Secret Falls Trail

Secret Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile out and back trail located near Highlands, North Carolina that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

I would say this was a moderate to hard hike in rain. Elevation wasn't a huge deal, pretty average considering you're going down to a waterfall and back up to the trailhead. The rain though had washed out some chunks of the trail. Also, it wasn't cleared out very well in some spots. Had to weave through some downed trees. Well worth the trek though. I came in via Walkingstick Rd. I don't have fourwheel drive and was slipping on the loose gravel. Definitely need an SUV or truck if you come that way. Supposedly you can also come down from 28 and it's a lot better road.

lived this hike and falls!

The road to get there was very narrow and all gravel. Extremely difficult to have a car going each way. We ended up turning around because we couldn’t find where the trail began and the road getting there had us uneasy.

My grandmother was Essie McCall and born in 1898 near Walking Stick Road above Big Creek.
Why it is called Secret Falls is beyond me.I have hiked the Three Forks Trail and the Big Creek Trail.
There are 18 waterfalls in the area. I discovered some of these waterfalls by talking to the Owens and McCall's.

This waterfall is located near where I grew up and it is called The Big Shoals. Please don't go trying to change the name of our waterfalls!!

recorded Secret Falls Trail