EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Stone Mountain Loop Trail

Stone Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Roaring Gap, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike around the granite dome at Stone Mountain State Park south of the Blue Ridge Parkway. A granite bulge forms the centerpiece of Stone Mountain State Park. Stone Mountain Loop takes you to the top of the bulge, past a scenic waterfall and through the restored homestead of a family that lived in the shadow of Stone Mountain for four generations. The park also provides an excellent side trip for travelers along the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway. Two trailheads at Stone Mountain State Park lead to the loop. While the Lower Trailhead in the park's northeast corner gets you to the base of the mountain more quickly, the far better hiking route is from the Upper Trailhead on the west side of the park. From there, you hike a short spur to reach the loop trail, hang a left, walk down past Stone Mountain Falls and then continue till the massive wall of granite starts to fill the background behind the thinning tree.. Slack-jawed wonder is a perfectly natural response to seeing Stone Mountain for the first time. Once you get your wits about you again, you can explore the Hutchinson family's homestead, occupied for a century from 1855 to 1955. Then it's a steep slog to the summit - a vast, sloping field of granite striped black by one rainstorm after another. Finally, it's all downhill to get back where you came from.

This trail has a lot to offer , great views of mountains and waterfall. It has little bit of everything . Will definitely come back here again. Quite some stairs but with some rest you can totally do it .

This trail is beautiful. There’s a. Very old small town on the trail that is historical info posted near each structure. The views are amazing. My gps said it was a 5.0 mile hike.

This is now one of my favorite hikes! The waterfall and the beautiful Mountain View’s made this hike so worth it! The trail is very well maintained. There are a LOT of steps, some muddy/ slippery spots, and some steep spots. We brought our dog along with us and she did very well! There were quite a few people on a Saturday and most did have dogs. I highly recommend this trail to everyone!

Great hike however way to crowded on Saturday.

amazing hike ! gets pretty difficult going up the stairs and i wouldn’t recommend it for anyone out of shape but all in all it was a great hike with amazing views throughout. 10/10 !

One of my favorite trails. Very good workout, great views and you're alongside the creek half of the time! Just note that it is a LOT harder going one way than the other, as on one side of Stone Mountain the ascent is very steep with a lot of stairs and on the other it is more gradual. Once you reach the split, if you go left it takes you by the waterfall first but then you've got the stairs up the side of Stone Mountain. Going right is the easier ascent up Stone Mountain and the waterfall will be at the end.

I hiked this trail yesterday morning. I started down at the lower parking lot trailhead and did the entire loop. It was an amazing experience. The views at the summit and the waterfalls was awesome. I saw an abundance of wildlife as well. Great trail!

Hiked this loop with my 2 children about 2 months ago. It was challenging at parts but mainly fun! We started off to the right. Will go then opposite way next time for more of a challenge. The waterfall, views and well marked routes were perfect!

Great hike that has it all! Great views from the top with lots of places to stop off the trail and take it all in! I did find parking at the east parking lot and going to the summit is the way to do this hike! Coming from the other direction to the top, you'll be climbing many narrow steps, much easier going down those narrow steps in my opinion. Seen plenty of people with children and dogs so I do believe it's a hike for the entire family.

We stayed at the park's campground, beautiful, clean and a return visit for sure. This time of the year and during the week made it extra special, only two other camper's in the campground.
Hiked both ways on the loop, it was an outstanding experience.

The trail is decent. there are always many people on this trail as this is the most popular trail in this SP. the view from the top is nice.

this trail has everything to offer... hills, stairs, waterfalls, scenery. rates second to Yosemite only.

Easily, one of my favorite hikes. Started at the Lower Trailhead. A lot of steps and rock faces to hike up, a lot of overlooks, and a 200 foot waterfall. Covered about 9 miles.

This was my favorite hike I've ever done! Highly recommend. Definitely start with the summit.

My gps said I did 6.5 miles for this loop. It was strenuous. Uphill both ways. Lots of steps. Took me and my pup about 4 and a half hours. Stopped at top of rock for snack and rest. It was a really nice hike though.

some amazing views. and one amazing waterfall. bucket list this one. you'll thank me

Beautiful hike. Took approximately 3-4 hours for novice hiker.

Beautiful views.

Moderate hike with phenomenal views! Took our time exploring and was done within 4 hours.

A bit crowded, but otherwise perfect. Challenging and beautiful.

Great hike with a little bit of everything!!

Incredible trails, well marked, wide trails. There are steps on each end of the loop, so pick your poison. Saw wildlife ,views and the waterfall was spectacular.

Amazing!! One of my favorite places to hike

Amazing views! Highly recommended!! Do the whole loop and you’ll see how different the landscape can be on top of vs. base of the mountain. Pick your poison: traveling counter-clockwise will mean wide uneven steps going down and standard wooden stairs going up, clockwise gives you the uneven stairs going up and wooden down. Any way you slice it LOTS of stairs. Strenuous at some points. Took us 3 hours with dogs.

Hiked it with my family today. it is OPEN.
it was a great time we did the loop.

Hiked Wolf, Cedar and lower Stone Mtn trails. Visited Hutchison Homestead having lunch with our hiking group. Trails, stairs and parking lots are well maintained. Enjoyed the sounds of babalying water in creeks by trails. View from Wolf tr as il of Stone Mtn summit is awesome.

Watch for deer crossing road when driving in and out of park.

Always a fun day hike with pets and friends!

Great views, historic scene, cool waterfall and just strenuous enough.

It’s ok. View is good but this trail is extremely crowded and is honestly a gravel road a lot of the way. If you do this one I would not do it on the weekend or expect a huge crowd.

Been hiking here for years! Beautiful views from up top!