Learn more

Salem Lake Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Winston-Salem, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Please be mindful you will share this trail with equestrians along with runners, walkers and bikers.

16 minutes ago

I enjoyed the trail, we got there at around 7 am and it was busy with running groups. The hike, however, did not feel crowded. Trail conditions were good for the purposes of my walk.

Great day for a long walk with the dog! Lots of people on bikes and out kayaking. If you’re going to run this trail I’d recommend going left (follow the dirt path to cross the intersection with the park gate to the boating area and stop signs) to start out and getting all of your elevation gain and full sun exposure areas out of the way first thing. Lots of wildlife out. I’ll definitely be coming back!

Moderate traffic, good trail for running

Relaxing walk, lots of active wildlife, plenty of space to distance from the other few hikers that were out on a Wednesday morning. Bathrooms are still closed.

Great trail. Kids loved it!

I would recommend this trail!! Longer then I expected but 1/2 way through there was bathrooms and water fill up station. Beautiful. If walking bring snacks!

Cool place to be

My favorite trail in the area. Awesome run, walk, hike. Secluded once you get into the trail a bit but there’s usually always people you pass or go by. Very wide trail too so you can keep your distance from others. By far my favorite.

Great trail. Crowded.

Great. Mostly shaded, easy path to follow. Busy.

Long for a city trail but relatively easy and the scenery is good. Wide enough trail that bikers and other hikers can keep their distance from each other. It is a great trail to walk with your dog.

Beautiful scenic loop around Salem lake. You share the loop with cyclists but that is ok during cold season fall winter. I wouldn't call it a trail running it's just an easy loop with natural surface which is perfect for faster runs.

Fun, scenic, amazing trail

Fun, scenic & a lovely way to start the day.

Trail is closed to horses on weekends. Because we don't have jobs during the week!

Pretty nice trail, beautiful view of the lake. Most people on bikes warn you when they are approaching.

Simple trail and clean.

This is an excellent trail for a run. After not trailing running for a long I decided to give it a go. It was beautiful and the distance makes it for a great workout. I met only friendly faces while running. I definitely recommend this place.

paddle sports

Have been doing this trail for some time on a kayak and love it. Easy to get in and out of water. Not many people on the lake more people fishing then on kayaks. I prefer to go on a weekday then weekend less people.

Really really really wish the bikers would use proper trail etiquette and let walkers know what side they're coming up on behind them. I don't come to this trail as often as I could because of the bikes. Otherwise wonderful trail that makes walking the 7 miles seem easy. Wildlife sightings often, I moved both a box turtle and a black snake from the trail today - watch for our wildlife critters!

private property

Great shady path. Beautiful ride. We are amateur cyclist who bike between 5-15 miles at a time. The path is not asphalt, but is a packed dirt that is well-maintained in most areas. The winding path following the lake provides elevation changes that were challenging for us without being discouraging. I noted signs allowing horses but thankfully we saw no manure or divots from horse shoes. The primary negative experience was when cyclists tore around the trail like they were training for the Tour de France. I appreciate that high-level cyclists also need a spot to practice - I admire their dedication and skill - but it was nerve-wracking as they sped past us in both directions at high speeds without regard to how quickly we could move out of the way. I have to believe they are comfortable with the consequences if a child or other less experienced cyclist cannot clear the path in time. This trail also offer clean restrooms and a boat launch, though the lake is in full-sun, so be ready to cook on a hot day.

The flies are a big problem.

Tue May 28 2019

Fantastic 6.8 mile loop trail. Me and a buddy used this trail almost exclusively during our long distance runs for marathon and half training. We are typically in this trail around 5-6am when there is almost no traffic but during the day this trail is frequently used by bikers, runners and walkers. Fantastic trail!

Sat May 25 2019

I so enjoyed this little hike, got in 8 miles. The path is clear and easy on joints. This would be a great place to take first time hikers