Sycamore Trail

Sycamore Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morrisville, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 610 feet Route Type: Loop

Sycamore Trail is located near Raleigh, North Carolina. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 2-3 hours. The Sycamore Trail is located in William B. Umstead State Park. The trailhead is located on the northern side (highway 70 entrance) of the park. This is a very popular park and can be very busy on pretty days. This is a good woods walk. No overlooks and no great mountainous expansions but, given that the park bumps up right against Raleigh, it's a great place to get away from the traffic. The trail rambles around on the northern side of the park, and is lightly populated with people except on weekends. You might get lucky and see a snake or two, and maybe a deer, but otherwise there isn't a whole lot of wildlife on this one. There is a visitor center but be advised that their supplies are limited. Go during fall for some great colors. Go during rain for seclusion.

Great .. Plenty of root systems, so watch your footing.. Heavily trafficked with others hiking, running, dog walking. Great views along the river

Well maintained trail with plenty of maps, markers, and signs. Never very far from a road. I'm just visiting NC and was hoping for more of a hike but this is a good gentle trail run. Take a look at the map before you go because hitting the Directions button and via Google maps took me to a handicap parking lot.

great trail, full body exercise

Great Trail great company.

Nice trail, not a huge amount of views but well worth it.

Absolutely well-maintained and beautiful trail fantastic

Great trail with lots of coverage! You'll have to watch out for roots but other than that, it's well maintained. The route isn't full of the most beautiful views you've ever seen but once you get to the turn near Sycamore lake, that will be more than make up for it. I highly recommend!

Super nice; wear bug spray. Aggressive bees haha

AllTrails says 6.7 miles, sign says 7.2 miles, my phone says 7.5 miles. Good trail for the area. Not totally flat but not very strenuous. Well maintained. A decent number of people but not overly crowded. Parking was still plentiful when I left at 12pm on a nice Saturday. Seems to be popular with trailrunners. There are some nice creek sections but overall it's just a trail through some wooded hills. That's great for me, but if you want a view or some sort of destination with your hike then this isn't the trail for you.

Trail was awesome. Constant change of elevation and occasionally going along streams made it very enjoyable. only complaint was that this trail was longer than the 6.7 it says on here.

I tripped and fell twice. It may be that I’m clumsy, but they should have better first aid supplies in the visitor center. They had almost nothing. They didn’t even have a lot of antiseptic wipes. They didn’t have big enough Band-Aids. They certainly didn’t have a person who knew what he was doing. I am very disappointed

Great Trail but I did not expect that trail to be so long. The description of this trail says it’s 6.70 and my Apple Watch said it was 8.25 miles which took us 3hrs 30 min to complete. Also keep in mind that it gets really humid by the water so I say go when it’s below 85 degrees and take a lot of hydration.

Good trail overall and well-maintained and well marked for most of it. However at the end of the loop before coming back to the main portion it is not marked too well and I took a wrong turn. Thank you AllTrails or getting me back on course.

I did this one yesterday and a few days earlier. The sign says 7.2 miles, but my trusty Apple Watch says it’s a bit longer. It could use a few more trail markers as I’ve been known to wander off the path from time to time. Overall, it’s very nice.

Great trail.

Definitely recommend for trail runs. My wife and I usually run on loblolly. However we ran this for the first time today and we think it’s our new favorite trail for running in Umstead!

Great trail. Very muddy in spots after a rain. Good workout

It's a gorgeous wooded area. Very busy and muddy after rain.

Choose to go here because the rating said low traffic... totally inaccurate. The place was packed on a Sunday afternoon. I do not recommend going if you’re looking for a quiet trail without many people on it.

Great trail. I walked this trail in the rain and barely noticed because of all the tree cover. One section was closed because of a major flood, but it didn't take off much mileage. Overall a great easy to moderate hike.

Great trail especially after a snowfall. Trail is rated moderate but I found it pretty easy going. Not sure how it got its name since Sycamore trees were pretty scarce.

Sat Nov 17 2018

An old favorite after a week of rain. Rivers and creeks full. Trails in overall good shape.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Nice quiet trail. Great escape from it all, will go back