Shope Creek Road Loop

Shope Creek Road Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 390 feet Route Type: Loop

fun Sunday morning hike

Trail was really nice, but was more strenuous than I expected. I did the loop to the right and there were a few really steep inclines that were a struggle for me (I’m SO out of shape). There are a few places during the hike that requires you crossing a creek. I just wore tennis shoes, so my feet were a bit wet, but nothing uncomfortable. The way back was a nice steady decline that was easy to walk!

Interesting terrain but could really benefit from having some way markers - lots of paths forking off to who knows where. We hiked almost two miles without finding the waterfall we’d hoped to see. It’s a steady up-hill single track thigh-builder going up and a glute-grabber coming down. No wonder off-road cyclists enjoy its technical challenges.

I should preface this by stating that I did not do the recorded hike shown in red on this map. I simply used this map to do my own longer hike. So these comments are about the overall map of this area. This trail system is close to my house so that’s wonderful but please be careful when hiking here. Trails are not well marked and the map on here is showing some trails that seem to no longer exist. I set out to do a loop but it took over an hour longer than anticipated because 4 trails this map showed were no longer there requiring me to go much further than I anticipated. Some of the trails I did find were not well worn and a little bit of a challenge to find/follow at times. However some trails in this system are super well worn and in great shape (mostly because they are the ones well suited for bikers to ride so they keep them beat down). (Bikers seem to love this place) But if you are a hiker and are setting out toward some of the steeper trails on this map, beware they may not be there or be barely discernible in spots. Frankly alltrails needs a new updated map of this area. So enjoy but be careful you don’t set out with a plan only to not be able to do it as this map shows and run out of daylight.

Will be prettier when flowers bloom and green returns

lots of trails that offshoot the main loop. well maintained and peaceful. looks like mountain bikers really enjoy the area. trails not marked so careful which ones you take.