Tanawha Trail

Tanawha Trail is a 21.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

This Trail is a slammalammajamma and one I often enjoy hiking in the nude

This is a very long trail with multiple starting points. I choose to do a 2 mile loop that starts from a trail head on Holloway Mountain road which is accessed from Church road in Foscoe. From the Holloway Trail Head parking lot cross the road and turn left, walk about 25 yards and look for a gated forestry road on your right. The out trail after a mile connects with the Boone Fork Trail. Make a left and hike about 400 yards on Boone Fork and make another left into the forest to connect up to the return trail. Nice trail for walking the dog and when wild flowers are in bloom. I have also hiked this trail from the Holloway Trail Head towards the Parkway. From the parking lot hike straight up the hill /cow pasture in front of you and bear right. Watch out for cow pies. This section of trail goes all the way to the Parkway about 13 miles. I usually only hike it about 4 miles rt as an out and back. Lots of nice scenery and open meadows.

Great hike! Takes you under the viaduct, up and over, in and out of the woods with just enough views to keep you anticipating. I will give away a secret here. There is a location just after you come up from the viaduct, maybe mile 1 or 2 that gives you one of the best views overlooking the viaduct. This is where A LOT of famous pictures of the viaduct are taken.

Stumbled upon a famous photographer just sitting on this rock/overlook and found out later that a picture he captured that day was going to be featured in a nationally published Calendar and Magazine. It was neat to see it with my own eyes and then in the calendar! And it should be noted, I traveled in the fall with the brightest leaves I had ever seen in the Appalachians.

Since the Linn Cove Visitor Center was closed off to cars driving in, we hiked from the Stack Rock parking area to Rough Ridge and back. I would consider the section from the Viaduct to Rough Ridge a rocky and moderate one - definitely NOT in the easy category. This made for a 6 mile out and back point to point. Would love to finish the rest of the trail sometime from Rough Ridge going north to Julian Price!

rock climbing

Started the trail at beacon heights, lots of great bouldering spots. Favorite trail to take my dog on!

Beautiful misty day- hiked from the viaduct to Holloway Mointain Rd.

geocaching

My fiancé and I started the trail at beacon heights this morning and finished in around seven hours. First off the trail is over the measured to be 13 miles one way... second the rating of easy was true for myself whom is an experienced hiker but for someone who is not very experienced the portion of the trail from rough ridge to beacon heights is the hardest with a good portion of it being what I would consider "stairs". This portion is also the most scenic with good views, large walls to check out and rough ridge which is one of the better places to see on the parkway. Overall the hike was good and I will do it again.

Need to go back & explore the greater area! Nice & cool today.