Sarah Duke Gardens

Sarah Duke Gardens is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durham, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

city walk

historic site

We used to walk our dog throughout the gardens - with respect to the beauty and care that has gone into their upkeep. Used as a place to enjoy strolls with our dog, it was a wonderful place to spend a quiet afternoon. I would have given 4 stars. As of Jan 2017, dogs are no longer allowed in the gardens. We have not returned.

Absolutely the peak time to visit is in April and May, but the Duke Gardens always offer something unique, from exotic plants to beautiful rows and rows of flowers, a Japanese teahouse, sculptures, and lots of people. Our short hour was filled with eye candy and could see ourselves laying out a blanket and chillin’ all afternoon. Don’t miss it!

It's beautiful!!

I have been to the gardens several times in the past, but it had been many years since my last visit. I am absolutely amazed at how much it has expanded since then. In addition to the historic garden, there is a native plants garden, a gorgeous Asiatic arboretum and a discovery garden and center. Each section is quite large, with many areas to explore. My younger daughter had fun getting close to the many types of colorful ducks and geese congregating on the Fish Pond. We will definitely be back in the spring prepared to spend more time when most of it is in bloom!

Easy walk in a beautiful garden, is especially beautiful in the spring.

Saturday, September 10, 2016