Sugarloaf Trail

Sugarloaf Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Carolina Beach, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Mostly flat coastal trail. Well maintained and marked.

Easy and short dog-friendly trails with beautiful views of the water. Lots of venus flytraps and painted buntings to be seen.

Keep an eye out for copperheads.

A great walk in the woods! Nothing like the AT or other Nelson county trails, but nevertheless it’s right here on the island and easy to walk up a sweat!

easy on the knees, amazing views! get there before 9am on a weekday and you're basically alone.

Awesome. Very well marked

Nice level hiking

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Tip: choose to go left first. This way, you will be rewarded with the best things to see at the end of your loop.
I enjoy this walk. I walk it a few times/year. There are some puddles areas of it's rained recently. Other than that, it's a good stroll through the woods in a nice coastal environment!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I have lived in the area for 27 years and this is the 1st time I have walked some of the trails. It's the island so not much elevation change. I went to find somewhere to get me in nature and start preparing for treks on the App Trail. You will see me out there alot.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

This trail has some pretty sights. It's a very easy loop. I did this for my morning coffee walk and it was very enjoyable.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Like everyone has said, not much more than a walk in the woods, but it is really great. Hiking along the shore is awesome and the pup loves it.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Very chill and relaxing but totally gorgeous. Surrounded by water and sand which made a great recipe for collecting thoughts and reflecting.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Like others have said....."only trail in New Hanover", so yes it's nothing more than a "stroll thru the woods" but it is beautiful! I'm a dog owner/lover, and I do agree...... Too many dogs on the trail! And by this, I am targeting "Un-Chained" dogs. Listen, I love my dog, and wish I could let my female Aussie loose too, but just because she doesn't bother me, doesn't mean she isn't bothering the family "around the bend" or the elderly couple concentrating on not tripping in the roots. People..... Please..... Use a leash! There is a time, and place to let them run, but on public trails isn't the prime place!
Other than that, trails are clean, well manicured, and well marked! I just want some ELEVATION!

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Nice hike - but in reality it is more of a nature walk. Still, the best trail in all of New Hanover County. You encounter several different ecosystems, and get some nice views, especially at the top of Sugarloaf Dune. If you mix in the loop with the other trails you can turn this into a nice 5 mile hike. Definitely not strenuous, but a pleasant way to spend 1.5-2 hours.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Sunday, February 02, 2014

There are not many trails in New Hanover County that inspire awe and this one isn't much different. It is above average for the area but not worth driving accross the state to hike. The upside: longleaf pine forrest, river view, the only slightly elevated "hill" in the Cape Fear region (sugarloaf), venus fly traps... the downside: lots of people with dogs, runners, not very long or isolated, not a lot of interesting things to see. The campground is actually not too bad. Nice bathrooms and showers and decent primitive campsites.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Do not use the driving directions! They take you to private property

Friday, July 20, 2012

Mostly flat beach trail. Some pine trees. Cool hike up a dune.