Theodore Roosevelt Nature Trail

Theodore Roosevelt Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Atlantic Beach, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The Roosevelt Nature Trail is part of the 292-acre Theodore Roosevelt Nature Area, located on the grounds of the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. It winds along a high dune ridge through a maritime forest, bordered by both a large salt marsh area and the Bogue Sound. It is great for viewing wildlife and also includes several interesting interpretive signs.

Nice easy trail but it was too buggy and humid to walk in July. This is the only free trail. The other trails closer to the ocean are only accessible through the aquarium with a paid admission. It is too bad that isn’t clearly marked in their site or in the parking lot. The admissions office was helpful.

Nice, quiet trail, thick vegetation, we are a family of four with 2 kids ages 5 & 3, we pushed an all terrain stroller fairly easily, some inclines harder than others. Trail winds up and down, but I would consider it easy. Single file waking only, trail is slim. There are some ponds along the way, we saw little crabs, a few birds, a frog, lots of dragon flies, a few butterflies. End of the trail has nice views of the Bogue Sound. On the way back I picked 2 ticks off of my leg and I used Deep Woods spray, guess it didn't work all that well. Bring bug spray and keep applying, there are lots of bugs, especially mosquitos.

Overall nice trail, we enjoyed it!

A short, easy and uncrowded trail with nice views of both the marsh and Bogue Sound. I saw lots of wildlife on my relaxing early morning hike.