Shady Hollow and Pine Hollow Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(56)
McDowell Nature Preserve

Shady Hollow and Pine Hollow Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlotte, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail is nice has some up and downs and some shade and some sunshine highly recommend it I did it with my wife we had no trouble

Decent hike that’s not far from Charlotte that wasn’t too crowded.

Nice and easy!!

I started on the King Fischer trail- beautiful and narrow and following the water’s edge. But it quickly ends, and I wanted to go much farther.I backtracked and jumped on the Shady Hollow trail towards the Nature Center. This was my favorite segment of the 2 mile hike. From there, I took the Sierra/connector trail until I reached the Chestnut trail, which I took to the campgrounds. Finally, I walked through the primaries sites to reach the other end of the King Fischer Trail. When I come back, I will just do the Chestnut Trail in entirety.

the trail is sometimes hard to follow it is closer to easy than moderate

Fri May 31 2019

Awesome, casual hike with varying landscape. Definitely worth the trip!

Wed May 08 2019

This trail is well traveled and heavily shaded which is nice. I found myself a little confused at a couple of the junctions but I figured it out. The trail also picks up the cove trail. I would hike this trail again but I don’t think I’d recommend it to a beginner.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Sun Jul 01 2018

Very heavily forested area with lots of sun cover, lots of insects, so many different types of plants and fungi. Definitely recommend this place to anyone who is passing through the area and has a few hours to stop in for a quick hike.

Tue Jun 19 2018

Nice area with more trails than the loop shown here. All in there are about 8 miles of wooded hiking/walking trails, as well as a small interpretive center that even loans fishing poles for free. Most of the trails appear pretty well marked, though a couple of trail junctions were at parking areas so you have to look around a bit.