Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Stone Mountain Hike is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hendersonville, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is a real workout, it ascends with grades from 10 - 15% constantly. On the way down do not miss the right turn!

Hiked trail on 2/22. Beautiful weather, muddy in some places.

An ok trail if there weren’t so many mountain bikers. Definitely NOT A DOG FRIENDLY trail since we had mountain bikers fly past us every 5 minutes. Out of all the trails I’ve hiked in the area, this was one of my least favorites.

So. much. hills. Still lots of fun

Great hike with some difficult sections close to the peak. Nice area to relax at the top before the way down. Was cool weather in June. Trail is mostly used for mountain biking and is rutted in some spots.

Sun Apr 28 2019

This was a fun hike. I went later in the day, and it was a pretty hot one. It's deceptive, though. This trail begins on the Rocky Ridge Trail, then you have to follow the signs for Stone Mountain. Rocky Ridge isn't a terrible trail. I thought I was in great shape. Then you hit the Stone Mountain trail. I think I left part of my soul at the top of that mountain. Great views from the top. Not much on the way up, but it's a nice wooded area. But it is crazy steep at the very top. Trail wasn't really marked, but super easy to follow. Watch out for mountain bikes and piles of horse poo.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Trail is a sometimes moderate, sometimes strenuous. I found the view payoff lacking for the amount of effort, I've had much better hikes elsewhere in the region. For Dupont, I'd recommend you stick to the various waterfalls and save your high stuff for somewhere else.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Careful in the last half mile, very rocky so be sure of your footing.

Mon Jan 28 2019

Labeled as strenuous but really more moderate. Excellent views, worth the hike.

Mon Dec 17 2018

4.5 mile trail not 3.5. View is pretty good but hard to find when you get to the top, especially in the snow. Main downfall with this hike is the horses really did a number on a good portion of the trail which made it extremely rocky, muddy and wet

Thu Dec 06 2018

I live just a mile from the trailhead on Old CCC. Hike this trail year round. Makes for a fun out and back day hike. Part of the trail near the end gets very overgrown with brush during the summer but keep pushing past that part to reach the summit. My favorite time to hike this trail is in the winter because it offers better views.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Very good for endurance training

Sun Sep 23 2018

This trail is everything but not hard! Its like a walk you normally do in the afternoon after lunch and has nothing to do with hiking. We did one day after the rain falls caused by the hurricane. As there is no path you walk up where the water flows: water proof shoes are suggested.

Fri Aug 24 2018

Hiked this for the 4th time last night and it's still my favorite hike in Dupont. If you're starting from trailhead on Old CCC, it's more like a 4.5 mile out and back. I would probably rate it more toward moderate than hard, except for the last 75 yards or so to the top....that part is a great finisher with an excellent payoff. overall, a great hike and theres a good chance you'll have it all to yourself.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Other than getting through the brush at the top it was great! Steady incline and beautiful views. It was completely empty on my Saturday mid-morning hike!

Sat Jul 28 2018

great hike! but the meadow was extremely overgrown, kinda tough to get through

Fri Jul 20 2018

It was a blast! After about 1 mile the trail gets very rocky and steep. Toward the end there was a section without trees and just grass and shrubs. To get an amazing view make sure to follow the little trail to the left of the overlook. I would definitely do this trail again!

Mon May 21 2018

Good trail. Empty on Sunday. Lots of water after the rain

Sat May 05 2018

This is a great trail. The only downside is the amount of bikers on the trail. As long as you pay attention you will be fine, but there is still a risk.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Amazing views and worth the effort

Tue Mar 27 2018

trail is amazing. definitely not for people who can't handle a good workout. sometimes seems like you'll never make it to the top. trail gets a little rough towards the top, and gets fairly steep. views from the top are worth it.

Fri Mar 16 2018

Hiked this trail today and it was gorgeous! Started around noon and the weather was just about perfect! The length is decent and the overall hike is definitely a challenge. Most of the hike includes some effort as you follow what seems like a dried up creek with lots of rocks and stones. The last part of the hike is definitely a climb, but it is definitely worth it once you make it to the top!

Mon Feb 19 2018

Went yesterday and it was definitely a good hike. Brought my dog, and she loved it. Its mostly a steady incline, until you get towards the end where it starts to incline a more and more, and you finally end up with a “home stretch” that’s practicaly a climb as you reach the lookout. The lookout itself is nice, but theres a bit too many trees in the way, so the view is a blocked off in some spots. Otherwise its a good view. Overall a pretty good hike.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Awesome views at the top. Will kick your butt getting there. Oh BTW, it's all worth it!

Sat Aug 26 2017

Sun Jul 02 2017

A lot more brush at the top than we expected so we didn't make it to the top. I would suggest leggings/long sleeves for this portion of the trail! The hike up was nice and cool. Also we did not see a sign for the Rocky Ridge trail to enter in - it was just a clearing to a trail at the intersection of Sky Valley and Old CCC (if you are on the gravel part, you have gone too far up Sky Valley road, if you get into residential areas on Old CCC road, you've gone too far). I would also suggest going to Guion Access for a general map of Dupont Forest!

Thu Dec 29 2016

Super short hike (about 1.3 miles each way) but very beautiful lookout at the top. Strenuous on the way up but doesn't last very long. The road up to the parking lot has lots of gravel so be careful!

Tue Dec 27 2016

A gorgeous hike! I loved it. Perhaps the best hike I've been on!

Mon Nov 14 2016

came here on a Girl scout trip. It was fantastic! I LOVED the views!

Sun Aug 21 2016

Was going to start at the old CCC road trailhead, but there was a yellow barricade. So I started from the rocky ridge trailhead further up the road. Makes it a much shorter and easier hike. The field toward the end is really overgrown with tons of bees so be careful. Had to bushwack to get through. Views at the top are worth the struggle.