Uwharrie/Dutchman's Creek Trail Loop

Uwharrie/Dutchman's Creek Trail Loop is a 18.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Gilead, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailheads are on Hwy 24/27 about 10 miles west of Troy NC. There is a parking lot for several dozen cars. In addition to the hiking trails there are also dedicated biking trailheads in the same location. The Ranger office for the Uwharrie National Forest is located a few miles east of Troy on Hwy 24/27 and is open Monday through Friday. These trails are on USFS land and are more 'wild' than NC State Park trails. There are many campsites scattered along this loop and camping is allowed about anywhere if you can't find one you like. Mountaintops are wooded and there are not any great views but you do get the occasional glimpse through the forest - especially in the winter. Unlike NC State Parks, where you are strongly encouraged to stay ONLY on the trails, this area allows (encourages) people to wander through the forest so there are lots of spurs to nowhere. For the most part, the trails are blazed well.

Fun but challenging trail for my wife and I. Lots of up and down hills so I would definitely say its a moderate trail. bring plenty of water because most if not all the creeks dried up. The trail itself is very rocky and has many roots so I would recommend hiking boots. we also fell several times due to rocks and roots.

Challenging steep trails. Well marked and thanks to everyone being considerate that the area is actually very clean. Very few leftover trash, like a couple or so. Some streams were dry but there were some that had decent amount of water to filter. Hunters were already present and there were gunshots at night.

all creeks are dry

Just a note if you are taking the dog the smaller creeks are dry at the moment

I usually hike mountains. For views and exercise. But I completed this hike yesterday. Very quite and wet from rain previous days. I enjoyed the hike. Did about 11 miles. Lots of big trees down throughout the hike.
Trail was easy to follow. Some issues around river crossings but not that hard if you took a minute to look around.
Will do some of this area in the future. .Only an hour from Charlotte. Where my kids live...

Did the full loop but there are many chances to make the trip longer or shorter. Went backpacking and while the steep parts can be very tiring it was a great trail. Camping was nice as there are many spots to stay at.

2-25-2017. My grandson and I did a short out and back section of Dutchman's Creek trail. it was our first visit to Uhwarrie and his first real trip where he carried a pack and supplies. The day was warm, too warm but the night cooled off and was very nice with a chilly morning. We enjoyed the trail and will certainly be back. We met several other hikers on the trail and enjoyed short chats with a few in passing. On our way back to the trailhead Sunday morning we passed two camps that had been broken and left.....with smoldering fires in both pits AND garbage around camp and in the fire pit. What poor stewards of such an awesome place. I definitely used those camps as teachable moments for my grandson....pack it in, pack it out and even more importantly, always make sure your fire is dead before departing camp.