Twin Falls Trail

Twin Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very fun hike. My wife, myself and our two dogs did this loop by parking at the horse stables and starting at the claw hammer cove trail -> claw hammer road -> buck horn gap ( took the yellow blaze spur trail on the right to check out the falls) then hiked back down the spur trail and continued down buck horn gap until it intersected with Avery creek trail. Avery creek trail took us back to the road and to the horse stables.

The all trails app was helpful. We almost took a right on the hiker only portion of the buckhorn gap trail before the falls when we needed to take a left on the mixed use portion to take us down to the falls.

Trail maps are recommended as well as familiarity of the following trails and how they I intersect with one another:

1. Avery Creek Trail
2. Buck horn Gap Trail
3. Twin falls Trail
4. Clawhammer Road
5. Clawhammer Cove Trail

These trails will give you the loop with slight variations in options.

The falls are beautiful and larger than I expected they would be. There is also a third falls as well In the area within a few hundred yards.

I parked at the trailhead about a 3/4 mile past the stables. Took the Clawhammer Cove Trail to the access road. Turn left continued up the road to Buckhorn Gap. The signs were a little confusing in several places - under I got to the falls the AllTrails map was great helping me stay on track. There is a trail running up the right side of the right waterfall (there are 2 hence Twin Falls). Near the fire ring area, go down to the water. I was able to cross the creek on a fallen tree and some rocks to get to the trail up to the waterfall. It was beautiful - I was able to go behind it. I then followed Buckhorn on to Avery Creek Trail. Just past the fire ring area and before the first wooden bridge, I discovered a tiny spur that went up to another small but very pretty fall. Did a nice loop - about 6 - 6 1/2 miles back to the car.

This was a beautiful hike, but we missed the trail marker to get back on Claw hammer from Buckhorn...make sure to keep an eye out it is back off the road a little ways and is over grown. However, it was a lot of fun and we were able to go under the falls at one point....we also saw a baby bear!! That was pretty exciting, so keep your eyes up for the trail marker and the wildlife! Happy trails!

First of all, this trail is not a loop from the Davidson River Rec area and is not 7.2 miles. We used the ranger station map to get to the trail head at Buckhorn Gap. We noticed on the map that if we got on the trail at Clawhammer Cove, just before BG, we could make a counter clockwise loop hike to the falls and add some distance. In reality, Twin Falls trail is an out and back of 4 miles from the BG trailhead. Getting on at Clawhammer Cove, about .2 before BG on the same access road, then picking up on Clawhammer Road, we could then run back in to Buckhorn Gap to the falls. That ended up making a nice loop of almost 6 miles. As we were walking back from the falls we found several nice spots get in the water and cool off before we got back to the car. Also, the falls are not marked well so be on the lookout for a short spur trail that will take you to them. You will hear them, but in summer they are hard to see without taking the spur. All in all, this loop route was very pleasant and not difficult at all. All of the trails were marked and we had no difficulty finding our way. We did this on a Monday and only saw 2 other people.

Loved this hike! I opted for the 4.5 mile hike that begins on the Avery creek trail (as opposed to the 7 mile loop hike). This trail was marked extremely well and followed the creek most of the way. There was even a mini waterfall with the perfect swimming hole near the beginning of the hike that provided us with the perfect way to cool down. I would definitely recommend this one!

Wanted a moderate trail to test out our new backpacking gear and this one was perfect! Incredible foliage and rhododendrons blooming. The creeks were beautiful and the falls were amazing. Found a nice little campsite off the Avery Creek Trail. Would definitely come back to this trail again!

Great moderate height. Love the falls!

Saw beautiful Spring Flowers including numbers of Jack in the pulpits, Dwarf Iris, Catesby Trilliums, and Showy Orchid and the Carolina Silver Bell trees were in bloom.

I parked by the horse stables so the hike ends up being about 8 miles. If you start where I did, continue past the bridge and in about a half mile or so you will see a trail to the right. That will take you to Twin Falls... eventually! Beautiful creek that you follow most of the way with nice creek crossings that have been well made and don't distract from the beauty of nature!

Absolutely loved this hike, only ran into a few other hikers and was at the falls for over an hour with no one else around. Definitely a trail I will be going on again.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Great trail. Surprised to find the ranger station closed on the weekends. And the last bit of road to the trail head was closed (locked gate) so we parked at the lot by the horse stables and walked adding a little more mileage. The hike was beautiful.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great trail and falls, the trail head for Twin Falls trail is well into the hike. The track depicted here starts at the stables. We followed the road we came in on (to the left) for a little over a half mile and then caught a trail to the right. From that point to the falls was a fun trail, crossing the creek several times, sometimes on stepping stones, but mostly on log bridges. This was a drought year, but the falls were still gorgeous. Taking the loop back, the first 1.2 miles is 95% uphill. Once you reach the road it is easy downhill on the road till you get back to the stables.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Finding the falls can be a little tricky. They are beautiful though and we were able to get really close.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Great hike and awesome falls! Drove up and down the gravel road looking for the "Twin Falls" trailhead --- never found it, so we accessed it from Buckhorn Gap. Mostly easy terrain, and the dog loved crossing all the creeks and bridges!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This trail can be an out and back trail of approximately 4.2 miles or longer if you add in other trails. Make sure when you get to the first of the "Twin" waterfalls that you go across it and view the second waterfall 20 yards further on! Twin Falls are two different waterfalls next to each other! And from either the Buckhorn Gap or Avery Creek trail, watch out for the pretty, smaller waterfall shortly after you get on the Buckhorn trail or on the return trip near the end. You should be able to hear it and then see it. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Twin Falls is accessible from Buckhorn Gap trail. It's not evident when you start off on Buckhorn but rest assured you will come across the Twin Falls trail. Very nice little trail with walkways over the creek along the trail. Very cool for a family "adventure".

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Such a fun trail, watch for yellow jackets on the bridges!!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

we couldn't really find the loop but trail is awesome and follows stream entire time

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Nice hike to the falls. I would not do the loop unless you like walking back on old forest road for about 2.5mi.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

To me, some of the most scenic hiking in Appalachia. Avery Creek Trail has you walking beside cascading waters in the front third of the hike. The Twin Falls leg is an amazing hike back and forth of the creek it creates to the base of the main cascade. Several "lovers laydowns" and even a campsite with fire ring at the base of the falls. Moderate terrain allowed me to focus on the many natural wonders along the way instead of footfalls and hiking technique. Enjoyable, spiritual hike.