Schoolkids Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sanford, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 262 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Small loop off the River Trail The Schoolkids Trail, a small loop off the River Trail, leads to the site of a cable bridge that provided a passage across the Rocky River in the 1920s for people visiting neighbors and children walking to school.

Nice trail, there is some washout near the river but it’s easy enough to navigate. The “loop” is generous in terminology. It’s a definite out and back. Nice trail.

Wed Jan 09 2019

I didn't find this trail to be a loop. Maybe it has changed since the hurricanes? I don't know. I walked in till I came to a 3-way fork which ended up being near the fork of the rivers which I knew was not like the app is showing. At the 3 way fork, the yellow trail marker (Schoolkids) only showed going back where I just came from and the other two forks showed different trails. I'm not sure if I messed up but I did stay on the yellow markers the entire time until that point and it just ended and that was it. I ended up crossing 2 trails, following my GPS to get out before dark.

Sat Aug 20 2016

It's a sort of small loop. My small child was easily able to walk around the entire thing. you can get right down to the river, which is nice. Im posting this in August and the bugs are definitely overwhelming right now though!

Fri Dec 21 2012

Quick trail worth a visit for the historical aspects and scene of the appropriately named Rocky River. Cable bridge remnants made more interesting by the info provided by the Triangle Land Conservancy online pamphlet. http://www.triangleland.org/assets/images/uploads/White_Pines_guide.pdf

recorded Schoolkids Trail