Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Three Top Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Creston, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,414 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is not well marked and not highly traveled, but the view from the top are incredible. In first section, you will cross three streams and then head up the ridge. There is significant canopy and heavy brush in some places, with very little flat areas on switchbacks to catch your breath.

Gorgeous nearly 360 views in only about an hour up hike with several small waterfalls on the way. Follow the signs to trailhead using gravel residential roads, fairly steep and rough at times (Google Maps wasn’t perfect but you’ll find it). Not too crowded. Choose this hike for half day that isn’t too hard but with views you’ll remember.

I’ve lived here for eight years and have never hiked three top Mountain until yesterday because all the other trails are closed due to Covid19. I’m not sure why I never attempted to hike this trail cause it’s so worth it! The views are amazing up at the top. I love the little mini waterfalls along the way. It is a strenuous hike , you’re gaining almost 1500 in elevation. It’s quite a climb. There was no one there when I got there but then by the time I left and got back to the trail head there was a ton of cars. I guess cause there’s nowhere else to hike right now LOL I definitely will do this trail again in the fall

Three Top has lots of falls and springs along the trail. Beautiful wild flowers. Well maintained trail. We hiked on May 2, 2020. The climb is steep and the view at the top outstanding!! A real find.

Decent hike outside of state parks. Not as great of a view at the top as others are saying. Total distance is 3.3 miles if you park in the correct spot

Nice day for a hike. This is one of my favorite hikes in my home county. Usually you have the trail to yourselves and it's always a good gauge of fitness if you've been sitting around all winter.

Great trail-follow the signs to trailhead. There IS a parking area (I missed it) but I parked below and found the parking area on my way in. Never saw another soul hiking today! Great workout! Wish I had remembered my poles for the hike down.

Fantastic little out of the way trail. Incredible panorama at the top. Not especially technical or difficult in my opinion unless you take the little unmarked trail to the Big Rock Peak (which didn't have as good a view as the main one for me, though there was a bit much brush in the way on the actual pinnacle for me to climb up the snowy rock).

This is a great trail. You do have a nice little incline on the way up but if your in decent shape it's no problem. The views are incredible. The snow gives it a little extra magic! I recommend doing this trail and then head to Elk Knob.

There are signs through the neighborhood to direct you to the parking area which is on a one lane rough road. The trail is a road most of the way and is marked with blue blazes on the trees. It starts easy then gets very steep. At the top you can continue on the ridgeline with a bit of a rock scramble. I deemed it a little too sketchy to continue with my dog. Views are well worth it! No real waterfalls, but the tributary drops are pretty. There are active hunters in the area so wear your orange!

The highlight of the trail is the beautiful 360 degree view from the top of Three Top Mountain, known as Huckleberry Rock. On a clear day, one can see the Iron Mountains in Virginia, most of the high peaks in Ashe County and the North Carolina High Country, as well as the outlines of far away ranges such as the Roan Highlands. The trail itself is strenuous but not crazy, as it follows an old logging road for the first 1.5 miles or so before turning into a path. Many websites note the difficulty in finding the trail head, but I had no issue as there were signs (may be new) pointing to Three Top Gameland and Trails on every turn/intersection after the turn onto Hidden Valley Road. The trail is on an active gameland, so it is good habit to wear orange. Also, as of right now, North Carolina prohibits hunting on public gamelands on Sundays.

Good trail, pretty steep but rewarding. The clouds rolled in as I got to the top so It was just me, the pup, and a small top. The wind was cool. Puppy loved it. The GPS coordinates take you to a turn in the road. Straight is a private road, left .4 miles is the trail head. Drive slowly. The locals maintain their own roads..

Good climb and amazing views! There is also a very rough trail across the saddle to the other summit if you want to add another mile to your hike. Once you find the trail it’s not to hard to hard to follow. Trail starts about 100ft back down the main trail from the main summit.

Started out as a trail run, became a shuffle, then a walk. It was a great trail though.

