The Boogerman Trail

The Boogerman Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waynesville, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,128 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Waterville, NC: Take the twisty SR 32 south approximately 10 - 12 miles to the Chataloochee Campground. The road will fork and you will want to bear right.

I loved this trail. it is just beautiful. My grandchildren loved it. They especially loved the idea of having to cross the river multiple times. I would definitely do it again

bridge out

All around great hike. Bring water shoes for several knee-deep creek crossings. Some uphill ascent in the beginning (going clockwise) and only one steep spell later on. The rest is casual, beautiful walking. Took 3.5 hours at a sturdy pace with a few breaks. Only cell service you can get (Verizon) is at the halfway point of the loop.

bridge out

Great trail to hike for the day. We didn't see anyone the entire time. We went clockwise as recommended and although you do gain some elevation it is not unrelenting. Very secluded and peaceful. The old stone fence and old forest trees made the hike interesting. Several water crossings due to bridges being out. We brought water shoes and hiking poles and made it across just fine. Water was below the knee at the deepest point.(I'm 5'7") After the hike we continued down the road and watched the elk and visited the old town. It was a great day full of adventure.

bridge out

Doing this clockwise makes a lot of sense. Thanks to those who recommended that direction. Last 3 miles are very wet due to bridges being out. We just waded through with boots on, as we were already wet from the usual late July rains. It took us 4.5 hours, including breaks.

It was a nice walk through the woods. Probably better for trail running. Lots of river crossings the last mile or so. Lots of taking shoes off, wading through knee deep water. Than shoes on. Wish I had worn my Luna running shoes or water hiking keens. Trail was easy enough for these shoes. I ended up taking a dip in the high water. It was the best part of the trail. It was. Nice walk. Would call it an easy hike. There was really only one area where it was steep for about 0.1 miles. Probably wouldn’t do it again, but would wear water shoes if I did.

Yes, many river crossings (hikers enrichment) but water was refreshing. Large trees, butterflies and animal tracks including bear. Very nice hike!

bridge out

I'm not exactly an expert hiker but this one was TOUGH, a lot of steep upward elevation, on the second half though theres a gradual decline with river crossings, 6 of them if memory serves. be prepared to take your shoes off frequently, but it was very refreshing at the end of a tough hike!

Usually I wouldn’t give a low rating but this trail was not very well marked from the start. We found the trail head no problem but as we hiked, it got a bit confusing. Would only recommend if you know the trail or have a detailed map.

This is a great trail!! Bring your water shoes and shorts!

Totally a great trail. Nice and secluded with a beautiful canopy. There were stretches of soft flat trail between the more challenging bits that give you a nice break. So glad I read reviews before hand because you definitely need water shoes. I too recommend doing the loop clockwise because the biggest water crossings are in the last 3 miles. I’m 5’8 and some of the crossing had water going up to my mid thigh. I grabbed a nice sturdy stick to help keep my balance on the slippery rocks. Still a ton of fun and it took us about 5 hours.

We liked this trail a lot. We did the 7.3 mile loop on the last Saturday in May and didn’t run into anybody. We had to cross water at knee height (I’m 5’1”) in 6 places. It made for a cool adventure.

I'm giving this 5 stars because it was quite an adventure! Beautiful LARGE old trees, an interesting stone wall & many monarch butterflies. I did the loop but my GPS mileage at the end was 8.9, which makes sense if you add the 1.6 (.8 x 2) to get to the start of Boogerman to the 7.3 miles stated in the trail description. I went clockwise & the first 4 miles were really nice! The lower part & west side of the loop was very challenging - 10 river crossings, 4 with bridges - so 6 crossings! I brought my TEVA water sandals, thank goodness! 2 crossings were no problem, but 4 of them the water was up past my knees & moving quite fast. Also, Caldwell Fork Trail is used by horses. And with horses comes horse poop. With horse poop comes flies & other bugs. VERY BUGGY!! The horses also muddied up some of the low trail areas & it wasn't passable without sinking into the mud. The Boogerman Trail done as an out & back is rated correctly - Moderate. But the Boogerman Loop with all the river crossings, horse manure, mud & bugs should be rated as DIFFICULT.

Six or so river crossings that make it a bit more challenging than most moderate trails.

currently walked with kids, steep climbs at times but super beautiful hike! largest trees in the Eastern US are worth the hike! didn't see the home site or wagon wheel 2-3 miles in but did see the historic walls and lots of amazing flowers such as lady slipper and trilliums the size of my hand! many crossing of the creeks wouldnt have been bad, except the water was waist high and swift so carries kids one at time to get across safely! some forks were not properly marked so stay focused and be prepared of directions before going on loop! saw 3 snakes on path and fresh (still wet) huge skin right in middle of path so be very aware they are there! took us about 5 hours to do whole loop but we did stop mid way for small lunch break!

Great trail ! Loved it but should be rated higher than moderate because of the stream fording during high waters which makes it a little more challenging.

Stream crossings were really high, thigh to waste level but a lot of rain yesterday. Great hike!

lots of water crossing. beautiful area.

bridge out

4 river fords if you take the loop. Road up to the part of the park is narrow gravel.

bridge out

not much to view, couple of stream crossing, mostly walk through the forest, some elevation gain.