee trail heading back to trail head. sort of creating our own 3.8 mile hike. took us newbys 2 hours. had a great time. will be going back to tey out other trails maybe do entire trail one day.

a lot of blow downs from recent storms but the trail was clear.. heard a tree off in the distance come crashing down yesterday near nightfall. Parking lot was packed..

first time out here and won't be the last. trails are marked good and clear. nice scenery.

Just did a 20 mile thru-hike, from Jumping Off Rock to 24/27, this past weekend with some good friends. Had a great time. I really enjoy this trial and the others around it as well. it's nice having something this awesome close to home. I plan on hiking the 40 mile through hike in May if everything works out. Trails are well marked and I never had an issue staying on track the several times I've hiked in the Uwharries. For further info on this area I suggest checking out Don Childrey's Uwharrie Lake Region Trail Guide. An awesome guide for the Uwharrie area and its trails.