Twin Falls Trail

Twin Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very fun hike. My wife, myself and our two dogs did this loop by parking at the horse stables and starting at the claw hammer cove trail -> claw hammer road -> buck horn gap ( took the yellow blaze spur trail on the right to check out the falls) then hiked back down the spur trail and continued down buck horn gap until it intersected with Avery creek trail. Avery creek trail took us back to the road and to the horse stables.

The all trails app was helpful. We almost took a right on the hiker only portion of the buckhorn gap trail before the falls when we needed to take a left on the mixed use portion to take us down to the falls.

Trail maps are recommended as well as familiarity of the following trails and how they I intersect with one another:

1. Avery Creek Trail
2. Buck horn Gap Trail
3. Twin falls Trail
4. Clawhammer Road
5. Clawhammer Cove Trail

These trails will give you the loop with slight variations in options.

The falls are beautiful and larger than I expected they would be. There is also a third falls as well In the area within a few hundred yards.

I parked at the trailhead about a 3/4 mile past the stables. Took the Clawhammer Cove Trail to the access road. Turn left continued up the road to Buckhorn Gap. The signs were a little confusing in several places - under I got to the falls the AllTrails map was great helping me stay on track. There is a trail running up the right side of the right waterfall (there are 2 hence Twin Falls). Near the fire ring area, go down to the water. I was able to cross the creek on a fallen tree and some rocks to get to the trail up to the waterfall. It was beautiful - I was able to go behind it. I then followed Buckhorn on to Avery Creek Trail. Just past the fire ring area and before the first wooden bridge, I discovered a tiny spur that went up to another small but very pretty fall. Did a nice loop - about 6 - 6 1/2 miles back to the car.

This was a beautiful hike, but we missed the trail marker to get back on Claw hammer from Buckhorn...make sure to keep an eye out it is back off the road a little ways and is over grown. However, it was a lot of fun and we were able to go under the falls at one point....we also saw a baby bear!! That was pretty exciting, so keep your eyes up for the trail marker and the wildlife! Happy trails!

First of all, this trail is not a loop from the Davidson River Rec area and is not 7.2 miles. We used the ranger station map to get to the trail head at Buckhorn Gap. We noticed on the map that if we got on the trail at Clawhammer Cove, just before BG, we could make a counter clockwise loop hike to the falls and add some distance. In reality, Twin Falls trail is an out and back of 4 miles from the BG trailhead. Getting on at Clawhammer Cove, about .2 before BG on the same access road, then picking up on Clawhammer Road, we could then run back in to Buckhorn Gap to the falls. That ended up making a nice loop of almost 6 miles. As we were walking back from the falls we found several nice spots get in the water and cool off before we got back to the car. Also, the falls are not marked well so be on the lookout for a short spur trail that will take you to them. You will hear them, but in summer they are hard to see without taking the spur. All in all, this loop route was very pleasant and not difficult at all. All of the trails were marked and we had no difficulty finding our way. We did this on a Monday and only saw 2 other people.

Loved this hike! I opted for the 4.5 mile hike that begins on the Avery creek trail (as opposed to the 7 mile loop hike). This trail was marked extremely well and followed the creek most of the way. There was even a mini waterfall with the perfect swimming hole near the beginning of the hike that provided us with the perfect way to cool down. I would definitely recommend this one!

Wanted a moderate trail to test out our new backpacking gear and this one was perfect! Incredible foliage and rhododendrons blooming. The creeks were beautiful and the falls were amazing. Found a nice little campsite off the Avery Creek Trail. Would definitely come back to this trail again!