Smokemont Loop Trail

Smokemont Loop Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

We hiked half of this trail last July. We looked at a map before heading in but 3 hrs and some bee stings later we weren't sure exactly how long the rest of the trail would be. Realizing, now, we should have kept going. We had our 5 kids and they really toughed this one out! (ages 4-14) This trail was beautiful and quite unique. Lots of flowers, mushrooms, and other beautiful foliage. If you're looking for a view, this is not the place to find one. If you want a nice hike while surrounded by nature's best, this is the one!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

If you're looking for views as a payoff, this isn't your hike. Having said that, it's a beautiful hike. Very shaded, lots of flowers, and a nice cemetery at the end of the loop. Also, you very much get a workout if you do the loop (something like 1100 ft in a little over a mile)

Sunday, April 30, 2017

This was my first hike ever in the Smokies and the trek uphill was quite long and strenuous. Almost 2 hrs up and about 1 hr back down. Maybe I'm a little out of shape? Probably. It was a beautiful hike though. There's partial views of the mountains once you reach the top.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Beautiful in the spring. Easy short hike.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

pretty good incline. no views.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Nice little trail with convenient trailhead from the Smokemont campground. Took about 2:45 with plenty of breaks. There are some serene spots and the stream is gorgeous to walk along, although the trail, like a lot of the Smokies, doesn't offer a great view at the summit as you're still amongst the trees. I'd say it's a worthwhile hike if you're staying at Smokemont but not necessarily a destination trail otherwise.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Spider trail. I ate more webs and spiders than about any other trail in recent memory

Monday, June 29, 2015

This is a good hike that can take about 3.5 hours. You start with a climb and then have some downhill at the end, no matter which end you start from. The trail was in good condition and we had no trouble on the trail or on the approach path. Met a couple of other hikers, but ther was not a lot of other traffic to worry about. The campground was almost full but not that many people were on the long trail.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Beautiful hike. Gradual incline. 3.5 hrs. in no hurry. Only cons the horse manure and gnats the first couple of miles until we crossed the Bradley Fork.

Monday, September 23, 2013

I really liked hiking this trail. It took me a total of 6hrs I am a slow walker. It was a little bit over a up hill hike. But worth it I think I will go back after the leaves fall.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Very nice trail to do in the fall. Steady climb after a mile walk along the brook. Some open ledges closer to the summit. Try not to miss the summit; there is a log to sit, have a snack and enjoy the foliage.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Trail is near the Cherokee Indian Reservaion in NC. Decent trail with lots of trees.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017