Summit Loop Trail

Summit Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hollister, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Roanoke Rapids, NC: Twenty-one miles southwest of Roanoke Rapids and 23 miles north of Rocky Mount. From I-95 follow NC 48 to SR 1002 between Brinkleyville and Ringwood. Turn west on to SR 1002 to park office. (This route also loops around to the SR 1322 entrance.) OR From I-95 follow NC 48 to NC 561 turning west and traveling to SR 1322. Head south on SR 1322 to park entrance. The quickest way to reach this trail is to park at the SR 1002 entrance. Trailhead is located in the parking area.

An excellent trail, actually intermediate and with mixed views! We only saw 2 other people the whole time. Trail full of surprises. Theres a pretty steep incline if you are injured or have weak knees stay away.
Cons: Tons of horse flies and spiders.

This was a nice hike with plenty of stream views.

Trail walking next to a stream for most of the way. No great view at the top.

Even though we hiked this in winter expecting some views through the woods, we really didn't see any. Elevation change to the summit is not too bad; we combined this with other trails to create a pretty good workout. Not a bad set of trails for this part of the state.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Great Trail! really enjoyed it. it was my first hike!

Sunday, December 13, 2015

It was okay but it would have been nicer in October

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I did this one a week ago. Another wonderful winter hiking trail.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

perfect park to get away from the hustle and bustle of our busy life. took my kids hiking and the loved it so much we are taking a 3 day camping trip there this weekend and hiking all of the trails!!!

Friday, July 04, 2014

Another great trail in Medoc Mountain State Park. I've hiked it numerous times and it's always enjoyable. There is some evidence of an old scout camp and a concrete dam along the trail.

Saturday, November 07, 2015