Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Smokemont Loop Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,407 feet Route Type: Loop

Really enjoyed the solitude of the hike. The trail was in good shape and easy to follow. Very cool footbridge across the river.

Was an amazing day for this trail, lots of uphill climbing, it starts out pretty flat on horse trail at top of campground, about 2 miles in there will be an awesome footbridge on the left, it is well marked from here you will start your climb, it was really windy and a lite snow at the top, lots of rhodendren at top making for cool tunnels to hike through. My favorite part of the trail. Only saw one other couple on the trail

Peaceful trail with a large amount of ridge walking. A little nerve wracking if you have little ones with you.

Ended up being about 5.5 miles and just under 1300 feet of elevation gain. Mostly wooded trail with few views, but well maintained and a good workout.

Lots of rhododendron tunnels. No vistas. Big uphill stretch from 2.1 to 3.8 miles. Best part is after the bridle trial. Nice log bridge when you leave the bridle path.

Decided to get the heart racing and do a little run/hike with my wife. We decided counter clockwise was the way to go. We were able to run most of the trail until it crossed the stream, then it was very uphill for about 2 miles, then we got some more running in on the downhill. I loved the trail. The horse section was very nice for running and for the most part the entire trail was well maintained. Would go back for sure.

Thu May 02 2019

We only hiked up to the point where the trail goes over the river to the left. We hiked back the way we came. Very easy hike at that point along the river. Saw lots of butterflies and wild flowers in May.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Sun Nov 04 2018

Due to time, I could only do an hour so I did an out and back Starting from the north part of the campground. The trail was just starting to get interesting at my turnaround point, it was hard not to just keep going! Can’t wait to return and do the whole thing.

Tue Jul 17 2018

great walk! saw a huge bear about 15-20 feet away from me, we smelled each other and guessed what's the other's next move.. ended up alive to tell ;) was amazingly thrilling!

Wed May 30 2018

The park ranger called it a green tunnel and green tunnel it was. Moderate traffic especially for MDW. Took a side path to a cascade.

Fri Apr 06 2018

We hiked half of this trail last July. We looked at a map before heading in but 3 hrs and some bee stings later we weren't sure exactly how long the rest of the trail would be. Realizing, now, we should have kept going. We had our 5 kids and they really toughed this one out! (ages 4-14) This trail was beautiful and quite unique. Lots of flowers, mushrooms, and other beautiful foliage. If you're looking for a view, this is not the place to find one. If you want a nice hike while surrounded by nature's best, this is the one!

Thu May 18 2017

If you're looking for views as a payoff, this isn't your hike. Having said that, it's a beautiful hike. Very shaded, lots of flowers, and a nice cemetery at the end of the loop. Also, you very much get a workout if you do the loop (something like 1100 ft in a little over a mile)

Sun Apr 30 2017

This was my first hike ever in the Smokies and the trek uphill was quite long and strenuous. Almost 2 hrs up and about 1 hr back down. Maybe I'm a little out of shape? Probably. It was a beautiful hike though. There's partial views of the mountains once you reach the top.

Fri Apr 28 2017

Beautiful in the spring. Easy short hike.

Thu Apr 13 2017

pretty good incline. no views.

Sun Feb 12 2017

Nice little trail with convenient trailhead from the Smokemont campground. Took about 2:45 with plenty of breaks. There are some serene spots and the stream is gorgeous to walk along, although the trail, like a lot of the Smokies, doesn't offer a great view at the summit as you're still amongst the trees. I'd say it's a worthwhile hike if you're staying at Smokemont but not necessarily a destination trail otherwise.

Spider trail. I ate more webs and spiders than about any other trail in recent memory https://www.facebook.com/groups/JasonHikingPage/

Mon Jun 29 2015

This is a good hike that can take about 3.5 hours. You start with a climb and then have some downhill at the end, no matter which end you start from. The trail was in good condition and we had no trouble on the trail or on the approach path. Met a couple of other hikers, but ther was not a lot of other traffic to worry about. The campground was almost full but not that many people were on the long trail.

Sat Aug 23 2014

Beautiful hike. Gradual incline. 3.5 hrs. in no hurry. Only cons the horse manure and gnats the first couple of miles until we crossed the Bradley Fork.

Mon Sep 23 2013

I really liked hiking this trail. It took me a total of 6hrs I am a slow walker. It was a little bit over a up hill hike. But worth it I think I will go back after the leaves fall.

Sat Aug 24 2013

Very nice trail to do in the fall. Steady climb after a mile walk along the brook. Some open ledges closer to the summit. Try not to miss the summit; there is a log to sit, have a snack and enjoy the foliage.

Tue Aug 24 2010

Trail is near the Cherokee Indian Reservaion in NC. Decent trail with lots of trees.