Tower Trail and Backside Trail Loop

Tower Trail and Backside Trail Loop is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gastonia, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Tower Trail ascends the Crowder Mtn. range up a utility road to a cellphone tower. At the top, it connects to Backside Trail, an alternate .9 mile route down to the parking lot. Total RT is 2.7 mi. Tower Trail is a longer, but less steep climb than Backside Tr. Fantastic view of Charlotte skyline!

Explored the entire summit, today. I think I went to every overlook you could possibly go to.

Took the tower trail up and then the backside trail down! Tower trail was steep going up but very fun. I wished there weren't stairs on the backside trail but it did help because it was a little steep but the views were amazing at the top of Crowders mountain!

Great anaerobic burn especially when hitting the 336 steps. I typically do laps around Tower and connect to Backside. That is about a 2.7 mile lap. If doing two or more laps, I’ll sometimes reverse the laps. I do most of my 25 mile per week runs on this section as I’m less likely to trip on a root or rock, like I might on the other Crowders Mountain trails.

Note: Crowders is a Very Busy Park on the weekends. Arrive early or late, else you may have to wait or park offsite. This is NOT a lightly hiked park as noted on this site. But, it is a damned nice gem of a park here in our Charlotte backyard.

Lastly, if you are reading this, please abide by the Park rules. Leave before the Park closes. The Rangers and Support staff have families to go home to. Lastly, flick off your dog’s crap off trail. The park doesn’t require bagging your pups poops, but it doesn’t mean leave it for us to dodge or step on.

Triple Trail Challenge:
Three trips up the Backside Trail over the lookout and down the Tower Trail gets you over two miles of uphill climb and just over 1,000 rail tie stairs while the downhill slope of the Tower Trail makes this challenge achievable for a wide range of skill levels. Only thing better? Quadruple trail challenge! Enjoy

Great trails. Up the stair section will get you a good workout and then rest with a great view finish out with a nice sweeping wide trail back to the parking lot.
During week saw only a few people

True to the Description listed on the post. Well marked and maintained trail. Took Tower up and Backside down - I’m sure would be great the opposite way too. Backside has many steps near the top. Have to be careful with pups/ kids at the summit as there are many steep cliff sides at the lookout points. Beautiful views!

Backside up,Tower Trail down is the way to do it. 335 steps to the top. The number of spots to go to at the summit to take in the views is also a plus.

One of my favorites. Take a picnic, pack a book, bring the dog.

Excellent!

The view is phenomenal when you make it to the top. Definitely worth the steep incline and 300+ stairs to get there.

What-a-Workout!! i had on ankle weights..Big Mistake.... Lol

Great training trail....

Monday, March 27, 2017

It was an awesome hike up to an awesome view of the Carolinas

Sunday, March 26, 2017

The tower trail is not really a trail but more like a gravel road. The incline is steep but not strenuous as stated. Anyone with a decent amount of exercise can do this hike. On our way up we did see some folks struggling to make it up to the top. Once you get up there there are some rocks on which you could rest to take in the view. The view is alright with trees covering up the view point at some sections. We hit the trail as early as 8:45am & the parking lot at that time was almost full. On our way back they had a security guard monitoring the parking lot for spaces & letting cars in only if there was space available. So go early! Also, we saw that the trail got super crowded on our way down. Overall, an OK trail to do for some exercise.

Monday, February 20, 2017

This trail leads to the top of the mountain. The views are great. I took this trail back to the parking lot but took the Backside Trail up the mountain. The trail was crowded on President's Day with people and dogs. The trail is wide and has plenty of gravel for authorized personnel to use for travel to the top of the mountain and back.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Had a great day hiking this trail with the family. Nice long walk up the mountain. Steep incline near the end. Came back to Linwood access via the Backside Trail down the stairs. Beautiful views from the rock top after passing the towers.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Hard but great!

Monday, November 07, 2016

Really good for hiking maybe need more sings to know where are you located.

Monday, October 31, 2016

It was a good hike. More difficult than I originally thought but it was definitely a good workout. The views are alright, obstructed by trees but that's just part of nature. Overall great hike for this part of the state :)

Friday, October 14, 2016

I've been going here since I was 16 and it has changed so much. Definitely a nice day and a great workout! Not a bad place for a day hike. I was able to connect several loops and clock 11 miles!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

I would call it more Moderate than Hard. Not a long hike to the summit. You hike a gravel road instead of a trail and the overlook isn't spectacular. The view is mostly blocked by trees and you can't really sit at the main overlook to relax a bit. However there is a small secluded overlook right near the main one that not many people notice. Again most of the view is blocked by trees, but you can actually sit down and take in the beauty. Overall it's an OK hike.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

First hike in a long time. I had a relatively easy time getting up the trail, and it didn't take long. The way up is surrounded by woods but you come out at the summit with amazing views of the surrounding area and the Appalachians to the west. Will be returning!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Great views!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Meh. Rated at strenuous but i didn't think it was. Definitely start on the backside trail. The tower trail was really a gravel roadway- not all that interesting. Overall a good quick 1hour long hike.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Nice views of Charlotte skyline at the top

Monday, July 27, 2015

The trail can be confusing your first time at the tower. To go to Backside trail continue close and on right side of the tower. Some markers would be helpful.

Friday, November 14, 2014

I completed the loop ascending the Tower Trail and descending the Backside Trail. The Tower Trail was not so much a trail as a gravel road to the summit. While not particularly challenging the views were wonderful and access to the trailhead is a quick trip from Charlotte.
I would recommend ascending the Backside Trail and descending Tower Trail. The main reason for this is that the stairs near the summit on the Backside Trail are exceedingly narrow making descent awkward.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tower trail is a little less than 2 miles but not very challenging. Gravel road the whole way up but some areas are pretty steep. Great views at the top. Take the backside trail down for a quicker way back. Good amount of steps on the backside trail that I have not tried, but are really steep in some sections which could make for a much tougher climb.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Nice trail. Took the tower trail up the side of the mountain with our dog- Britta.

Although a pleasant walk, it's a gravel road which was not very friendly to our dog's paws. She didn't like it very much. Because it was cloudy she didn't like the view from the top either.

The trip down was nice. And they have restrooms at the trailhead.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My 7yo daughter & I went up this way - everyone else was coming down. I think it was a better decision since the turns make the climb less steep. We went down Backside Trail. I didn't think it was more than a 2mi hike. We finished in about 2.5 hrs with all our sightseeing & pics at the summit - her first!! :-)