Sweetgum Swamp to Blueberry Ridge Trail

Sweetgum Swamp to Blueberry Ridge Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nags Head, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Great trail and very clearly marked. 1&2 gave beautiful scenery with some challenging inclines and some beautiful built in steps. When we hit trail 3, we made it about 1/4 mi in before a 4ft cotton mouth jumped out at us. Standing its ground in the middle of the trail we turned around to have an even bigger rat snake do the same 200ft away. My heart definitely got a workout. Took it really slo the rest of the way out of trail 3, spotting another big cotton mouth curled up next to the trail. Still a great hike. If you’re snake sight seeing head to trail 3 after it rains

Nice hike. Clearly marked and well maintained trail. Saw a few plain bellied water snakes (not a plus for me!). Real downfall to this hike is the flies. About 25% of my hike I was harassed by them and had to continually swat my hands as I was walking. Maybe it was the time of year I went. It was an overcast day and I went about 4 pm. According to the sandy parts of the trail, I was the first one there that day. No other footprints. I would like to try some of the other trails next time I’m back.

I came across this visiting for the weekend. Overall, it's a pretty cool place and well tended to. This trail was 1 of 6 within the entire preserve. Unfortunately, my visit was the day after a thunderstorm, so the conditions were wet and humid. This also meant the bugs were in abundance (despite being covered in bug spray). I'd love to give this one another go, but maybe during a cooler season or with more clothing.

Nice hike through a maritime forest with numerous intradunal ponds and tall pines. Due to recent rains, the first small loop as you start the trail was closed. There were several ascents and descents on this trail, which made for a nice workout. The highlight was a plain-bellied watersnake about two feet off the trail that was getting ready to shed its skin and didn’t move when we walked by and took a photo. Some of the pictures submitted for this trail show sound views but those pictures are probably for the Discovery Trail that does have great sound views.

We enjoyed this trail. The hills were challenging and the forest was beautiful.

It's nice. Went with the dogs. Unfortunately the whole trail isn't open to dogs.

A fantastic surprise in the OBX. A great trail run in a hidden gem smack in middle of Kill Devil Hills. Surprising variation in elevation along the run from blueberry and bumble gum. About a 4 mile or so run. One hill is killer for sure. My only down mark would be and also to some would not be a concern would be that the trails are very narrow. I make sure to search for ticks here as you are very much in the woods and there are spots that’ll are slightly overgrown and you will have to track through vegetation. That is also an endearing quality I like here too.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Beautiful early spring walk on sweetgum and blueberry trails. The trees growing out of the swamp are erie and majestic. These hikes were not wheel chair friendly. Nice place for pictures on wooden bridges near visitor center. Later in season make sure to have big spray!

Sunday, March 09, 2014

The shooting range is for the town police department, not a bunch of crazy north carolina gun lovin' rednecks. thanks for the snarky comment though.

Monday, April 15, 2013

What a wonderful reprieve from the 40 degree (April!) beach! The preserve trails were beautiful, quiet, peaceful, and much warmer. It was a little scary seeing some signs about shooting ranges being close by, but indication that we should be safe as long as we stay on the trail. I guess that's NC for you? Totally different vegetation than what we're used to on the West coast- very cool to see- green water was very neat, and my daughter had a lot of fun! Very happy to have found this place.

Friday, August 11, 2017