Salem Lake Trail

Salem Lake Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Winston-Salem, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Please be mindful you will share this trail with equestrians along with runners, walkers and bikers.

Beautiful scenic loop around Salem lake. You share the loop with cyclists but that is ok during cold season fall winter. I wouldn't call it a trail running it's just an easy loop with natural surface which is perfect for faster runs.

Fun, scenic, amazing trail

Fun, scenic & a lovely way to start the day.

Trail is closed to horses on weekends. Because we don't have jobs during the week!

Pretty nice trail, beautiful view of the lake. Most people on bikes warn you when they are approaching.

Simple trail and clean.

This is an excellent trail for a run. After not trailing running for a long I decided to give it a go. It was beautiful and the distance makes it for a great workout. I met only friendly faces while running. I definitely recommend this place.

paddle sports

Have been doing this trail for some time on a kayak and love it. Easy to get in and out of water. Not many people on the lake more people fishing then on kayaks. I prefer to go on a weekday then weekend less people.

Really really really wish the bikers would use proper trail etiquette and let walkers know what side they're coming up on behind them. I don't come to this trail as often as I could because of the bikes. Otherwise wonderful trail that makes walking the 7 miles seem easy. Wildlife sightings often, I moved both a box turtle and a black snake from the trail today - watch for our wildlife critters!

private property

Great shady path. Beautiful ride. We are amateur cyclist who bike between 5-15 miles at a time. The path is not asphalt, but is a packed dirt that is well-maintained in most areas. The winding path following the lake provides elevation changes that were challenging for us without being discouraging. I noted signs allowing horses but thankfully we saw no manure or divots from horse shoes. The primary negative experience was when cyclists tore around the trail like they were training for the Tour de France. I appreciate that high-level cyclists also need a spot to practice - I admire their dedication and skill - but it was nerve-wracking as they sped past us in both directions at high speeds without regard to how quickly we could move out of the way. I have to believe they are comfortable with the consequences if a child or other less experienced cyclist cannot clear the path in time. This trail also offer clean restrooms and a boat launch, though the lake is in full-sun, so be ready to cook on a hot day.

The flies are a big problem.

Fantastic 6.8 mile loop trail. Me and a buddy used this trail almost exclusively during our long distance runs for marathon and half training. We are typically in this trail around 5-6am when there is almost no traffic but during the day this trail is frequently used by bikers, runners and walkers. Fantastic trail!

I so enjoyed this little hike, got in 8 miles. The path is clear and easy on joints. This would be a great place to take first time hikers

Well groomed, mostly paved. Easy trails, no bug elevations or uneven ground. Great easy hike or ride.

Great Trail, flat, good for long walking.

At the end of the trail take the paved trail to completely finish. I took the dirt trail and ended up in a dead zone near the damn with no way out.

This is a good place for a walk, but I don't call it a trail.

Wed Jan 02 2019

Excellent gravel trail. Great for biking and running. Beautiful views of the lake.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Beautiful trail but somewhat mediocre for road biking. Mostly packed earth with fair number of ruts, eroded areas and washouts, so probably better for mountain bikes or hybrids. I was here in late Dec, but I bet this venue is gorgeous in the fall. I'd love to come back during that season with a different bike. The map provided at the marina is virtually worthless, so I recommend seeking out a better one online.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Great for bike, run, or walk. Also, great with or without your pups. There are also some trails off into the woods that are accessable by foot or by bike that are a little less crowded than the main trail.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Great view of the lake for almost the whole trail. Tends to be crowded though. Go early and/or during cooler months.

Sun Oct 21 2018

easy walk with large path for bikes too

Sat Sep 22 2018

Nice easy ride. Will be coming back!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Nice trail. Very crowded at times but everyone is mostly friendly. Most of the bikers are good and give u commands and of course some are rude and come very close because they dont want to hit their brakes. Its hard to fix stupidity! Not the trails fault and I will keep going back

Tue Sep 04 2018

Great exercise trail

Mon Aug 13 2018

Very nice and easy walking. Long but easy!!