Sycamore Trail

Sycamore Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Raleigh, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Sycamore Trail is located near Raleigh, North Carolina. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 2-3 hours. The Sycamore Trail is located in William B. Umstead State Park. The trailhead is located on the northern side (highway 70 entrance) of the park. This is a very popular park and can be very busy on pretty days. This is a good woods walk. No overlooks and no great mountainous expansions but, given that the park bumps up right against Raleigh, it's a great place to get away from the traffic. The trail rambles around on the northern side of the park, and is lightly populated with people except on weekends. You might get lucky and see a snake or two, and maybe a deer, but otherwise there isn't a whole lot of wildlife on this one. Go during fall for some great colors. Go during rain for seclusion.

It's a gorgeous wooded area. Very busy and muddy after rain.

Choose to go here because the rating said low traffic... totally inaccurate. The place was packed on a Sunday afternoon. I do not recommend going if you’re looking for a quiet trail without many people on it.

Great trail. I walked this trail in the rain and barely noticed because of all the tree cover. One section was closed because of a major flood, but it didn't take off much mileage. Overall a great easy to moderate hike.

Great trail especially after a snowfall. Trail is rated moderate but I found it pretty easy going. Not sure how it got its name since Sycamore trees were pretty scarce.

An old favorite after a week of rain. Rivers and creeks full. Trails in overall good shape.

Nice quiet trail. Great escape from it all, will go back

Pretty flat and not too many roots at the beginning. The elevation and tougher ground starts around the loop and it was a fun length! Good start to a day

it's good trials..

One of my favorites.

nice trail with slight incline for a moderate workout. good for a technical trail run. alot is by a creek making for nice scenery

Good walk in the woods, some of the trail has water nearby which makes for a nice background noise.

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail and would do again when we come back to visit our friends who live a very short distance form the park. We went on a weekday around 7:30am shortly after the Crabtree entrance to the park opens which is 7am all other entrances open at 8am. Parking was free and easy. Was well shaded which kept the temperature down and the creek that you walk along side where the trail loops was great and not really any bugs attacking you although we did bug spray ourselves well prior to which is pretty good considering it was late July. Nice, even well maintained trail much more so than the CA trails that we're familiar with. Had quite a few roots and some rocks but we weren't bothered by this as we were wearing hiking shoes/boots but this trail is definitely doable in sneakers just a matter of personal preference and comfort level. I wouldn't personally consider this trail moderate it was a nice, relaxing hike but still kept your heart rate up with some changes in incline here and there and of course the humidity which was to be expected. Just FYI, there was not any drinkable water available at the time of our hike on 07/26 to refill our water bottles halfway through the hike as the nearest water fountain was out of service and the sink located outside the restroom nearby is non-potable water which it clearly indicates on the side of the water pipe so plan to bring plenty of water with you. We had not brought our Camelbaks like we normally would have as we were visiting from out of state and were attempting to keep the packing on the lighter side but will do so next time, lesson learned. But overall a great new hiking experience.

I may be biased as I just moved here from the mountains of NC, but this trail was pretty bland in my opinion. I’d consider this more for running rather than hiking. I thought that there was gonna be a nice river on the trail; however, it was also pretty dull/bland and it’s not very appealing.

Took the dogs and the 8 yr old on a rainy day. Had basically the whole place to ourselves. When the downpours came we were covered by trees so barely even noticed. It was a long 7 miles with the older dog and the kiddo but I along with the pup could have kept going. Quite a few roots to look out for if youre running it but a pretty easy hike, just long. It is really nice to have something do quiet and secluded right in the heart of Raleigh.

I really enjoyed this trail. Very well marked!! I was surprised, however, when the park didn't open until 0700.

nice river which runs along the trail, went when the leaves were bare and it was beautiful.

Excellent afternoon on the Trails - If you have never been here, and live within an hour of the park you are cheating yourself.
The trails is really an easy trail, and the hills are small and the terrain is forgiving...

For the most part the trail is well under a canopy of trees, and the breeze was consistent.
We lived in the Raleigh area years ago, and on a weekend getaway we decided to hit this park...
And so glad we decided to change plans and hit Umstead!

You will love all 11 miles - (We also took on Sal's Branch/Loop)
There is a trail here for everyone

Nice trail for a peaceful walk.

Monday, January 01, 2018

I like to combine this trail with the Company Mill trail for a nice 12 mile hike. I start at trail head. At the loop portion, I go right. At the Graylyn trail, I cross the bridge and pick up Company Mill. upon my return, I pick up the Sycamore trail where I left off, and complete it.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Great trail! no summit views, but there is enough terrain that keeps it interesting! Pathway is mainly dirt, so a pups paws would be fine.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Great trail. Just enough rocks and roots to keep it interesting, especially in the late fall as the leaves make it tricky in spots. Well marked, no issues following the trails.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Be prepared for a little of everything on this trail. It has its inclines & declines. It has rocky, rooty (if that is a word) & smooth trails. It is cut through a large forest some you have loads of shade. Several places to to take a short break if you need one. There is water about 1/2 way in the loop.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Not much wildlife but great forest density and enough elevation to keep the eyes and heart moving. Tree roots abound.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Trail tougher than company mill even though the elevation isn't the issue. More tree roots, unsteady trails requiring more concentration. Nice hike, though.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

really pretty. you can't bike on this trail.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Depends on what time of day you go. But it looks amazing when it's really bright and hot outside! Trail is easy enough to run as well if you choose too. And long enough that you still see people using the trekking poles and big packs occasionally. I personally enjoy loading up my backpack and walk it if iam with people not running, if I am by myself I would just do a hydration pack and run it.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Definitely the longest hiking trail in Umstead. Some very scenic creeks and streams run past the trail. Quite a few birds, squirrels, and lizards will accompany you on your trek. Multiple trails intersect should you wish to change course. In order to stay on the trail, look for blue triangles that mark the trees. Lightly trafficked. Dog-friendly (leashed) with some trail runners. Sycamore Creek offers the hiker a gorgeous sight. Many knotted paths and elevation changes keep the trail exciting. There is quite a bit of straight trail before the loop begins.

Monday, April 17, 2017

I leave the kids behind for this one. This is a great trail to escape the crowd in the middle of the city.

Sunday, March 26, 2017