The Boogerman Trail

The Boogerman Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Waterville, NC: Take the twisty SR 32 south approximately 10 - 12 miles to the Chataloochee Campground. The road will fork and you will want to bear right.

Having read other reviews I agree with most of them. However my experience was that only one stream required removal of shoes but it had been dry lately. Fortunately had river shoes in backpack. Also signing seemed clear to me and trail was obvious. Didn't see any blazes on trees but trail really didn't need them since there were really no side trails per se. Only places that would had any doubt had the signs. There was one other crossing with a dangerously wobbbly footbridge but fortunately there was a large tree that had fallen near it which allowed me to crawl across. Mileage of 7.8 seemed accurate. Glad took loop clockwise because was able to get the harder inclines out of the way and the last quarter of loop was near creeks and mostly flat and very enjoyable. Always rather end a hike on an enjoyable note. No scenic views of mountainsides but hike had all other things that make a hike enjoyable usually. About halfway point despite trying to be noisy came around a curve and surprised a large black bear. The bear seemed scared at first and scampered up high side of ridge above trail only to stop only 20 foot above the trail and myself and turned head to look back at me. Contrary to usual advice on this matter I didn't back away since we were already beside each other but quickly walked on. When I got about 30 Feet away the bear came back across the trail and went down the ridge in the direction of where the trail curved to but I continued to be noisy and fortunately never saw bear again. Later after finishing hike drove down the road to the valley to see more than a dozen elk.

So this is truly a beautiful hike. It includes all of the elements you seek in a GSM hike, ruins from pioneers of long ago, old growth forests with ancient trees, babbling rivers/creeks, and a plethora of wildflowers, however you should be fully aware of what you're getting into. One, the entire GSMNP is NO DOGS ALLOWED, you've been notified. Two, even though this trail is rated as moderate, be assured it is strenuous in sections, no matter which direction you choose to complete the loop, plan on about 1200ft + elevation gains. The trails are not well marked nor are they well maintained. If going clockwise on the trail, make sure you measure out your distance as you hike from the trailhead, Boogerman Trail starts on the left at exactly 0.8 miles, and is not marked. On the loop you will encounter 3 stream crossings that will require you to remove your hiking boots and get in, the water is not deep but the rocks are slippery and the current moderately strong. And last but not least the entire loop, including the 0.8 in and out, is more like 9 miles. We did this hike with two kids and by the time we stopped and smelled the flowers and shoed and unshoed three times, it took about 4 hours. I definitely recommend you map out the route before you go bc, again, it is not well marked. Happy trails!

This was a nice hike. I'm just starting on my backpacking training so this was nice for a longer hike with my backpack. There were 2 places we had to cross the water by foot which made it tricky but we had brought our water shoes so no worries, just really cold. Also a lot of trees down along the way.
Once on the actual Boogerman Trail it gets STEEP.
I'm not sure I would do it again anytime soon. Not really any views but it was a good way to test out my pack as well as myself!

We enjoyed hiking this trail. There are some obstacles such as creek crossings and bridges with questionable railings but that made it interesting. There are not many views on this trail but a lot of things to see along the trail such as wildflowers, old trees and the stone walls. We even found a small area of flaming azaleas. After we were finished we drove over and saw several elk in the fields. Very cool!

Beautiful, lush trail. Easy to moderate the whole way. There are at least 3 significant stream crossings, but none over 2-3 ft deep. Long steep climb towards the end if you do the loop counterclockwise. Light traffic, a good solitary hike on a weekday.

Great trail with lots of old forest. There are several creek crossings, mainly because bridges are washed out. Small creeks though, so it makes it a lot of fun. Just be prepared to get wet or take your boots off. A historic stone wall at the end of the trail.

This is a five star in and out hike from the lower junction of Caldwell to the upper Junction -- over 4 miles I believe -- the start of a clockwise hike around the loop. BUT, avoid the last part of the loop. There are at least a dozen stream crossings most without foot bridges and if the water is up like it is today they are dangerous. We had to use alternate crossings like beaver dams and bushwhack a lot. My 2013 guidebook claimed foot bridges on most of the crossings. I don't know what happened to them since then, but they are not there. If you read the comments you will see others have warned about this and crossed getting wet up to their waists. Even that would have been fine today, but the current was too swift to do it safely. This is not an April Fools joke folks.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Thursday, October 20, 2016

This was a great hike. It was more of an incline than we anticipated,but loved it. We went yesterday which was pretty much at its peak in fall and was simply beautiful. There was something very ominous that occurred after the first 2 miles..my wife and I both experienced a fast pulse in our heads that was the exact same beat 3 separate times in the same location in the back of our heads. I know this sounds strange,but it happened to both of us during 15 min of a section of the hike. So if this happens to you,it will pass! Interesting to say the least though . There were many signs of the early settlers which was great to experience throughout the hike. We did not see the burial sites though. Many river crossings that we had to ford through made the hike more interesting. We brought wet shoes since it's much easier to cross without slipping. I'm sure the water would of been much higher a few months back,but It was up to our knees this time around. The hike on all trails says its 7.5 miles but it's actually a little over 8 miles. We took extra breaks to enjoy the fall colors and of course the incline didn't help. Ha. I highly recommend this hike!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful area! We enjoyed the hike. Foot bridge was out so we crossed barefoot. Fun hike!