Twin Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,099 feet Route Type: Loop

Please check for road closures before heading to park. Forest roads are often closed even if trails remain open. You may have to park somewhere else and trek to this trailhead, lengthening your hike.

bridge out

The Forest Service is in the process of upgrading some of the bridges on this trail. We had 11 bridge crossings from the point where we began. One log bridge was tricky with no hand rail. It’s muddy at this point, too. The alternative way was very muddy. This is an odd crossing anyway—crossing the creek and then immediately back over via stepping stones and roots. Not a deal breaker but irritating. The Avery Creek-Twin Falls trail is very pretty, in any case, and worth the effort. Generally moderate with only a few steep spots (such as just before the falls). Folks who like to hike in sandals or with no socks should know that there’s plenty of poison ivy along this trail!

Look, the hike is easy to and from the waterfall and the waterfall is beautiful. Here’s my problem with this hike. The GPS basically tells you it starts at the stables, which is a half mile away from the trailhead. Fine- whatever. Then you hike in on Avery Creek Trail and meet up with Buckthorn Gap trail which takes you to the trail for the waterfall. If you JUST go to the waterfall and come back, which quite frankly I recommend, you maybe at 5ish miles total. I did about 9 today, since after I left the waterfall I wanted to keep going, so I followed the orange blazed Buckthorn Gap trail which is a bunch of “trails to nowhere” it tells you on the sign you are on the trail and then next thing you know a mile later you are still following the trail and the blazes are gone...... it’s a mess. Lots of creek crossings, some a bit precarious. Some mud. Some bees.

Beautiful falls at the end. Muddy due to all the recent rain and A couple of downed trees in Clawhammer. Other than that, it was perfect. A little tough on the dogs, but they were fine.

One of my favorite hikes in Pisgah. The trail is fun with several water crossings over log bridges. Both waterfalls are gorgeous. There has been a lot of rainfall recently so the trail was very muddy. It was great to see the heavy water flow as the water flow is typically very light.

Would not recommend this trail for dogs due to safety in having to cross 5+ single, double, and triple log bridges. Very muddy due to the heavy rain the past few days. Clearly marked. Large tree down near top of Clawhammer Cove though so my dogs and I followed the 5058 back to the stables instead.

Beautiful hike! Twin falls are gorgeous.

Our favorite hike so far. Trail is along rushing stream and the waterfalls are beautiful. Lots of log “bridges” over streams, so not ideal for dogs. Was a bit muddy after a few days of rain/snow. Highly recommend.

Nice, easy trail. Well marked. The fence had the road closed at the stable, so I had to walk in to the trailhead. Definitely worth exploring the falls. Trail is shared in different places with mountain bikes and horses.

My husband and I loved this trail. We will definitely do this one again. Trail was maintained well and there are a lot of water crossings on supported logs or very shallow water. Probably not suitable for small children. The trail follows the river most of the way. We didn’t take the Avery trail back because it was getting dark and we weren’t sure how long it would take but we will try that way next time.

icy

Not too rigorous of a trail. A few footbridges. If the road to the trail is closed, park in the customer lot near the stables and walk up the road.

Don't park at the stables unless you want to hike a long way up a boring gravel road. Look for the trailhead and start there. I started on Avery Creek (blue) and went straight up, running into orange and finally yellow, which is actually Twin Falls Trail. It's not bad at all in mid-December, a little muddy. You can probably see the falls better this time of year without the leaves. It was a bit of scrambling at the end to get good pictures of one falls, I didn't try for the other. About 4.5 miles total, not a bad run. Lots of river crossings though, wouldn't recommend for little kids because it was a little sketchy in some spots.

Nice, you can start closer to the trail split the gravel road continues to there with pull off parking available. Nice trail

Great hike with a variety of trails and scenery! Definitely park where All Trails marks the start of Buckhorn Gap to Twin Falls and then this hike is just slightly longer than that one. We took Buckhorn trail first which was beautiful along the creek although a little muddy. The falls are also beautiful and worth climbing around to experience their different elements. We took the turn from the creek to get some different scenary and some elevation. This part can get a little boring for hiking, probably better for bikes in parts but eventually you get to another creek. You get so much variety going this way. All of it was doable for our two shorts pups. We look forward to returning to this one in the spring!

nice very flat hike along a creek. beautiful fall colors today. I agree with reviewers who say that you should not follow the directions and park at the stable. instead go about a half mile farther down the gravel road number 477 to a pull off on the right for Avery Creek and clawhammer cove trails. or you can go 2 tenths of a mile farther to a trailhead for buckhorn Gap. there do not seem to be any signs for twin falls trail. you are actually making a loop out of buckhorn Gap and clawhammer cove. the trail sign for twin falls is blazed yellow and will come off the buckhorn Gap trail. I agree with reviewers who say it is worth it to scramble up the rocks at the base of the falls to see it closer. there's also a very nice campsite near the base falls

Not crowded at all. The falls are an uphill scramble. Don’t just stop at the bottom! Lots of fallen timber in the falls, but worthwhile

Good hike to test my dog’s comfort level with log crossings, since I knew we could ford at the mountain bike crossings if necessary. Thankfully he did great and we stayed dry! The views of the waterfalls are a bit obstructed in the summer but I can’t wait to come back and take advantage of the campsite our there in the spring. Beyond the spur to the falls, the trail was in a lot rougher shape. I got off on either a rarely-used alternate or a decommissioned trail at one point, so had an extra steep and spider-webby climb up to claw hammer road!