I gave this four stars because the views from the top are well worth the climb. Here are my thoughts. 1. there is a vehicle turnaround and small amount of parking at the actual trialhead. Note this is a half mile up the gravel road from the actual coordinates "green dot" AllTrails directions provides. A brown metal pole is the start of the trial. I uploaded pics of these. 2. The first first section of the trail is flat and smooth. The trail then turns uphill and is basically a wet weather streambed. There is significant erosion in places and long term some work will need to be done to maintain this excellent hike. Much of the trail (up to 1/4 mile from the top) appears to be an old roadbed. 3. Its a good workout and the views at the top are fantastic. Nearly 360 degree views of the highlands from Mount Rogers in Va to Mount Mitchell in NC

Parking: I agree with everyone who says you need an SUV of some type to get to the actual TH. Doesn’t need to be 4wd though. Clearance is the key. But the trail as mapped in this app starts from the location where you can park your vehicle and walk up the road to the TH and then to the trail. So the mileage listed is accurate. There is only room for maybe two cars, but this doesn’t seem to be a popular hike, so likely not an issue. This is rated hard because the 2nd mile is a bit unforgiving. But I don’t think it is as crazy as some others have described. I’d say if you are in reasonable shape, you’ll be fine. The summit is amazing with great views and some rock scrambles should you like to push yourself beyond the shown trail at the summit. I was there Labor Day weekend and didn’t see another sole, so you should have the summit to yourself.

The hike up is strenuous but SO worth it at the top. 360 degree views for miles! At first you’re like “huh, this isn’t so bad...” but then the climbing begins

The other reviews were spot on! Challenging drive up and a few steep sections, but amazing, panoramic views. 360 degrees of beautiful! My wife, two kids (ages 7 & 10) and our dog had a wonderful time. It took us 3 hours out and back with a nice break at the top to take it all in. Highly recommend it!

Most of this hike to the top is uphill and a decent grade. It is definitely strenuous. Most of it is shaded. Took me and my dog about an hour to get to the top. But the view was amazing and beautiful. Well worth it. The trail was well marked. I was glad I had my hiking shoes on as the trail has a lot of Riverstone and some was wet. Only saw 2 other sets of people on a Friday.

Strenuous hike but in a good way. Amazing views at the top. Not much to see until the top but you do cross a few mini waterfalls which was fun. We took our 3 boys (9, 6, 3) and they did it just fine, although the 3 year old only made it 1.25 miles on his own. Last 0.35 miles involved a lot of pushing through overgrowth. Not true bushwhacking but close. Road up to trailhead is rough but passable with an SUV (we don’t have 4WD), but slow going given how windy it is. We were alone on the trail on a Friday morning. Would definitely do it again.

tough trail with lose rocks and downed limbs, but the core at the to is special

Great secluded hike and awesome view. Very hard

Sun May 26 2019

Do not do this hike without a vehicle SUV sized or larger. The road leading up to the trailhead is about a mile up a very steed and poorly marked gravel road. If it is wet or has recently rained it may be impossible to reach the trailhead.

Sun May 26 2019

We got all the way to the trail head in an Accord but it was definitely a little spooky. Could have been impossible had it been muddy but it hadn't rained in a week. There are maybe some spots you could park on the side of the road if you can't get to the lot but definitely nothing marked. Really lovely hike! We were nervous about going out there since we've been a bit out of practice but going up was really alright with a couple of breaks to catch my breath before I remembered to slow down my pace. Was glad to have grabbed a stick on my way in, caught myself with it once on the way up and it definitely helped balance me out on the way back down. The way up was pretty nice but nothing amazing, and the top was really, really gorgeous. A bunch of butterflies were out and hanging with us while we ate lunch.

Sat May 18 2019

the view is worth it!!! Gravel and muddy road so don't take a small car.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Amazing view from the top! My husband and I found the way to the top challenging and the way down relatively easy. It took us ~ 2.5 hrs to hike up and back. The trail is doable for dogs. We took our 15-week old Corgi with us. Trail is not well marked. Keep in mind it is a game land, dress colorfully.

Tue Feb 26 2019

Back again on a beautiful late February day. We always enjoy this hike with the views of the surrounding country side and the long range views to Grandfather Mountain, Mount Rogers and Whitetop. Parts of the trail was pretty wet due to all the rain we've had lately but its worth it. Next time we'll try a side hike over to Big Rock.